Voicechat Saturday October 22nd 2pm MST

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

Voicechat Saturday October 22nd 2pm MST

Post by Teri »

Post away your questions.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Maina

Re: Voicechat Saturday October 22nd 2pm MST

Post by Maina »

1. Nuum has some scattered respect for some Immortals. Iarel as the one that started them on the path to ascension. Naia for the lifegiving rivers.

Are there any dark immortals that might particularly appeal to the Nuumic mindset? Either for practical benefit (Naia) or because they still have things to teach that Nuum doesn't think they've already figured out and surpassed?

2. If someone dies outside the Lost Lands and their corpse is thrown into it, for whatever reason, could they come back as Undying? Or do you have to die within the Lost Lands? Does it make a difference if you throw it immediately after death or, say, a year?

3. I believe you mentioned that terminal illness is not reversed by the Undying condition, but do people ever go to the Lost Lands in hopes of becoming Undying, particularly to save themselves from some condition?

4. What is the relation between Khaldea and Tol Rhun? Both political and, like, the stereotypes that the common people have for each other. Do they still border each other?
Last edited by Maina on Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

We know that Kurn is an arch-daemon. What's the difference between a daemon and an arch-daemon? Is it a mere power thing or do daemons have their own hierarchy? Can a daemon become an arch-daemon by accruing more power or proving themselves in some way?

Are there any other named daemons out there in the world?

Do daemons exist on some other plane of existence? If so, can they be summoned into the physical plane? And if so, how did Kurn get here?

Is there any other daemon lore you've considered that you would like to share?

Okay, a non-Kurn-related question at last: with you having recently mentioned upon the Discord that we'll be going toward a proper faction split soon (tm), I have a concern. We have a really great community, but people can get a bit... silly on games (in my experience) when they feel like there's something to lose (like access to a resource, etc.) Have you all considered how to combat any potential OOC shenanigans which might occur as a result of pending faction conflict? What I mean by that is let's say Bob from Mistral Lake is poking about the Dominion-held iron mine when suddenly a group of Shadgardians rides in, pistols blazing! Bob is outside of an esp zone so he has no way to call for help! So he fires up Discord and lets his group of OOC Dominionite buddies know that the mine is under attack and he's desperately outnumbered and they all proceed to rally to his aid without there being any IC information having been shared. I know there's no way to keep people from doing this. People are going to chat to their friends. People will let things slip either intentionally or unintentionally. It happens. I'm just curious if the GM team has considered new policies to put in place to perhaps... deter it.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Judging by the section names, most if not all of the books in the Library of Qamar should be non-fiction, at least as far as the residents of Arad are concerned. I suppose a possible exception is the religion/philosophy stacks, where all your folk tale anthologies could potentially be squished in alongside legitimate religious texts. Is this deliberate? Do authors in this world tend to have that much more of an interest in non-fictional subjects?
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Gorth

Notes: Voicechat Saturday October 22nd

Post by Gorth »

Sorry. I did notes for Teri cause she was sick. Never done them before. let me know if my formatting sucks!
You ask, "So I guess I have to be professional now. Hmph. Anyway, Maina says: Nuum has some scattered respect for some Immortals. Iarel as the one that started them on the path to ascension. Naia for the lifegiving rivers. Are there any dark immortals that might particularly appeal to the Nuumic mindset? Either for practical benefit (Naia) or because they still have things to teach that Nuum doesn't think they've already figured out and surpassed?"
Rias says, "There's always the classic going to Malfant for forbidden information, but that also tends to be more individual and kind of kept quieter."
Shewel says, "For those of you with questions, please be drafting them up in text form while waiting for your turn."
Rias says, "The Nuum are mostly doing their thing where they try to keep Immortals talked down, so I think beyond those that have a particularly prominent place in their history and culture that they haven't been able to hush up (Iarel and Naia as mentioned) I think the rest are pretty subdued. Though I can ponder on that and possibly elaborate further at a later time."
Rias says, "Oh, Vandin. Vandin is one of the few that's still somewhat publically recognized. Undm as well."
Rias says, "Iarel is well-known in Nuum but the relationship between her and the Nuum is not a great one at the moment. But yeah, for the Darker Types, I may have to ponder a bit more, since they're more newly-introduced to the lore OOC-wise."

