A few questions about the Infested

General discussion about the world and lore of COGG.
Prism

A few questions about the Infested

Post by Prism »

I was randomly struck with a bit of curiosity regarding the infestation, and had a few questions. Feel free to answer them or not answer them at your whim. EXCEPT ONE. I -NEED- an answer to one.

The 1: Do the infested eat people?

They're eating something, right? RIGHT? If so-- do they eat animals? Plants? Mushrooms? People? Or would this bee viewed by the host as a waste of a potential host? (Please say they eat people.)

2: How, and Do, they communicate with each other?

With words? Through some sort of pheremone release? Grunts and groans? Body language? Mushroom telepathy?

3: Are all non-infested life forms viewed as potential hosts? Would, say, eating a non-infested host be considered a waste of a potential host body by the hive mind? Does it have a way of considering viability of potential hosts?

4: Can the infestation animate recently-deceased corpses via fungal locomotion? Are only living hosts considered viable?

5: Am I insane for wanting the infested to eat people so badly? (I think it'd just make them all the more horrifying, okay?)\

Trust me when I say I'll think of more of these. But I really want to know if they eat people so I know how fast I need to make my Tse-Gaiyan character.
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Rias
DEV

Re: A few questions about the Infested

Post by Rias »

1. Sure, they eat. They eat a lot of things. Do you have any reason to think they'd specifically avoid people in particular?

2. Good question. They've been seen using the communication methods of their hosts, but it's assumed they have some other means of communication as well. What that is, they're not saying - at least not in a communication method we understand.

3. Go get infested sometime and let us know the answer! As for what we know, there sure are a lot of cases of infested creatures, from plants to bugs to reptiles to mammals to birds to just about anything, it seems. It doesn't seem to do as well in cold or underwater environments, so that's a plus, but it's not completely absent from those environments either. (Quick, make a Crackpot Theory post based on that information!)

4. There don't seem to be any common examples of it happening. Maybe we just haven't seen or recognized them.

5. You had me at the first three words.

There may be more in-world information available that's relevant to these questions, but you'd have to get in touch with your local resen expert. Here's hoping Tse Gaiyan members become more available as they make progress on establishing their local chapter in our neck of the Lost Lands!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Prism

Re: A few questions about the Infested

Post by Prism »

Rias wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:42 pm 1. Sure, they eat. They eat a lot of things. Do you have any reason to think they'd specifically avoid people in particular?
Well-- I asked specifically because we see a lot of infested people. So one would think that they probably -try- to avoid eating them, at the least. But.. You know. I like the way you aren't saying no.

Can't wait to get bitten by an infested guard and be horrified.
Rias wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:42 pm 3. Go get infested sometime and let us know the answer! As for what we know, there sure are a lot of cases of infested creatures, from plants to bugs to reptiles to mammals to birds to just about anything, it seems. It doesn't seem to do as well in cold or underwater environments, so that's a plus, but it's not completely absent from those environments either. (Quick, make a Crackpot Theory post based on that information!)
Challenge accepted.
Rias wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:42 pm
5. You had me at the first three words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMrDUOe2uuk

Oh, thank you so much for answering these. I'm tickled, tickled, tickled pink by it. Watch my opinion of the infested drastically change IC now that I realize they're EATING US. THEY'RE LITERALLY EATING US GUYS OH MY GOD
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "