Margo's Bakery wants tables and chairs!

A mining settlement and haven for freedom-seeking exiles, recently beginning to embrace gas and steam technologies.
Rias
DEV

Margo's Bakery wants tables and chairs!

Post by Rias »

As seen posted on the Shadgard Market Board in-game:

"Margo's Bakery is planning on adding a small sitting area for customers who want to enjoy their food right on the spot! We are asking for designs from any interested Shadgard citizens who have all the required skills to put together some tables and chairs for us. We would like something unique, but want to keep to the rustic aesthetic of Shadgard, so please keep that in mind. Please include the bakery logo somewhere in the design: (the image of a smiling chubby-faced man holding a rolling pin and a steaming loaf of bread). The crafter's own unique craftmark will displayed on the pieces as well. Any interested and capable crafters may send a design sketch/description for a table and a chair to mailbox 2799. For any designs Margo wishes to have in his bakery, return letters will be sent with a formal request for their construction, so be sure to include your return mailbox number! P.S. In the interest of supporting the local economy, we will only be accepting designs from registered Shadgard citizens."

To be clear: For any characters who are registered citizens of Shadgard and have the skills to put together tables and chairs, you can mail in a design idea including short and long descriptions for a table and a chair. Those designs that the bakery proprietor likes best will be commissioned, and once the characters make the basic items they will then be updated by staff with the custom descriptions and put into the bakery on West Row! The items will have the crafter's craftmark placed on them as well so others looking at the furniture can see who made them for that sweet recognition and crafter cred!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Taliaferro

Re: Margo's Bakery wants tables and chairs!

Post by Taliaferro »

Is there any news about this? I don't mean to nag, but I thought it was a wonderful idea -- the kind of thing I'd like to see more of! That is all!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

This did end up falling through the cracks. Thanks for the reminder, I'm on it!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

As seen posted on the Shadgard Market board: "We at Margo's Bakery would like to invite you to explore our expanded menu and enjoy your purchase while seated at the new table and chairs we've been provided by some very generous townsfolk!"
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Taliaferro

Post by Taliaferro »

Whoever designed that furniture did a pretty mediocre job, in my opinion, but I bet they enjoyed doing it and are really quite grateful to you for the opportunity to contribute a little bit to the game.
Marcuson

A lighthearted protest of Margo's Bakery!

Post by Marcuson »

One day in voice chat, I asked Rias the most controversial question I had ever asked: "Does Shadgard sweeten their cornbread?" Well, I happened to browse Shadgard's bakery today and noticed this:
You set your sights on an average small loaf of cornbread.
An assistant tells you about the item.

"A small loaf of cornbread, slightly sweetened with honey from Shadgard's beekeepers."

The crust of this bread is thick and crunchy, keeping the inside fresh for as long as possible.
I really must protest the inclusion of honey in Shadgard's cornbread! Real cornbread is not sweet! If it's sweetened, it's a cake -- also known as "hoecake" or "johnnycake"!

For me, cornbread is made in a greased cast-iron skillet (bacon grease being the best to use), and is made of a batter that consists simply of stone-ground cornmeal, buttermilk, eggs, fat, and leavening. For the fat, lard is traditional, but butter or shortening will do just fine. (Do not include wheat flour and especially do not include any sweeteners! This savory batter is also used for hushpuppies, which include minced onions and sometimes hot peppers and are deep-fried.)

The best way to enjoy cornbread is hot out of the oven. The second-best way to enjoy it is sopping up the potliquor from black-eyed peas or collard greens.

I have read that the difference in southern cornmeal is because the corn is field-ripened before harvesting (thus naturally sweet) and ground with stone, which further draws out its natural flavors, as opposed to being crushed with steel rollers.

(This post is meant to be mostly unserious in tone, since the argument over sweetened vs. unsweetened cornbread has a long tradition in the Southern United States. And, yes, I'm late to the party since this references updates from July. Oh well!)
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

You'll have to get in line behind the people complaining about the scones! Ah, the joys of regional culinary term differences.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Rias wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:28 pmYou'll have to get in line behind the people complaining about the scones! Ah, the joys of regional culinary term differences.
Should have just called them "biscuits" and watch people really lose their minds. :snowbird:
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

Should have just called them "biscuits" and watch people really lose their minds.
And I thought we were friends :(

Cornbread has always tasted sweet to me, though could be how I make it (a weird concoction of chicken cooked in sweet and spicy BBQ sauce, then covered in cornbread mix and cheese and thrown in the oven)

Still jealous of the additions! Whilst Mistral is, of course, the superior town, Shadgard has some really good food.
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"