Gorth gleefully asks, "I did deserve that. Wheee. Anyway I'll actually be professional now. Next question is also by Maina: If someone dies outside the Lost Lands and their corpse is thrown into it, for whatever reason, could they come back as Undying? Or do you have to die within the Lost Lands? Does it make a difference if you throw it immediately after death or, say, a year?"
Rias says, "Information about the Undying is not plentiful and not particularly solid, but it's generally thought that you have to actually die in the Lost Lands to experience the Undying effect."

You ask, "Maina: I believe you mentioned that terminal illness is not reversed by the Undying condition, but do people ever go to the Lost Lands in hopes of becoming Undying, particularly to save themselves from some condition?"
Rias says, "As funny as it is to think about some twisted service where you sign up to have your corpse shipped to the Lost Lands after death for that chance at coming back. But alas: It doesn't seem to be a thing."
Rias says, "The rumors about the Undying thing are typically considered rumors rather than facts outside the Quarantine, but I could see some people latching onto them just for a hope of escaping some kind of looming death. I wouldn't say it's common, but I could see the rare case of that happening."

You ask, "One last one from Maina: What is the relation between Khaldea and Tol Rhun? Both political and, like, the stereotypes that the common people have for each other. Do they still border each other?"
Rias says, "I'm going to refrain from answering this one because I'm just about to released the document on the Rhuidim! I'm just fussing over changing one particular term to something else and then we'll have it. But yes, they do share a border, and I guess I'll say while the Rhuidim very much prefer to do their own thing their own way, they consider the Khaldeans to be one of the very few peoples they might actually give some measure of trust to and attempt at relations with as neighbors. That's a very broad generalization, but there you go."
Rias says, "Rhuidim: "It's us against the world, we're on our own, screw everyone else!... Except maybe the Khaldeans. They can be kind of all right, I guess."."

You ask, "Delphine: We know that Kurn is an arch-daemon. What's the difference between a daemon and an arch-daemon? Is it a mere power thing or do daemons have their own hierarchy? Can a daemon become an arch-daemon by accruing more power or proving themselves in some way?"
Rias says, "Rain check on Delphine's question, other than I suppose: suffice it for now to say arch-daemons would be the most powerful, prominent, and/or influential."

You ask, "Delphine: Are there any other named daemons out there in the world?"
Rias says, "Yes! But I'm not willing to drop those names yet."

You ask, "Delphine: Do daemons exist on some other plane of existence? If so, can they be summoned into the physical plane? And if so, how did Kurn get here?"
Rias says, "A good question, and one I'm not ready to answer yet, as I'm not sure how much should be common knowledge. Sorry! I'll make a note to get to adding some lore studies and/or articles sometime."
[FROM Eugor (OOC)]: Spoiler, some occult newbie summoned them and used all of Aetgard's population as the transaction currency.
You say, "She's going to be maaad."

You ask, "Delphine: Is there any other daemon lore you've considered that you would like to share?"
Rias says, "Yes, but I won't let myself yet, because the details aren't all hammered out. (Mostly in how I want to present it, and how much to give and how much to withold.)."
[FROM Prism (OOC)]: *wants to kill daemons for a living and drink milkshakes*
You say, "For those people sending me tells, they may or may not go into the logs."

You say, "Delphine: Okay, a non-Kurn-related question at last: with you having recently mentioned upon the Discord that we'll be going toward a proper faction split soon (tm), I have a concern. We have a really great community, but people can get a bit... silly on games (in my experience) when they feel like there's something to lose (like access to a resource, etc.) Have you all considered how to combat any potential OOC shenanigans which might occur as a result of pending faction conflict? What I mean by that is let's say Bob from Mistral Lake is poking about the Dominion-held iron mine when suddenly a group of Shadgardians rides in, pistols blazing! Bob is outside of an esp zone so he has no way to call for help! So he fires up Discord and lets his group of OOC Dominionite buddies know that the mine is under attack and he's desperately outnumbered and they all proceed to rally to his aid without there being any IC information having been shared. I know there's no way to keep people from doing this. People are going to chat to their friends. People will let things slip either intentionally or unintentionally. It happens. I'm just curious if the GM team has considered new policies to put in place to perhaps... deter it."
[TO Prism (OOC)]: Demon milk shakes.
Rias says, "That's not something we've really delved into or talked about, but we probably should. It'd be good to have a policy in place."
You nod, "This sounds like a good BBS topic. I'll note that down, if you like."
Rias says, "Policy: Don't be a goober pea."
Rias nods to you.

