Weapon Sharpness

Share your feedback about COGG.
Teri

Weapon Sharpness

Post by Teri »

How fast is the intended sharpness loss? Hearing from one or two about keen edge lasting a bit under an hour of fighting, so tossing this up for people to give feedback on it. I haven't done any combat since the change personally yet to weigh in.
(Weapons) Weapons with blades will now lose a little sharpness with use.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Gorth

Re: Weapon Sharpness

Post by Gorth »

In my experience, only a couple days obv, it drops out of Keen-edge within an hour or so of use by a Warrior in a middling (5 warrior) sized group. Obviously it would be a lot longer for a non-warrior, because no SBS. I think it's very fast, and taking out of keen-edge takes away a whole twenty percent DF bonus, which is kinda a lot.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
jerc

Post by jerc »

Is the DF drop immediate? Maybe it should be more like the pressure in pneumatic pistols where the DF drops off gradually with each shot.

It would also be nice to see keen-edge affect/be reduced by tool use. Like a small bonus to RT or energy use when skinning with a keen-edged blade.
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

It feels like it takes longer to sharpen a sword than it does to lose its edge, currently. I'm fine with sharpness deteriorating (and would prefer it to, honestly!), but it's currently... pretty rough.
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

Agreed, if the comments above about it taking an hour to lose a keen edge are anything to go by.

The annealing process is the time consuming aspect. It almost always takes two rounds of heating up in the forge then cooling, while grinding from sharp to keen-edged is trivial.

This in addition to tempering (though I would appreciate information on whether this makes a difference to longevity of sharpness.)