Glyphs for everyone

The usage of arcane glyphs and diagrams to power a wide variety of occult rituals.
nobody

Glyphs for everyone

Post by nobody »

I recently heard that suggestions are needed for more mundane glyph uses, so I thought about that from two directions:
1 - a simple thing a glyph could do leading to a mechanical impact
2 - mechanics that could be use some occult wonder, so long as it doesn't mess with skill investment value elsewhere

Suggestions that flow from glyph idea to mechanical effect:
  • Fortourgy umbrella - stay dry in the rain
  • Fortourgy snow shoes - make walking through heavy snow not cost travel time.
  • Jump enhancement glyph - reduce mounting time by 1s, reduce energy cost of climbing upward (does nothing for downward climbs)
Suggestions that flow from game mechanics to glyph ideas:
  • Crushing ore is kinda terrible. A glyph that makes ore brittle to reduce crush time (or for the lucky Shadgard residents, reduce the amount of steam crusher pressure consumed) would be cool.
  • A glyph that seperates metal ore from stone (converts an ore bearing stone to barren and produces an ore powder?) would be even more useful, even if the energy cost of the glyph is the same as manually crushing ore.
  • A glyph that reduces (halves?) falling damage, maybe by making you weigh less (and be easier to knock down?)
  • Digging is manual labor that requires no skill, so it wouldn't really step on anyone's toes if there were a glyph to make it easier (digging clay, sand, worms, dirt... wells?)
The climbing glyphs would be most valuable for explorers (adventurers) who actually climb on the regular (and thus are likely to have higher climb skill). As long as benefit scales more with climb skill than arcana skill, it shouldn't change who we expect to see climbing.
Prism

Re: Glyphs for everyone

Post by Prism »

I suggest shower glyph.

Draw circle, draw glyph, step inside, water rushes around you and cleans you off. Repeat for burst of hot air that dries you off
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I'd love to see little low-point cost "vanity" glyphs. Different varieties of colorful Lumourgic displays (basically little flameless/smokeless fireworks), which could get really cool for Arcanists with their more advanced separators (and especially if they get glyphs that allow for delayed reactions, etc.). Pre-programmed noises and sounds (varying from animal noises to unnerving, hollow howling wind), being able to temporarily cause items to glow (although that might be more of a future thing to do with distyr), little pre-programmed Lumourgic scenes - essentially holograms of specific things on repeat.

I think once glyphs can be unlearned, being able to pick up a couple of "oh this is fun" glyphs would be great for non-Arcanists, and having "these are fun and let's see what we can do with ADVANCED ARCANE TECHNIQUES" sounds like it'd be cool for Arcanists to play around with :)
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I'm just going to say, one second reduced mounting time could potentially be bonkers levels of good, for 400 riding players. I don't recall offhand if 400 Riding is one or two seconds of roundtime, because I have no active 400 Riding characters ATM. At least on my Marauder it would have been super good, because I tended to have to mount and dismount midfight to get off staggers and whatnot to remain viable. This was not the case with Dreadnought.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Magic Mouth - Speak a line while standing in the circle, and the next time someone enters the room the mouth will say the thing you said before it vanishes. Leave traces of yourself where you go! It'll be like a time diluted concentrated version of Solca! Bonus points if it says it using your name, tone, etc.

Sky vision - reflect the current sky appearance in your circle. Good for stargazing indoors.

Skywriting - Write in the clouds with this magic occult. Goes well with sky vision or just craning your neck upwards.

Moonlit weapon - makes the weapon you're holding emit a candle's glow when drawn. Sheath to obscure, unsheath for effect to continue as long as duration (or dismissal).

Stop bleeding - What it says. Sometimes you run out of bandages and you need to stop bleeding. Quickly draw this magic circle on your body to stop bleeding. Does not heal wounds, just stops energy drain over time.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

A glyph that can be cast on a container to conceal its contents from others, causing it to appear empty. Revealing them might be possible by SEARCHing it with high Perception or Arcana. May be used in combination with a new Artifice vanish sleight of hand option.
Guillaumo

Post by Guillaumo »

On the theme of more Public Glyphs, I had a few thoughts.

Celerity: Provides a 0.5 second reduction in Round Time for the duration of the effect. If cast by an Arcanist, this effect will be doubled.

Dodge: Remove the Dodge Buff from IQUAJ, and transfer it to a new dedicated dodge buff which has a similar buff effect to other skill buffs (+60).

Armor: Provides a garment with a 30% Level of Protection to all damage types for the duration of the effect.

Fleet of Foot: Reduces Travel Time by 1 for the duration of the effect.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I moved this from the other post I made because I wanted to centralize the ideas.

Here are some ideas for lesser non-Arcanist specific glyphs that everyone can learn. These are things that affect everyone in their day-to-day. cleaning, the need for privacy, the need for vision, and general bonuses to statistics are the core thoughts here. Otherwise I also thought of general skills for exploration, or ones that enhance activities that aren't arcanist-specific.