You ask, "Frisbee: Judging by the section names, most if not all of the books in the Library of Qamar should be non-fiction, at least as far as the residents of Arad are concerned. I suppose a possible exception is the religion/philosophy stacks, where all your folk tale anthologies could potentially be squished in alongside legitimate religious texts. Is this deliberate? Do authors in this world tend to have that much more of an interest in non-fictional subjects?"
Rias exclaims, "It wasn't deliberate. It'd be cool to add some fiction and folklore sections!"
Rias says, "Find an ancient scroll with bizarre otherworldly creature illustrations on it, study it: "It appears to be a page from the Monstrous Compendium manual belonging to an old Aetgardian game called Oubliettes and Ogres..."."

You say, "Sorry, I just remembered that Kaiju and I were having some testing things going on. Is Mighty Blow still intended to scale with balance held, currently? It still spends five balance, but if you're at 25 you get 4 rerolls."
Rias exclaims, "Oh. I should probably fix that with Mighty Blow. Or at least rethink it. Maybe? Let the number crunchers come up with a proposal to make it feel balanced!"
Speaking to Rias, Fellborn says, "It has one reroll variation currently it seems, and you need high balance to get it. It's good, but staggering blow is still a lot more usable. I'd leave it for now."

Eugor says, "What was Mistral Lake like before the Dominion took control? Approx how long ago was that? What was the take over process like for them? Did the fog roll in before or after."
Rias says, "There are paintings and illustrations of Mistral Lake (or rather, the lake platform district of Vatnfjall - it wasn't considered its own town at the time) from before the fall of Aetgard which depict it as bright and clear and sunny, or clear nights with the full moon reflecting off the water unimpeded by mist. So, general consensus is that the fog showed up sometime during or after the fall of the Great Kingdom. The Dominion didn't take control of Mistral Lake, but rather was born from the people of Mistral Lake. There was a somewhat abrupt shift of stance to a more imperialistic approach and to really get their mission going in trying to bring order to the Lost Lands, but the details are something you'll have to find in-game (and that I'll have to give ways of discovering)."
Rias says, "Mistral Lake is the birthplace of the Dominion."
Rias says, "They've expanded northward from there."

Aras asks, "Do undying always quickly come back or is that a thing to make playing more fun?"
Rias says, "The near-instant respawn is for Game Reasons(tm). Lorewise it's something that can take quite a long time, but can also happen somewhat quickly. But not a few seconds or minutes or hours. That's game mechanics over lore. And now I want to start working on the death reform stuff! (P.S. It won't be hours between deaths or anything still, but it will no longer be instantaneous.)."

Aras asks, "Will the infested animals come to cogg, like the infested cats and hounds that used to be in Tarueka?"
Rias says, "Yes! I was just mourning their lack of presence the other day when I was scheming something in Tarueka. I'd love to bring the infested hounds back, though perhaps as a rare spawn rather than a common one. They've got the kennels in that area and everything to indicate their presence."
Rias says, "Infested squirrels were always a good time, too."
Fellborn says, "I mean, we do have infested bears."

Aras asks, "Does fire also spread recen in cog, because it says the corpses are burned in the help file?"
Rias says, "Fire potentially serving to spread the resen is a theory some scholars have likely come up with, though I think by and large people still feel the need to burn the corpses in order to get rid of them, and probably don't put much stock into the fire-spreading theory."
Rias says, "Maybe throw them in an emberberry patch first..."

Marcuson exclaims, "No question today. I just wanted to thank you, Rias, and all of the GMs for everything that's been going on this month. Mistral Lake, Octum festival, combat abilities... there's been a lot of stuff! Thanks!"
Rias says, "Thank you for your thanks! It's been a lot of fun, and we've enjoyed both making and releasing the stuff, and watching you all experience it. (Sorry for the delay, I was grabbing a brownie.)."

Chariot asks, "First, is there a follow up story or plan for esp interruption that brings twilight eye crystals into a sorry state, after that morbid mysterious voice on the network?"
Rias says, "Tehee."
Rias says, "I'm glad someone remembers that something actually happened there! I'm sure you'll hear about it again at some point."
Rias says, "(And if anyone has any theories, do post them on the Crackpot Theories thread of the BBS sometime.)."

Chariot asks, "And a bit of follow up from that question if you don't mind. If I understand correctly, speaking through esp requires at least a bit of focus right? It's not like speaking into a microphone and anything can trigger just because you shout into it right?"
Rias says, "Correct, you have to be talking with the intent to transmit what you're saying. It's not just idly picking up sound, or the ESP network would be a lot noisier."

