Voice Chat Questions, Saturday 10 Dec.

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Gorth

Voice Chat Questions, Saturday 10 Dec.

Post by Gorth »

I had questions, and the thread wasn't here yet. Guess it's my thing again!
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Gorth

Re: Voice Chat Questions, Saturday 10 Dec.

Post by Gorth »

What is policy when making up words in another language. Am I allowed to say that the Italian word for stone is the same in Viali? Similarly, are we allowed to take from what we would assume the real world analogues for homeland languages are? Obviously I won't be writing actual Italian instead of just switching to Viali, but it ties into my next question.

What is policy if I have a specific word that I want to emphasize that's in a different language? E.G. there's a character in a book I'm reading who refers to another character as 'barbarian' but in a different language, and the author wrote that word when she's speaking that book's version of English. Can I do that when speaking Common?

What are the real world analogues for the homeland languages? Are any tonal?

Is it intentional that Netherim react to sounds like whistling from stealth?
Last edited by Gorth on Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

As Hillfolk are known for being hobbits (hairy feet), are there any other race specific features, beyond coloration, that you can think of?

Do other parts of the world with more ability to produce steel use it for building?

How big are the logs we chop off of trees? Lengthwise and around, please.
galgorin

Post by galgorin »

The log size comment reminds me of a thought I had in passing the other day. It would be nice if there were a way to measure things in general, for example a measuring stick that would let you use a measure verb on objects for length types, scales which would let you use a weigh verb, etc.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

I'm just assuming that "Kurn" isn't actually Kurn's true name. For reasons. Who named Kurn? We know the legends say Bogvaskr discovered her, but in what culture did that legend originate?
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Does Nuumic clothing differ from Khaldean? Can you go into any specifics? How differently would the different social classes dress in Nuum?

How do the Nuumic and Khaldeans view jewelry?
Maina

Post by Maina »

Ujaeio is credited with Bardic Words.

It has been mentioned that there may eventually be other methods of applying them- dance, music, etc.

Will Ujaeio be credited with all Bardic methods of emotional manipulation, or explicitly just the words?
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Given Iarel's purported proximity to the Great Serpent Spirit, does this mean that followers of Iarel who are aware of druidic practices tend to be more supportive of it than most? Are they likely to play homage to the Great Serpent Spirit itself as well as Iarel?
Teri

Post by Teri »

Vc is starting now
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
rocode

Post by rocode »

1. Q: What is policy when making up words in another language. Am I allowed to say that the Italian word for stone is the same in Viali? Similarly, are we allowed to take from what we would assume the real world analogues for homeland languages are? Obviously I won't be writing actual Italian instead of just switching to Viali, but it ties into my next question. A: I don't know if I want people subbing in real-world languages into their Common. Like 'El Gato.' I know they are based on these languages, but I feel it would be jarring to bring real-world languages in.

2. Q: What is policy if I have a specific word that I want to emphasize that's in a different language? E.G. there's a character in a book I'm reading who refers to another character as 'barbarian' but in a different language, and the author wrote that word when she's speaking that book's version of English. Can I do that when speaking Common? A: Switching languages can be a pain IG, but bringing in other languages causes the same issues as above. Ultimately: Don't bring in other languages.

3. Q: Is it possible to do emote that does language swaps? A: It may be possible in the future.

4. Q: Can we learn other languages? A: Not currently. If we bring that in, it will be the linguistics skill. I don't want someone to come in and learn all the languages, either.

5. Q: What are the real world analogues for the homeland languages? Are any tonal? A: I am not a polyglot or researcher, so I don't want to tie anything together like that. Language is not my area of expertise.

6. Q: Are there any languages where the barrier is less people of that culture willing to share, but the language just being very difficult to learn. A: This has come up a few times, but the hardest to learn is the Huecatn language. I don't think any particular culture is keeping their language hard to learn/restricted.

7. Q: Is it intentional that Netherim react to sounds like whistling from stealth? A: Yes, they are not deaf. They can sense sounds, one way or another.

8. Q: As Hillfolk are known for being hobbits (hairy feet), are there any other race specific features, beyond coloration, that you can think of? A: I would say they are fairly different from hobbits. As for specific features, they are shorter, on average, but not hobbit shorter. They don't have much else that makes them stick out.

9. Q: Do other parts of the world with more ability to produce steel use it for building? A: Yes, probably.

10. Q: How big are the logs we chop off of trees? Lengthwise and around, please. A: As big as they need to be for the crafting. Item properties outside of item weight and rough size are not tracked in the code intentionally.

11. Q: Would it be possible for us to get Weight Scales at market? A: Yes, probably.

12. Q: I'm just assuming that "Kurn" isn't actually Kurn's true name. For reasons. Who named Kurn? We know the legends say Bogvaskr discovered her, but in what culture did that legend originate? A: That's a good question. The origin of the name is lost to the ages.

13. Q: Does Nuumic clothing differ from Khaldean? Can you go into any specifics? How differently would the different social classes dress in Nuum? A: Yep. No, not really; I am not a clothing guy. Nuum have elements from their tinkering to help adjust their clothes to deal with the desert environments. They like their jewelry and accessorizing. Khaldean do more coverage and more colorful patterns in their clothing. For the different social classes in Nuum, the higher classes will have their fancier clothing and jewelry, of course.

14. Q: How do the Nuumic and Khaldeans view jewelry? A: Answered above.

15. Q: Since Khaldeans like colorful clothing, does that influence areas nearby? A: Yeah, it's sort of like a status symbol, so the rarer dyes are restricted to the rich, but the culture itself likes colors in general.

16. Q: Will Ujaeio be credited with all Bardic methods of emotional manipulation, or explicitly just the words? A: There will be a lot of belief and speculation that they all came from Ujaeio, but nothing definitive.

17. Q: Given Iarel's purported proximity to the Great Serpent Spirit, does this mean that followers of Iarel who are aware of druidic practices tend to be more supportive of it than most? Are they likely to play homage to the Great Serpent Spirit itself as well as Iarel? A: Yeah, they have that history. There is a blurb on the BBS that I need to put into the game itself, since it is a heft chunk right there.

18. Q: Changing topics, can I ask about the Artisan guild? There's been some pretty intense discussion about that this week, and I'm curious if it's prompted any thoughts about moving it up the list of priorities. And if so, whether we as players can help make the build-out easier with specific types of submissions. A: I don't have a specific timeframe for Artisan Guild. The more momentum keeps up, the more likely I will jump to it sooner than later. Please keep in mind to make suggestions that make the Artisans Guild feel useful and meaningful without turning into "don't bother crafting at all if you aren't an artisan." Just like people outside of the Warrior's guild can do warrioring [sic](combat). TL;DR: Make sure suggestions don't invalidate crafting outside of the guild.

19. Q: Is there anything specific you are currently focusing on? A: I am working on Arcanists stuff, but after this, I want to take a breather to focus on interacting with players and events but won't be putting development on hold. That's what I want for the immediate future.

20. Q: I mean a good step with the warrior/non-warrior in regards to combat would be to give non-warriors more ability choices. Currently a big issue with non-warriors is the lack of options in regards to warriors. Even if they weren't as effective, having non-warriors be able to make a conscious decision about what they're doing other than "wait, feint, circle, or attack" would be beneficial. A: Yeah, for sure.

21. Q: i understand the name is set at the beginning of creation, but is it reasonable to have a second name as in a common name and names in the mothertongue of the character? A: Yep.

22. Q: Can we get in-game events announced in Discord announcements A: Yes, and also may use Discord Events if we can automate them.

23. Q: When are full-sized wagons coming? A: When hoarding is dealt with.