Maina's Absurdly Over-Ambitious Warlock Full Class Suggestion

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
Maina

Re: Maina's Absurdly Over-Ambitious Warlock Full Class Suggestion

Post by Maina »

Glad you liked it!

As for the other person, since it came up, here are some of my ideas for Scholar guild skills and tasks that might help shore up that aspect of the game (and yes, I think warlocks are meant to be a more support class here, and I love playing mine that way, but I did want to give example abilities to support the various playstyles I've seen people want to use them for):

Scholar guild abilities: viewtopic.php?t=1358

Scholar tasks: viewtopic.php?t=1290

Again, just to hopefully inspire for how things can be in the future, since it can be easy to feel like how things are now is how they'll stay. It isn't so!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

There are a bunch of great ideas, concepts, and springboards in here! I'm excited to work on Warlocks some more (after Arcanists) and make them feel more fleshed out and potent. They won't end up on par with Warriors combat-wise - giving them a base +2 offense rerolls in combat would be a bit much - but I do like the idea of some conditional rerolls for those who wish to focus on being the more combat-focused casters.

I also like the idea of getting more into some ability trees. It helps Warlocks feel like they aren't all cookie-cutters of the same build, helps avoid cherry-picking, and makes us more likely to give them some Really Cool Abilities knowing they're at the further end of a tree path and feel like an investment payoff instead of just a really powerful ability that everyone will pick because it's there.

Thank you for your posts, Maina!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rias wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:24 pm There are a bunch of great ideas, concepts, and springboards in here! I'm excited to work on Warlocks some more (after Arcanists) and make them feel more fleshed out and potent. They won't end up on par with Warriors combat-wise - giving them a base +2 offense rerolls in combat would be a bit much - but I do like the idea of some conditional rerolls for those who wish to focus on being the more combat-focused casters.
An ability that net them 1 to 2 rerolls (based on those sorcery thresholds suggested about) in exchange for temporary sanity debuffs would be kind of neat though. Like a Channeled ability, or maybe a "buff" they can cast on themselves. Thematically (based on my own admittedly shallow Nether Lore), it would be letting the Nether do a little more of the "driving" than normal when it comes to accuracy, but maybe drain sanity away steadily in small bits while active (with a small but noticeable base cost), on top of costing a bit of extra energy per cast? Maybe give it a duration based on Sorcery too, with a max duration that's less than the cooldown for the ability.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Maina

Post by Maina »

I had another idea for an Warlock General Ability. Given the common thought that two rerolls (at 700) are a bit too OP (and they probably are; I always say I'm no good at balance, only flavor), I had an idea for an alternate.

Leave the +reroll on Master, because 700 Sorcery is no joke, but replace Adept with:

(Alternate Title?) Nether Synthesis
Prerequisites: 400 Sorcery
Description: With frequent exposure to Nether, a Warlock may spend time attuning themselves to it mentally and emotionally, making its channeling far more effortless. Such a thing is impossible to maintain in the heat of combat, but it does have its uses.
Design Notes: By default, the first channel cannot have its Energy cost reduced with Sorcery rolls, only additional channels. This Ability would allow you to roll for that first channel, too, potentially reducing the cost of maintaining channels. This would only work when out of combat. I have noticed that, in combat, most classes need or want a breather between fights, but a Warlock is punished by this. Either they leave their channels up and lose energy (which this can alleviate) or they drop them and risk the entire fight being over before the RT from bringing them back finishes. So the idea here was an ability that lessens the punishment of waiting for the next fight in a group.

Instead of replacing Adept, it could also be an entirely new ability with maybe Lingering Nether as a prereq.

Synthesis here refers to the philosophical concept of Thesis>Antithesis>Synthesis, not the industrial act of synthesizing a substance. The idea is a state of unity with the nether so that neither is fighting the other.