Chariot asks, "Anyway, second question. Why do we have ravens and only ravens tainted and stinky all over the place? Why not anything else?"
Chariot says, "Like I feel sooooo sorry for those ravens.:(."
Rias exclaims, "Because ravens contribute particularly well to the aesthetic!"
Rias says, "You can assume the healthy ones are keeping a distance and are happily living their lives out there beyond our pitiful landwalker grasp."

Lexx asks, "There's a large geological feature southeast-ish of the intersection near to Tarueka - I'm not sure if it's a mountain, a mesa/butte, or just some hills. I can't recall if the room descriptions say, but regardless - does that feature have a name or identifying label that we might know?"
Rias exclaims, "And hey, if you have some theories on why it's specifically ravens that we see so often, there's that Crackpot Theories board again!"
Rias says, "Hee hee. Lexx's Butte. (Another GM's suggestion, not mine.)."
Rias exclaims, "But no, at the moment it doesn't have a name or particular description. I should add some though, because it does have its own significance!"
Prism says, "Imb4 Mount Mack. 700 climbing requirement to make it all the way up there. When you get there, it's just a giant thornleaf bush that pokes you and knocks you down to the bottom."
Prism says, "Anywhoozles, I have a few verungnr questions for us today."
Rias says, "It's not a mesa though, it's craggy steep rocky hills."

Prism says, "So, we know that Verungnr is a spooky eldrich immortal that's sort of out there on the fringes. It's alien. We don't necesarily understand what it's all about-- so we, we being humans, project what we think it's about onto it, so far as I understand the lore."
Prism asks, "Given that, My question is this. Would it be fair to say that Verungnr is almost a primal sort of immortal force? As in-- In it's alien-ness, would you say it is more immortal in the vein of, say, Vodr or Vanden, or more closely attributable to a primal entity such as the great spirit of the deep? Are there any people out there in the world that have opinions on that? Or is it generally agreed that the less attention people offer Verungnr, the better off they are?"
Rias says, "Yeah, it's not really put in the same category as Vandin and Iarel and Undm and such because they're all at least human-relatable. Even if you argue that humans themselves have made them that way, there's still the fact that Verungnr is decidedly -not- human-relatable, and virtually nobody claims otherwise. I could see that leaidng some to put it more in the Primal category, it definitely has more that kind of flavor. But I think most people don't go too hard into categorizing Verungnr other than to say its Verungnr, and it's weird and scary and different."

Prism says, "It's mentioned in Verungnr's help file that more than a few sorcerers were exiled to islands out of a view of being, "evil beyond redemption". Is there a connection there? As in-- is Verungnr particularly hungry for evil sorcerers? Is sorcery more generally assumed to incline people toward evil-- or being viewed as evil? I know sorcery is taboo in some places, of course, but I'm more curious of the general significance. Additionally, given that, are there any sorts of people that are believed to be "Verungnr food" as it were? Or is it mostly just a general label of, "Bad people. Really, truly bad people. Who do truly evil things."."
Rias says, "You've got Aranas who is in a somewhat similar place, not easily categorized, but Aranas is more human-relatable than Verungnr, or at least humans view it that way."
Rias says, "Verungnr does have a reputation for showing up to eat those who are considered particularly "evil". And sorcery is often thought of as having the potential to affect someone's moral compass so to speak; to cast off moral and ethical inhibitions and the like."
Rias says, "Those two together seem to be a particularly tempting snack for Verungnr. Of course, one must also take into account that some of this may well be folk myth. The people of the Lost Lands unfortunately do not have access to the factual statistics of Verungnr appearances and accompanying motives."
Rias says, "Rather, the people of the world in general. Not just the Lost Lands."

Prism says, "Does Verungnr have any noteworthy nemesis or rival figures in the immortal sphere? Or do the immortals mostly view him is that weirdo that should be generally kept at tentacle's length? (Spare Vodr's daughters. I do know Verungnr gets sleepytime lullaby songs to chill him out sometimes.)."
Rias says, "Aside Nereia, the Immortals all keep well away from Verungnr. Maybe the Abyssal Horror had a nemesis at one point, but ate them and the world forgot. Yum. But generally speaking Verungnr is considered more a "fact of life" for the Immortals that they can't reason with or defeat. It's out there, and they steer clear of it as much as they can, and when they can't, they try to figure out how to not get eaten. Defeating or destroying it doesn't ever seem to be on the table."

