Be on alert, Shadgardians!

A mining settlement and haven for freedom-seeking exiles, recently beginning to embrace gas and steam technologies.
Rias
DEV

Be on alert, Shadgardians!

Post by Rias »

There has been quite a bit of buzz around Shadgard regarding a notice posted in the Town Commons today about some unknown potential threat, signed by Shadgard's Militia Captain. While townsfolk are remaining relatively calm and level-headed, there's a definite sense of anxiety in the air about the dusty mining town, and more townsfolk are keeping some kind of armament close at hand on their belts.

((This doesn't mean something's about to happen immediately, but who knows what little incidents might occur over the next few days leading up to the moment the shoe drops? Or if there's a shoe to drop at all!))
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Be on alert, Shadgardians!

Post by Rias »

I hope everybody at least OOCly enjoyed the madness today! If anyone was ignored by any of the NPCs please know that it was completely unintentional - with so much going on and so many "named" NPCs involved in multiple locations at once, there was a lot of frantic running around trying to keep track of everything and respond to things appropriately. I hope it was an overall positive experience seeing a bunch of NPCs get involved, because it was a ton of fun making it happen from this side of the curtain. The hope was to make the town feel a bit more alive and let some of its more prominent members be seen getting directly involved in the goings-on. It should be assumed they're doing so in some capacity in the background anyway, but it's fun to actually see them doing things and not always just relying on background-NPC-assumptions.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

The entire council taking part was epic to see, tbh. Didn't expect that. Hell, even the retired adventurer and Molly took part! +Hello sniping holes. Miss it.
Thank you gms for being awesome!
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

Had a lot of fun!

Really enjoyed all the cameos and it really did feel like the town was alive.
Navi

Post by Navi »

I had an insane amount of fun. Molly just popping up was the best. I know events that draw on NPCs isn't super common, but seeing their interactions was great. Hopefully it had a great return for the investment. Go team Shadgard go!
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Following the recent announcement about the Eavesdropping effect being automatically applied to some portals: It has been applied to the holes between the upper and lower gatehouse. This should fix the issue of melee defenders down below and ranged snipers up above feeling separated or left out of general town defense conversation that tends to go on in those rooms. If picks up on the output of SAY, parses out speech from emotes, and also conveys audible output of verbs like LAUGH, SNEEZE, COUGH, etc.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
silly

Post by silly »

Thanks for the changes! I was already loving what I had to do, this will certainly make it more fun.
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

A small update: The town gate is now a "gate" on both sides, rather than being a gate on the inside and a gatehouse on the outside. Sorry if this throws anyone off, though I imagine just about everyone already abbreviated it to GO GATE anyway.

Don't worry about why this was done. Nothing to see here.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
silly

Post by silly »

Rias wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:37 pm Following the recent announcement about the Eavesdropping effect being automatically applied to some portals: It has been applied to the holes between the upper and lower gatehouse. This should fix the issue of melee defenders down below and ranged snipers up above feeling separated or left out of general town defense conversation that tends to go on in those rooms. If picks up on the output of SAY, parses out speech from emotes, and also conveys audible output of verbs like LAUGH, SNEEZE, COUGH, etc.
Somewhat related to this: At the moment, it is only possible to target the first hostile in the room when firing through a portal. Being able to specify targets would be extremely helpful.
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.