Armor Sharpening Tweak

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Janarc

Armor Sharpening Tweak

Post by Janarc »

Hey guys,

Since the shift that allows weapons to get dull through use, I think most smiths and fighters have experienced having to re-anneal and re-sharpen weapons, sometimes as often as once per day. Given that the annealing process takes thirty minutes or so, this is a pretty hefty pain point.

While I definitely want to see weapons maintenance remain a necessity, I'd suggest that we create a second recipe for sharpening weapons, which can only be used if the weapoin has been sharpened to a fine edge while it was being crafted.

Instead of annealing the weapon every time, I suggest that it's necessary to anneal the blade at the time the weapon is created, and then just allow it to be grindstone-sharpened after that point. I'm not sure how easy this would be to code, but it'd be a huge relief for me (and I'm sure for the crafters who have to do it for me), and I also think it's a little closer to realism. In real life, once we harden a blade, we don't actually go through the annealing process again for fear of messing up the steel's temper.

Just my modest proposal!
Gorth

Re: Armor Sharpening Tweak

Post by Gorth »

Make the actual grinding take longer, but don't require the whole process. I agree, it's a very large time investment, so much so that I don't really bother with it unless I know I'm going to be going on some big combat trip later and I want to be at absolute peak, which keen-edged bonus is not enough to make a huge difference, anyway, at least without strength and other stacking factors.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Shoot. I honestly forgot about the annealing process in regards to sharpening. I'll see if I can figure out a good way to not require that after an initial sharpening.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Janarc

Re: Weapon Sharpening Tweak

Post by Janarc »

I don't know how objects are built here on COGG, but would it be possible to add a hidden argument to an object after it's been annealed that doesn't go away when the weapon dulls again?

Sorry, this is probably too much code-talk. Thanks for considering it!
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

Oh, thank goodness. I can't wait for the annealing process to be removed from general maintenance sharpening. It's always felt so out of place and tedious.
Janarc

Post by Janarc »

In the meantime, would it be possible to ask that the sharpening degradation be put on hold? It really is one of those surprising pinch-points that just chafes after awhile.
Firesong

Post by Firesong »

With the world turning to a winter wonderland in my area, I've been reading a ton of fantasy, watching movies, playing games and stuff like that. Has there ever been a conversation regarding people being able to sharpen and maintain their own weapons and armor? I think many a player might enjoy being the crusty warrior that sullenly sharpens and oils their stuff in the corner while other people drink. I think it would add some flavor and something to do for people who don't craft much for whatever reason they've chosen not to. I'm thinking there might be penalties for doing it this way, maybe it takes longer or there's potential to damage their tools, kind of like crushing stone the hard way, or maybe even damage themselves. Maybe it could be special training; it might be an ability that warriors only get or that you can pick up at the barracks, something to balance out the need for blacksmiths and leatherworkers able to take care of it more easily and safely? I don't know much about these things, but I've always had it in the back of my mind to chat about. I apologize if this comes off as slightly disorganized. thoughts? Feel free to point me at any existing threads if this has already been discussed.
Last edited by Firesong on Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janarc

Post by Janarc »

I mean, thematically, I would love that. My only concern is that it might make crafters feel irrelevant, which I don't want. On the other hand, if it's inferior to what crafters can do, or costs quite a bit to buy a whetstone or whatever, that would be a balance.
Firesong

Post by Firesong »

As a crafter, I one hundred percent agree. it would also be nice if crafters might could craft those tools as well, and if those things wore down over time as well, so people would need new ones or need those things fixed also.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Rias has said, in the past, that he'd like wetstone and oilwork for blades and armor, but isn't sure how to balance it just so, so it isn't overriding crafters, but also lets the Warriors feel like they have something indesperate need.

Perhaps Perhaps it could just be more cosmetic than everything, or offer a little less armor Encumbrance for armor and uh...something for weapons? If Sharpess was a scale and not just, kee-edged is twenty percent extra DF that just vanishes all of a sudden ,it'd be nice if Warriors could just get them to sharp with a lot of work or something.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.