Prism says, "And since I mentioned it-- we know Vodr has daughters. Did they have a mom? Or was it some crazy greater immortal sublimation of being stuff where he was like "I'm lonely" *splits self into thirds* "And now I have daughters. I love you, sweethearts." Feel free to answer or not answer this as you like. I know it's ridiculous."
Rias says, "It's weird when Verungnr -isn't- the weird question."
Rias says, "No, it's a good question, and I'm sure it comes up a lot in theological musings and whatnot. I've written and deleted a bunch of answers already so I'm going to rain check this one until I decide just how I want to answer it. It's another one of those "what angle do I want to present to the playerbase with" things. Sorry! I'm writing it down to include it when I update the Vodr/Nereia/Naia documents."

Reslior exclaims, "First I want to say thank you so much for creating and maintaining this world. Today has been my first full day playing and I've been unbelievably impressed and encouraged by the level of player engagement, the complexity and thoughtfulness of the mechanical systems, and the structural potential for deep lore and the concomitant roleplay. Kudos to all of you and a big thank you to those who interacted with me and helped me today!"
Rias says, "Of course your first day would be Crash Day."
Speaking to Rias, Fellborn says, "Could be worse. Could be Fellborn back from hiatus day."
You disagree with Fellborn.
Speaking to Fellborn, Rias says, "We don't talk about that day."
Speaking to Rias, Fellborn says, "Your fault for hiring me."

Reslior asks, "Geographically speaking, where is the extent of the playable area in the lost lands? How much lost lands extends beyond the boundary of this area? Do we know anything about what those areas are like? Are there equally civilized places? What is known of the racial composition of Aetgard before the plague? Are there sources in game or out of game referring to life before the plague? Is it a mystery or is it something that is part of everyday knowledge?"
Reslior exclaims, "A lot of questions, but I think they can be answered with more unified responses. Apologies!"
Rias says, "The entirety of the playable area is encompassed by the Lost Lands, which is a section of the ruined Kingdom of Aetgard, which is a signification portion of western Arad (the continent we're on). To the north/northwest are the lands of Tatlhuecatn (home of the Huecatn people) and further, Sirak Drauth, homeland of the Giganti. To the south is the Kingdom of Lapis, claiming to be the last significant remaining vestige of Old Aetgard, and further south than that beyond the impenetrable Fey Forest is Karnath, the homeland of the Hillfolk."
Rias says, "Aetgard was originally founded by Faewyr, and as it grew into a greater civilization it became something of a melting pot, though had a particular Viali influence earlier on."

Reslior asks, "So the playable area is essentially the full limits of what we would consider the lost lands besides the border regions that you've mentioned and are mentioned elsewhere and lore?"
Rias says, "The playable area will likely never go beyond the Lost Lands, aside from some potential event that temporarily takes people beyond it. The current playable area is only a portion of the Lost Lands though, mostly the Central Lost Lands. There's a lot more of it yet to the north and the south."
Reslior says, "That was my central question, thank you. One followup."
Rias says, "And regarding the last bit of your previous question, there's frustratingly little information on pre-Plague Aetgard. This is considered an anomaly. That is: Scholars and historians and researchers and the like all agree that something weird is going on about why there's such a large blind spot in knowledge regarding what was apparently one of the most powerful and influential civilizations on Arad."
Reslior asks, "Is there anything more you can say about these areas to the north and south of the current playable area? What resources are available about the Lapis? I saw one mention on the boards but not much else. is this something that is currently developing? Something that there are resources for in-game to understand better? Other sources I may have missed or you'd care to comment on?"
Rias says, "There's not much information available yet on the northern and southern Lost Lands regions. Lapis is very tight-lipped and xenophobic so it's naturally difficult to know too much about them, but at some point I'd like to get some general knowledge out there. There's even less current general knowledge on the Northern Lost Lands other than the Dominion has started expanding up that way. This is largely due to the fact that I haven't developed a lot in that area in particular, other than some vague and basic information points that I'm not ready to commit to stone yet."
Rias says, "One point of interest may be that Aetgard is generally believed to have originally been founded by some Faewyr who landed up in the northwest. So the oldest of the old of Aetgard is up that way."

