Death Overhaul

Hear ye, hear ye!
jerc

Re: Death Overhaul

Post by jerc »

Could the deceased get some notification when someone starts dragging their corpse? My understanding is that they get some feedback as to whether they're currently being dragged when they ring the bell.

I think there was a situation tonight where the deceased rang the bell, got partially rescued, then left in a safe place while their comrades were getting similar treatment, and then rang the bell while no longer being dragged. The end result being that they never knew that a rescue was underway, and eventually gave up the ghost unnecessarily while on the way to a morgue.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

This has also happened to me. The situation is already salt in the wound, in a fashion, depending on how the situation whent down, and then having to deal with the penalty when you otherwise wouldn't have to have kind of really, really sucks.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: When using the depart command, if a character's corpse has recently been moved the player will now be informed that a rescue is likely currently underway and will be asked to confirm if they still wish to depart immediately and invoke harsher penalties rather than wait for the rescue to complete.

This will happen even if the corpse isn't being currently dragged, for situations where multiple bodies need to be moved but there aren't enough draggers to do them all at once, or the dragging had to be temporarily stopped in order to do something else (like fight off baddies or scout ahead or whatever). It's a bit goofy, but might be worth doing a quick drag-and-stop of each corpse in the room to essentially let each player know their corpse has been found and their rescue is in process if they end up considering a depart.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

Can we get a way to ignore a specific deathknell color for a while? There are situations where though I'd love to help, I know I'd just end up a second corpse to be rescued and make the situation worse. I'd rather not keep getting that particular knell message every few minutes while the dead hopes for someone more capable to show up.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
artus

Post by artus »

@Rias: I know you said at one point you didn't like the idea of deathknell being answerable from the retriever's end, but it's impossible to let players know they're being retriev, resulting in repeated ringing which sometimes goes on for more than ten times with no one able to let them know ic and not letting them know ooc for whatever reason. Is it at least possible to add something of a reminder that you can, or may be should, I don't know, ooc tell the dead you're retrieving so they at least know they're being retrieved? I'm not sure how it'll work for someone you don't know the name though.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Encouraging people to be OOC and send tells to let the dead know they're being retrieved feels a bit off to me in a RP game. I'd rather a feature where the dead felt that they were in motion, so they had a general idea that they were being retrieved, be implemented or something similar.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
nobody

Post by nobody »

changelog wrote:12/05/22 Death: When a dead character rings the Deathknell, the messaging given to both the ringer and those who hear the Deathknell will now indicate whether the corpse is in motion (currently being dragged or within a cart/wagon), or at rest and presumably still waiting to be reached by rescue efforts.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

nobody wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:56 pm
changelog wrote:12/05/22 Death: When a dead character rings the Deathknell, the messaging given to both the ringer and those who hear the Deathknell will now indicate whether the corpse is in motion (currently being dragged or within a cart/wagon), or at rest and presumably still waiting to be reached by rescue efforts.
Perfect! Then if the dead is currently being made aware when their body is in motion, what's the issue? I mean that in all seriousness and not sarcastically. I don't have experience with the system except as the retriever.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
artus

Post by artus »

nobody wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:56 pm

It doesn't help when the corpse is right there and the dead is left stranded, unsure if they're going to be retrieved or not, which can result in repeated ringing which can go on and on and on because the person is afraid of or doesn't want to respawn for whatever reason. I personally wanted to suggest ic ideas like Delfine's or something similar like old time esp pulse to let the dead know or anything similar, but I remember either me or someone suggested it once but Rias didn't like it so I tried to come up with ooc idea instead, which I personally didn't like myself due to it being ooc. Would love to see some flexibility in this tbh, if there is any, so the dead can at least stop ringing and rest assured when they know.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

It would be nice if we could send messages to the souls of the dead through arcane circles. Like SOULCA, if you know what I mean. Wink. Wink.

The HOT/COLD method of finding the bodies of the dead is also really inaccurate and frustrating, especially when people are looking in a larger area for the corpse. Pin-point accuracy would be appreciated. I understand there's a lore-side to things and wanting to build into the mystery and discourage death seeking, but the frustrating aspect of recovery makes it a poor user experience on both ends. While 'getting good and just not dying' is indeed a thing, or 'letting people know before you go do something dangerous' is also a thing, all of these precautions are fallible even when applied. And also, not everyone applies these principles.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."