Glyph: ethys (Soothing):
This glyph creates a calming effect that reduces stress and anxiety for those in its area of effect.
OOC description: (Grants bonuses to meditation and morale for the affected for the duration.)
Usage: Draw the ethys glyph as part of an occult diagram.

Glyph: elun (Illumination)
The elun glyph causes a small sphere of light to appear, providing temporary illumination that follows you around for the duration.
OOC description: (A small sphere of light illuminates a small area similar to a candle, and follows the caster around.)
Usage: draw the elun glyph as part of an occult diagram.

Glyph: zalas (Endurance)
This glyph causes its target to gain a boost of endurance, reducing exhaustion from foot-travel and allowing them to travel further on foot. Sustaining the effect will draw on the energy of the one who originally drew the diagram until the effect fades or is dismissed.
OOC description: (Grants a small bonus to hunger loss and energy while travelling in the wilderness, reducing fatigue from travel on foot. Max energy is reduced by 20 for the caster.)
Usage: draw the zalas glyph as part of an occult diagram, then activate the diagram via an activator glyph. Stepping within the boundaries of the diagram will grant the endurance boost.

Glyph: jeth (Anchor)
The jeth glyph creates an anchor point, providing a stable platform for the caster or others to use for hanging rope.
OOC description: (Creates a stable anchor point in the circle, acting as a hanging point for pitons.)
Usage: draw the jeth glyph as part of an occult diagram. The anchor point will appear, providing a stable platform for the caster or others to hang rope from.

Glyph: liro (Cleanse)
The liro glyph causes a purifying energy to flow from the diagram, cleansing the area of impurities.
OOC description: (Removes dirt, blood, gore, and smelly tags from characters and items in their hands when the effect is activated.)
Usage: draw the liro glyph as part of an occult diagram. The purifying energy will flow from the diagram, cleansing the area around it.

Glyph: edil (Sound Barrier):
This glyph creates a sound barrier, preventing sounds from passing through.
OOC description: (Stops sounds from passing outside of the circle, making it ideal for private conversations or stealth operations.)
Usage: draw the liro glyph as part of an occult diagram.

Glyph: sohys (Sound Ward):
This glyph protects the caster from certain fear-inducing or harmful sounds, such as shouting or loud noises.
OOC description: (Grants the caster protection from harmful sounds, such as shouting or loud noises.)
Usage: draw the sohys glyph as part of an occult diagram.

Glyph: lytse (Echoing)
The `lytse` glyph allows the caster to distort and throw their voice, making it seem as though someone else were speaking from another location.
OOC description: (Voice is distorted and echoes in the room, making it seem like it's coming from a different location.)
Usage: draw the `lytse` glyph as part of an occult diagram and use the command 'cast voice <text>' to use the ability.

Glyph: gryz (Luminous Burst):
This glyph causes a burst of light to shine from its associated diagram, momentarily dazzling anyone other than the caster and their allies.
OOC description: (A burst of light that briefly blinds anyone not in the caster's group, potentially staggering them, lowering their perception. and giving penalties to accuracy.)
Usage: draw the gryz glyph as part of an occult diagram, then activate the diagram via an activator glyph.

Glyph: zirax (Steady Footing): This glyph enhances the target's sense of balance and stability, allowing them to maintain their footing even in difficult conditions.
OOC description: (Grants bonuses to defending against losing balance or being knocked prone, and reduces penalties for environmental hazards, such as slippery surfaces or unsteady ground.)
Usage: draw the zirax glyph as part of an occult diagram.

Glyph: vakys (Pressurization):
This glyph can be used to pressurize a canister, such as an air canister for a pneumatic weapon or refillable canister.
OOC description: (Pressurize an air canister for use in a pneumatic weapon or refillable canister.)
Usage: Draw the vakys glyph as part of an occult diagram, and hold the pneumatic weapon or refillable canister in your right hand.

Glyph: hyart (Vapor to Water):
The hyart glyph causes moisture from the air to condense and collect in a container, providing the caster with drinking water.
OOC description: ()
Usage: Draw the hyart glyph as part of an occult diagram, and the spell will fill a container in your right hand with clean drinking water.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

While I'm not terribly sure how glyphs work, it would be neat to see some of them drawn on a material, i.e. leather, and when energy is applied to them, burnt into the material, causing the glyph's effect to transfer over to the wearer. Perhaps add a "craftmark line" stating the garment has a "(bright, shining, shimmery, dim, barely noticeable) (aura color) glyph burnt into it".

That way, things like the armor glyph (which I would LOVE, btw - I dislike wearing armor) can be applied to clothing and have a relatively easy to read timer associated with it.

There was mention above about a concealment glyph, which I would like, but just to hide the item from your seen inventory. Armor glyphs would be great, too, for those who want to just walk around in clothes all the time, or have a need to keep armor level down. Fleet of foot would be neat for the slower mounts, mules and what have you, but might need a much larger circle to envelope them ( I don't know how big these circles should be RP'd as).

Did I mention armor glyphs?
Guillaumo

Post by Guillaumo »

Arcane Intellect glyph. While under its effect, it increases the maximum size of your buffer based on your caster's Arcana Skill.

That's all for this time!