Voicechat Log: Saturday October 15th

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

Voicechat Log: Saturday October 15th

Post by Teri »

(Might adjust in the future because my word wrap got funky, but for now, voice chat log from today)

Q: Speaking to Rias, Rocode says (muffled by a skull), "With the recent announcement of an auction,
would it be possible for us to get a mechanical system in place for future events, player run or
otherwise? Mail tallying is quite a chore, and I am sure Fellborn grows even more murderous with
each letter."

A: Rias says, "Agreed. I was thinking about that when Fellborn said he was doing one, but didn't have
time for this event."

Rias says, "I also hope to get the merchant line system working in time for some custom merchant
work this year at the Octum Festival. It keeps track of lines of people waiting for work and such,
similar to our conch system here."

Q: Gorth exclaims, "Alright: Do Undm's domains extend beyond Judgement? E.G. would it be folly to use
her as a form of War God due to her (apparent) ties to death? Similarly, would she dislike being
used as a judge for one particular side as Verungnr might be a judge for the wicked? JUSTICE!"

A: Rias says, "Undm isn't really associated with causing or inflicting death. More the handling of
souls who have died. How exactly she judges the worthiness of souls is somewhat vague, and different
cultures have their different ideas to the specifics of course."

Q: Gorth says, "How common is it for someone to make that mistake, though, I guess is my question.
They'd be like, oo, souls! Afterlife! That means death god! And get got by a local Undm worshipper
for disrespecting there god. Goddess? Whatever."

A: Rias says, "Verungnr is less a judge and more a monstrous eldritch entity that has particular tastes
that happen to be occasionally be handy in certain matters of judgment to certain individuals."

Rias says, "I suppose it's reasonable that some might see Undm as a death-bringer rather than a
death-handler, but I wouldn't imagine it's very common."

Q: Gorth says, "Next, then. Lots of 'common's in this question: How common is specifically Undm
worship? How common is it to pray to her specifically and not just as a whole or as an uncommon
occurance."

A: Rias says, "Considering she handles what's going to happen to souls in an eternal afterlife, I'd say
most people manage to squeeze her into their religious outlook in one way or another. Particularly
dedicated or fervent worship however is probably less common. People have that general tendency to
focus on the here and now. Poor Undm likely often gets treated as more of an insurance type of
entity, but there are going to be those few who are looking more to their future in the afterlife
than this life, or feel called to serve Undm and potentially have a place in that whole system."

Gorth asks, "So no religious Undm worshipping groups or churches, then? Or at least, not common?"

Rias asks, "There are some, but overall less common, yes. Why invest in my future when you can
invest in your present?"

Rias says, "Mixed up my/your in that last, but you get the idea."

Q: Gorth asks, "How are Undm worshippers viewed by the general populous?"

A:Rias says, "Undm worshippers are generally well-respected (not a great idea to risk offending
someone who potentially has some clout with the one in charge of your afterlife), but probably
treated as a bit eccentric or creepy. It's of course going vary greatly depending on the individual,
but that's a sort of generalized overall perception."

Q: Gorth asks, "Any particularly known things Undm worshipers do? Secondarily, what kinds of things
would be something you'd squeeze into your worship if you were a silly person who didn't worship her
all the time?"

Q: Rias says, "The last "creepy" comment being mostly because of how humankind looks at (and fears)
death, though. Undm adherents tend to be interested in comforting those thinking about or facing
death, not in being spooky death-cultists."

A: Rias says, "Rain check on the specifics. I think that'd make for a good post (or addition to the
wiki/helpfile document."

Q: Gorth asks, "Right, two more. Undm worshipper colors?"

A: Rias says, "Good question! I have multiple ideas, none of which I've committed to yet."

Q: Gorth asks, "Booooring! Last one, and then I'm done for a while, sorry! How does she like the
undying?"

A: Rias says, "That's a less solid one, because it's an anomalous phenomenon limited to a specific
place that the rest of the world tends to stay out of, and it's also a somewhat recent thing. Among
adherents in the Lost Lands who have accepted that the Undying thing is in fact real, thoughts are
going to vary. Some say it's a troublesome and worrying anomaly throwing off the way things should
be. Others might say it's Undm who's responsible for it the first place, perhaps as a curse leveled
against those who found themselves exiled to the Lost Lands."

Q: Speaking to Rias, Eugor says, "When are the zithrak going to take over? Also, what are the zithrak?
In other words, I like your tattoos."

A: Rias says, "Fear the arrival of the wild zithrak. It is like nothing any of you have ever faced."

Q: Eugor says, "'The policies mention playing multiple accounts at the same time, but that kind of
implies that we're allowed to have multiple accounts. Is that something there more for GMs who have
their own GM account and player account, or is anyone able to host multiple accounts, just not play
them at the same time."