Maina says, "I had a lore question followup on squidgod but am fairly certain it won't get answered. So! I will instead go to my followup on the infested animals. I have a character that does not fight Resen for fear of infection, partially inspired by Caer Ioan and their talk of a procedure to protect against infection by making peeps nethertouched. It has, admittedly, made grinding combat a bit trickier. Is this still a thing? Does the Dominion have access? Will players be able to elect to undergo this procedure? Nethertouched when? (I'm sorry it's been so long since a 'when' question has shown up)."
Rias says, "Sure, the whole nethertouched condition isn't exclusive to Caer Ioan or anything, and I'm sure there are a decent few in the Dominion as they utilize sorcery quite frequently. Some coming to be that way naturally, others may have sought it specifically. I'm still deciding how exactly to handle applying that to player characters, as I don't think I'd want to water it down to just something that people can sign up for and get. (And also I think a lot of people would regret it pretty quick.) That said, I will keep in mind those that are clearly seeking it specifically and have been for a while. There are those in Mistral Lake who would know all about that kind of thing."
Maina asks, "Awesome, thanks. Good to know! The squidgod question is related to the message when you die and return to Ember Docks, and I'm assuming you'll want that to stay mysterious?"
Rias says, "Yes, it will remain mysterious. More for the Crackpot Theories board! That messaging is definitely specifically there for a reason."

Teri says (muffled by a mask), "I was curious about any info/ideas for possible tattoo touch ups the future, say, someone getting a current tattoo customized, or removed."
Rias says, "Touch-ups, additions, and cover-ups, sure. Not so sure about removals - tattoos are forever! Have someone tattoo a nice dark shadowy wraith over the name of your ex."
Teri says (muffled by a mask), "Could be a good riln sink, removals are *expensive* but I've gotten mine with the assumption of no removal."

Teri says (muffled by a mask), "My next question is about email updates. Sorry! A few have asked about response times, and I assume Octum has been very busy. No one wants to bother you, but they worry about emails bouncing if you did write replies, so they sort of linger in limbo unsure about sending follow ups."
Rias says, "I'll go through my emails after I eat dinner after this meeting."
Teri exclaims (muffled by a mask), "Thanks!"
Rias says, "And I'll try to remember the ones that are flagged but not unread, because I have a habit of reading an email, taking a while to think of how to reply, and then something else comes up and I swear to get back to it later. Butterflies, butterflies everywhere. I delibrate way too long over writing email responses. I should give myself some kind of sentence limit."

Teri says (muffled by a mask), "I caveat this with I've not tested this recently, but a lot of people comment on ranged training slower than melee (Where I would guess they trained melee first, then ranged after.) My experiences for training ranged was if I only used ranged against something that would give skill gain, I could get.3 skill gain, but if I used feint, dirt kick or any melee attacks the skill train for ranged was.1 (Or nothing if I couldn't get exp with melee) Is it intended if you use the combination of both, it applies the skill gains of the highest skill to both? I did not test how both may increase at the same time as my melee was maxed when I observed the rest."
Rias says, "Oh, huh. I wonder if that's what the issue is with ranged that people always bring up but I can never track down."
Rias exclaims, "I'll write that down and investigate!"

Eugor asks, "Is Aranas considered by anyone to be an animal spirit? What separates Aranas from the animal spirits?"
Rias says, "Some do consider Aranas to be an animal spirit, but it's more common to think of Aranas as an entity that takes the form of a spider, rather than being specifically a spider spirit. Or maybe it started out as a spider spirit and become more than that through somehow being the target of concentrated worship or belief. Or maybe it's a mask Ujaeio puts on when they want to get up to particularly spooky stuff."
Rias says, "Everything was fine in Arad until that fateful Octum festival when Ujaeio saw a spider mask really liked."

Eugor says, "Nobody has their hand raised at the moment."
Eugor points at Nobody.
** Eugor has ceded the floor to Nobody.
Rias snickers.
Marcuson covers his face with his palm.
Chariot laughs!
Nobody says, "Well, that's delightful."

Nobody asks, "Are there any prevalent theories about why octum spirits only show up on roads and not off the beaten path?"
Rias says, "They're likely clinging to behaviors they knew in life, and naturally gravitate toward roads."
Rias says, "Good way to phrase a question you know you won't get a straight answer to, by the way."
Nobody exclaims, "Thanks, I try!"

Maina asks, "You just said 'behaviors they knew in life' is this confirming that nethrim are, at least sometimes, actual ghosts?"
[FROM Vazbol (OOC)]: Time to search for the maya spectre
[TO Vazbol (OOC)]: If only.
Rias says, "It's believed that those nethrim which appear humanoid and act at least vaguely human-like are possibly "ghosts", yes, though there are other theories as to what would cause nethrim of this kind as well, and they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Note to self, add a Rook NPC with ask responses to the Library..."

Rias says, "All right! I'll disable Conch Mode in just a second. Thank you all for joining us, and thanks to all those who had questions. It's amazing to have you all interested in this game and this world, and thank you all for being a part of it and helping me realize this world even more."
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.