On higher level characters in low level areas, and on loot

Share your feedback about COGG.
Rilulth

Re: On higher level characters in low level areas, and on loot

Post by Rilulth »

Rias wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:46 pm It's been brought up that it might discourage higher-skill characters from helping lower-skill ones if bringing a higher-skill along generates less loot in the low area, but in a roundabout way this is encouraging the higher-skill to bring the lower-skill into a tougher area. Meet in the middle and cancel out the effect? Give"over-hunting" a little boost to offset it and encourage highbies lifting up lowbies rather than lowbies dragging down highbies?
One system I enjoyed from the other game was the tutoring system. It encouraged high skilled players to go out with lower skilled ones and presented the same risk for some reward (in the other game, quicker skill gains). Relate XP gain to character levels and rewards to current skill (or something like that. More thought needed as I've just woken up)
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Janarc

Post by Janarc »

A few thoughts:

First, if lockboxes ARE removed or significantly reduced, and tasks are implemented, I'd be absolutely fine with that change. In fact, it'd be really cool to strive for elite equipment (even if it just looks pretty) and would be a great step toward Societies (which I'm really excited about).

On going into low-level areas with newbies/lowbies vs taking newbies into high-level areas, I've recently gained a lot of experience doing both. I'd be really sad to lose the ability to shepherd newbies through lower/mid-level areas, because I think they gain a lot more OOC knowledge that way than in the massive battles that erupt in the higher areas. Also, I agree with Gorth - as someone who frequently leads, it's really hard when the lowbies bite it. I just feel terrible.

What I'd love to see is some sort of incentive, rather than a penalty, for helping lower-level characters. My PC is actively working to establish ways to make this profitable for all involved, but if there were a Tutoring system that benefited both parties (maybe Guild points for those cool stores Prism proposed for the more experienced character, rather than exp or loot?) I'd be totally on-board with that.

Also, hi. First post.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Janarc wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:04 am A few thoughts:
Fun fact. I'm not sure if the PostID is an autoIncriment intiger, I don't know why it wouldn't be. If so, your post is number 6,669. Six-pence for your thoughts?
First, if lockboxes ARE removed or significantly reduced, and tasks are implemented, I'd be absolutely fine with that change. In fact, it'd be really cool to strive for elite equipment (even if it just looks pretty) and would be a great step toward Societies (which I'm really excited about).
I've been talked over on this point. It doesn't feel nice conceptually to have my main source of money as a planned full warrior cut off, but I get it, and hopefully Prism's suggestions come true. I really like them. While I don't think that Warriors should get access to steel and other rare materials just by virtue of being a warrior and doing warrior things (at least, not commonly), I think that pretty things could certainly be interesting!
I'm just dreading how long people's descriptions are going to start getting. It's like the festivals, where everyone buys all the cool stuff and wears it all at once and your screen scrolls when you look at them. [/grumpypost]
On going into low-level areas with newbies/lowbies vs taking newbies into high-level areas, I've recently gained a lot of experience doing both. I'd be really sad to lose the ability to shepherd newbies through lower/mid-level areas, because I think they gain a lot more OOC knowledge that way than in the massive battles that erupt in the higher areas. Also, I agree with Gorth - as someone who frequently leads, it's really hard when the lowbies bite it. I just feel terrible.
I get a little jump of excitement when people say my name.
Anyway, yes, I agree. As long as it isn't like 3 D600 Warriors helping a D200 player, it usually seems to be pretty helpful and offers both a lot of progress for them and also a lot of opportunity for RP. I don't do it often, because I feel like I'm giving them a false sense of security in the combat system by steamrolling for them, but I also sometimes just hide and watch them fight and contribute with FEINTs and TACKLEs every now and again. It varies.
What I'd love to see is some sort of incentive, rather than a penalty, for helping lower-level characters. My PC is actively working to establish ways to make this profitable for all involved, but if there were a Tutoring system that benefited both parties (maybe Guild points for those cool stores Prism proposed for the more experienced character, rather than exp or loot?) I'd be totally on-board with that.
I don't think there should be a penalty. But I'm not really sold on any real incentive. I feel like any IC gains like money from the player being helped, RP, or otherwise, should be the incentive. I recognize that this isn't really great and kind of turns people off of it, but I'm not sure where the line is that people don't just take lower level people into a low level zone to gain the ability to steamroll like what is already (sometimes) being done.
Also, hi. First post.
:grin: welcome! I don't have anything witty to say about this. It's 08:31, right now. Urgh.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.