Ideal idle time to log out character and leave at account screen?

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
artus

Re: Ideal idle time to log out character and leave at account screen?

Post by artus »

Afk timer as of now is short enough that something like me typing a very long emote triggers it. Agreed with the above posts on longer afk timer there.
Also agreed with @terry on location specific kicking. Inn/vault shouldn't be affected much, for example.
rocode

Post by rocode »

artus wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:58 am Also agreed with @terry on location specific kicking. Inn/vault shouldn't be affected much, for example.
Definitely agree with this.
artus

Post by artus »

I noticed idle timer is coded at 20 minutes now, which was the time I took to run short missions on the other mud and back, or a fast lunch. Personally, I'd say 20 minutes is a little, if not way too short. It's like just a bit after afk timer kicks in, you going afk for something urgent, take a bit longer than you think and you come back kicked.

Would love to see it extended by at least a little so short afk doesn't get affected too much.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

This post is mostly going to be echoing sentiments expressed above; I feel like an idol timer should generally exist, as I've been a part of quite a few situations in which RPing being around an entranced individual, or even guarding them, has felt vaguely weird. However, I feel like it should be pretty indulgent, since I can count the repeat offenders in all of this on my fingers. I'd say around 25-30 minutes is fair, with the exception of inn rooms/bank vaults, where it should be extended or not take effect.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
SuperSpicyJad

Post by SuperSpicyJad »

What about giving each player the option to set their timer individually? And/or the option to toggle auto-logout on and off? There are many times, particularly during large gatherings, that I personally (and I assume other players too) had to stay idle, partly because more interactions going on would've been too hectic, or because other players were doing something that required no interaction. Artus' wedding comes to my mind, it would've gone way differently if the guests kept spontaneously leaving out of the blue.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Think it should be 10 minutes afk myself (while I'm aware you're not a flowery emoter Rias, we have a few people who are), and 20 minute kick after going afk.

That would be a total of 30 minutes not imputing any commands at all.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

SuperSpicyJad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:09 am What about giving each player the option to set their timer individually? And/or the option to toggle auto-logout on and off? There are many times, particularly during large gatherings, that I personally (and I assume other players too) had to stay idle, partly because more interactions going on would've been too hectic, or because other players were doing something that required no interaction. Artus' wedding comes to my mind, it would've gone way differently if the guests kept spontaneously leaving out of the blue.
If a player is there for something that requires no interaction, it isn't hard to send heartbeat commands every now and again, if you must.

There isn't much reason to have the auto-logout, in non-protected areas, be more than thirty to forty-five minutes, in my opinion. It's enough time to go eat dinner or something if I really needed, though I would be putting my character in an innroom during that or have a pose that clearly says the character is like, asleep, or something.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Karjus wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:53 am (while I'm aware you're not a flowery emoter Rias, we have a few people who are)
Feeling called out over here :lol: but I agree.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
SuperSpicyJad

Post by SuperSpicyJad »

Gorth wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:58 am If a player is there for something that requires no interaction, it isn't hard to send heartbeat commands every now and again, if you must.
While that is true, I don't find it to be a good enough reason to disregard looking into a toggle. The point of QoL changes (which I believe the logout-timer is) is to make the user experience more pleasant, and just because you can mediate to a problem by doing something mildly bothersome doesn't make the problem null.

Now I do agree that with a long enough timer, the issue becomes way less prevalent (typing l once every 30 minutes shouldn't be that big a deal), and I'm not saying that increasing the timer and making it apply to only appropriate locations wouldn't be good enough of a solution. I just believe that giving the players the option to modify the amount of time it takes them to time out according to their own individual needs is the optimal way of solving the problem, conceptually.

Of course, this doesn't take into account the complexity of implementation, with which I'm unfamiliar. But that, I believe is left to the developers' judgement.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

SuperSpicyJad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:48 am
Gorth wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:58 am If a player is there for something that requires no interaction, it isn't hard to send heartbeat commands every now and again, if you must.
While that is true, I don't find it to be a good enough reason to disregard looking into a toggle. The point of QoL changes (which I believe the logout-timer is) is to make the user experience more pleasant, and just because you can mediate to a problem by doing something mildly bothersome doesn't make the problem null.

Now I do agree that with a long enough timer, the issue becomes way less prevalent (typing l once every 30 minutes shouldn't be that big a deal), and I'm not saying that increasing the timer and making it apply to only appropriate locations wouldn't be good enough of a solution. I just believe that giving the players the option to modify the amount of time it takes them to time out according to their own individual needs is the optimal way of solving the problem, conceptually.

Of course, this doesn't take into account the complexity of implementation, with which I'm unfamiliar. But that, I believe is left to the developers' judgement.
Yes, sure. I just mislike the idea of being able to set your timeout timer when people will just set it to the maximum and let live. It isn't really actually that big of a deal, to be fair, I just really, really hate talking to people and waiting for five minutes and it turns out they're AFK so I'm not going to get a response. Extreme example, but it has happened. Multiple times. And it's not always peoples' fault, it happens, but sometimes people do just leave there character heavily wounded and exhausted AFK in the middle of nowhere.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.