Ranged combat feedback

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
ThresherAle

Ranged combat feedback

Post by ThresherAle »

I finally bit the bullet and am actually investing into ranged combat. Here are my thoughts so far:

I think there needs to be some kind of ranged attack that gives rerolls similar to True Strike that can be used when aimed shot can't be used. Aim shot is nice for starting off from stealth, but it can't be used otherwise because the aim takes 5 seconds and gets interrupted by just about everything. It's a nice situational move and I'm glad we have it, but it's very situational.

The variety of ranged weapons is nice.

The bows: Keeping it simple. You hold the bow, you have arrows on you somewhere, and you just fire away. Easy. The variety of speed and damage between shortbow and longbow gives options, and that's always nice to have.
The sling is basically a bow but with crush damage. Considering the differences in all the other ranged weapons it feels like the sling should have a gimmick of its own.
Crossbow is nice that you can pre-load your RT and guerilla, or lead with it and swap to something else. I think it could use a little more punch by doing puncture damage.
Flintlock pistol is the most thematic for my character so I have the strongest feelings about it. It's nice that you don't ever get into high RT since it's split up between the two loading actions for gunpowder and shot. Maintaining powder and shot, with shot not being recoverable, is a pain. Shot can get heavy since you have to carry so much with you. This weapon seems like the most trouble to use while being the least effective as a weapon. If the answer is that you should carry 20 of them on you for quick swapping shots, I'm going to say that feels real cheesy. The flintlock needs something to make it feel worth the hassle, the extra items and riln cost required to operate it, and inability to recover ammo. The easiest start would be to just up its damage since it doesn't do very much, about on par with a shortbow. It might also be given its own damage type and be less resisted than pierce. I don't think it should be as good as puncture, which I think should be for crossbows only for ranged. I've also heard about plans for flintlocks needing cleaning and maintenance at some point, so they are really going to need something to counter all the hassle they are to use. I like that they have intricacies, I just think they need some improvements in effectiveness to balance that out.
Pneumatic pistol is nice that you don't need powder so you can load only shot and fire quicker while you've still got enough pressure that the damage doesn't get too pitiful. If these were my style I'd carry a few on me and swap when pressure gets low. As it is I like having one as a backup weapon. I think they could use a slight damage boost.

I understand the opinion around here is that ranged might not be expected to be on par with melee and I'm fine with that. I'm having fun with it so far. When in groups you can just fire away from stealth or while being guarded so group combat with ranged seems okay. I've had a lot more fun when I've had someone around to guard me or just distract the enemy while I shoot. Solo could use some kind of improvement like the suggestion made in this post of establishing a position with cover. That would keep it feeling distinct from melee and still have an option to feel effective solo.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
ThresherAle

Re: Ranged combat feedback

Post by ThresherAle »

A couple more observations:

The auto-reload after firing takes away from the ability to fire crossbows and pistols in one second. Sometimes I want to fire and then immediately run like the filthy coward I am.

It'd be nice to be able to remove my crossbow from my shoulder directly into my left hand instead of having to remove and then swap.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."