Weapon Crafting Ideas

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Janarc

Weapon Crafting Ideas

Post by Janarc »

Hi guys!

I've been thinking about how to add diversity to weapons. A few ideas occurred to me. The first is near and dear to my heart, a new single-handed weapon: I propose the spada, or sidesword, depending on its name. This is a heavier version of the rapier, more suitable for real cut-and-slash combat. Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spada_da_lato

Craft for the blade:

Information on the spada blade recipe (forge):

The blade and tang of a spada. It'll need a crossguard, pommel, and grip to be wielded effectively in combat.
It is a large item, mainly made of (material).
Its blade condition is currently: sharp

Skill(s) required: Metalworking (200)
Crafted from: metal bloom -OR- metal ingot (It is possible some of the base component will be left over for further crafting use.)
Steps: 56
Required abilities: Forging Advanced Blades

Pommel, grip, and crossguard can remain the same.

Finished product: A ring-hilted sidesword/spada
Possible Stats:
Puncture (on percentage)
Slash
Pierce
Armor Chink: 12

Next Idea: Hardwood Hilts
Pitch: Historically, most hilts were made from hardwood tacked onto the tang of a sword or knife. Crafting-wise, this would make another thing we can craft from the lovely logs and add a lot of diversity to the weapons!

I've based the craft on, somewhat randomly, the requirements for a chisel handle, and increased the woodworking skill to 100, to encourage people to invest more than the basic points in the skill.

Craft:recipe info single-hand wood sword grip
Information on the single-hand sword grip recipe (woodwork):

A single-handed grip to be attached to the tang of a large sword.
It is a small item, mainly made of (material).

Skill(s) required: Woodworking (100)
Crafted from: medium straight branch
Tools required: Something to carve with
Steps: 3

Finally: Leather wrappings for sword hilts
Pitch: Adds more diversity to hilts, historically accurate, ALLOWS HILTS TO BE DYED!!!

Craft:
A (color) leather-wrapped sword hilt

Skill(s) required: Leatherworking (100)
Leather piece size: Small
The following additional components are required to craft this item:
- a single-handed sword grip OR a double-handed sword grip
- some rivets (x1)
Tools required:
- an awl to drive holes with
- something to hammer with
Steps: 20
Gorth

Re: Weapon Crafting Ideas

Post by Gorth »

Spada: Shorter than a rapier, maybe? Puncture is really powerful, so perhaps to compromise for the massive armor soak ruining (excluding slash, eww), we lower the DF a little. Like 0.75 maybe? That might be a bit low, but with Strength and sharpness and whatnot that might not matter as much.

Wood Hilts: Yes. Hundo percent. I'd love pretty hilts for weapons, even if it tended to make the strings for them rather long.
ALLOWS HILTS TO BE DYED!!!
I'm super tight with this idea in particular, because it promotes working together. Not that this in particular is a huge bridge between crafts that will matter much, but I know Rias' (possibly now scrapped) early ideas for the crafting process for Plate and Chain were the metal worked pieces worked onto Leather, where both craft's qualities mattered. Things like this could start with adding things like that. I'd love it!

[Edit: How would you invision dyed hilts looking like? Would it only show up if you LOOKed directly at the finished product? Or would it be a red maple hilted steel spada?]
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Janarc

Post by Janarc »

For me, I think you'd conceal whatever material you chose to wrap the leather in. So it'd be a red leather-hilted longsword, excluding whatever base material was in the hilt.

If you want to show off your hardwood, or your metal, hilt, just leave it unwrapped.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

This is what the ultimate thing might look like, perhaps:
EXAMINE SHORTSWORD wrote: You carefully examine a fine puke-green leather-hilted iron shortsword (keen-edged) that is in a leather scabbard ...
The shortsword is light and well-balanced with a broad blade, though it lacks somewhat in reach.
It is comprised of the following major components:
a puke-green leather-wrapped maple single-hand sword grip
an iron sword pommel
an iron sword crossguard
an iron shortsword blade
It has the following minor components:
some tiny galewood wedges (x2)
So you could see the wood, if you looked closely at it. I'm all in favor, or even just showing '... a puke-green leather-wrapped single hand sword grip' if we want to say there's no seeing the wood or metal or clay or whatever underneath.
P.S. Lets not have clay hilts.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.