PSA: Real Talk on the Dominion (GM remarks copied from the Discord)

Built on a lake, shrouded in unnatural fog, and under the law and protection of the mysterious Mistveil Keep. Was once the seat of the now-dissolved Mistveil Dominion.
Delphine

PSA: Real Talk on the Dominion (GM remarks copied from the Discord)

Post by Delphine »

Please note: This is just OOC information. ICly, you're free to believe whatever you want. But given a recent discussion on the Discord, I decided to share these comments of Rias' from last month on the BBS for those who missed the original conversation, which was also posted on the Discord.
Rias — 10/19/2022
I've heard in the past a concern or two that the Dominion may be viewed as the clear aggressors. And sure. They're the Dominion, forcefully asserting themselves to establish peace, order, and prosperity for the greater good. That's their gig. That doesn't necessarily make them the bad guys and Shadgard/Republic the good guys. Say what you will about the Dominion's methods, but they are making the Lost Lands safer and more prosperous, and their citizens are on average more educated, healthier, wealthier, safer, and less likely to suffer from crime. You could argue that that's exactly what the Lost Lands needs. It's not like Shadgard is making the Lost Lands on a whole a safer, better place. It's a safe bastion in a dangerous land where the people enjoy greater personal freedoms and minimal government meddling, but the Lost Lands around them is just about as bad as it's ever been. Which team is the right team, or at least the "better" team? There's no clear answer (in my opinion) and I think that makes the choice interesting.
Rias — 10/19/2022
I think there's a tendency for people to see Shadgard as the "good guys" and Dominion as the "bad guys", and I always enjoy challenging that.
Rias — 10/19/2022
And I've said it before, but I like reminding people every now and then: The Dominion does want its people to be happy. It's not the "crush the will of the drones and erase any semblance of personality" type of imperial mindset. Crushing your citizens leads to uprising and rebellions. Helping your citizens be happy gets you willingly loyal citizens who support their government. (Yet another spoiler) The Dominion isn't trying to enslave all of mankind as mindless servants and oppressed peasantry. They truly have a vision for a utopian society in the Lost Lands where everyone has a place and expectation of contentment and happiness. It's their vision of utopian, sure, but part of that vision is having a healthy and vibrant culture among the people that enjoys their prosperity as much as their government. Nuance as always. Questionable ethics, arguable morals, class divide vs egalitarianism - not everything is perfect or objectively good. Nothing is. There are flaws. Are the perceived flaws of their system - which is arguably working out quite well for the Lost Lands - worth it?
---

EDIT: Adding in a message from Eugor to provide context for Rias' next statement, as his next statement was in response to Eugor's.
Rogue Eugor — Today at 1:12 PM
I look at this, and I'm like, alright, this is the lost lands, arguably the worse place in Arad to try and establish a Utopian government. My thinking is, if they can't achieve this outside the lost lands, how are they going to manage it in the lost lands?
Rias — Today at 1:41 PM
The outside is safe and comfortable and cozy. There are no massive threats out there preventing the lazily content from settling for "good enough", no constant crises pulling people together as communities just to survive in an extremely dangerous environment. In the nice safe convenient comfortable lands outside the Qurantine, individuals with delusions of grandeur don't have much to do other than chase their dreams of attaining personal power and placing themselves firmly on top. They lack the drive and the camaraderie to make them actually interested and invested in their communities and the well-being of their fellows. Out there they just want to build themselves up, and screw everyone else. Inside the Quarantine it's survive together, die alone. The Dominion isn't striving for the utopian society, but they're striving for a utopian society that may be possible given their unique environment.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.