A: Rias says, "It specifically mentions situations where multiple people are playing from the same
location, like two family members in the same house."

Rias says, "Those cases need to be approved by myself. It is not allowed in any circumstance for a
single player to play multiple accounts/characters at the same time."

Rias says, "And to clarify, no player should have multiple accounts, either. This would be
effectively getting around the alt limit, which I hope goes without saying is against the rules and
the point of the limitation in the first place."

Q: Delphine asks, "Given the connection between Bathal and Kurn, are there places in the world where
they would share the same holy space? Like, 'Oh, yeah, that's the Bathal/Kurn temple/shrine?' Or is
it more like Bathal always has his orderly, pragmatic temples while Kurn has her bloody, makeshift
altars out in the woods?"

A: Rias says, "I could see occasional shrines, sites, or temples to both of them, sure. Those would be
the exception, but not unheard of. Kind of like a single temple to Vodr, Nereia, and Naia. (And
maybe a hidden little trapdoor leading down to the Verungnr Pit.)."

Q: Delphine asks, "Love it. The Kurn Pit. My next question: It sounds like Bathal is generally
considered kosher while Kurn is not. Given how they often work together, how does that track in
places like Shadgard where Bathal would be considered 'not terrible,' (but also not the preferred)?
Do people just conveniently turn a blind eye to the fact that he associates with a daemon? Or does
Kurn's association with Bathal actually make her a bit more palatable to some?"

A: Rias says, "That association contributes to Bathal being less-generally-accepted. Those in places
where Kurn is more a taboo would probably use it more as a cautionary tale type of thing, saying
see, here is when Bathal tried to work with Kurn, and look at all the chaos and problems that
resulted. A reminder to not deal with the likes of Kurn."

Q: Delphine says, "Brilliant. Thank you. Last question from me: I'm trying to think of how best to
phrase this one. Will followers of specific immortals ever have a hierarchy with cool titles? An
example of what I mean: adherents of Serafina could be called Lightbringers or something equally awe-
inspiring. The highest level of a Bathal worshipper could be given the title of, 'Conquerer.' Is
that something you'd be more keen on players just coming up with on their own or will we eventually
see somewhat structured religious organizations which are canon (outside of the Harbingers as a
blanket organization for the darker immortals)? I hope that made sense."

A: Rias says, "You hear a tale of desparate times calling for desparate measures where Bathal called
upon Kurn (or pointed her at something/someone), and then point out how bad the results or side
effects were, and use that to say that even in desparate times we should be mindful of what
desparate measures we take."

Delphine says, "Side note: I now want to see a book in-game entitled something like 'Cautionary
Tales for Incautious Children'."

A: Rias says, "I think some kind of official-unofficial religious organization could be neat. Positions
and titles and such with stuff like that are always a lot of fun. The two big worryies there for me
are: A) People treating it as just a mechanic or something they can "grind" to get rep with an
Immortal or their organization. I like stuff with Immotals to be deeper that and more personal. And
B) People thinking that these organizations are The One True Way It Is for these Immortals, when
Immortals stuff is extremely varied even when it comes to interpretations of the same Immortal. But
those worries aside: I do think it's cool stuff. I'd love to find a way to make it work, and give
the dedicated folks their moments and their places."

Delphine says, "Oh for sure. I agree on all points. Thank you for letting me bother you with more
immortal RP questions! That's it from me. Thank you for the tattoos (and other stuff.) They're
awesome."

Rias says, "And side note: I'm thrilled with how much more attention the Immortals are getting in
COGG than in CLOK. I've said it before but I'm saying it again because it fills me with joy."

Q: You say, "I'm going to be a pest with a when question.
You say, "Any updates on where on the list future locksmithing changes fall? Skill effecting speed?
Currently it takes about 30+ or so seconds for any locksmith to open a lockbox unless it is on their
upper skill range."

A: Rias says, "I don't have a When Answer for that one, other than I'd love to do it soon(tm) but
there's a lot of stuff that I think needs more attention. (Arcanists, death reform, Societies.) On
the other hand, it would be an easy add, so it may well be one of those things where I sit down one
day and say "Hey, I'm gonna do this real quick."."

Q: You ask, "A question from BBS- What's your opinion on printing? Is it something that's been
invented, yet, in the era COGG is set? How common is it, if so? Is it only restricted to Khaldea
etc?"

A: Rias says, "Yeah, I'm sure the Khaldeans have come up with it and utilize it, but it's probably not
a norm yet. Even if it were easy to assume it was the norm considering other tech levels in the game
already, I feel like it would hurt the game setting feel somehow if there were printing-press-
produced books everywhere."

Rias says, "So I'd say it's a thing, but still relatively rare at this point."

Rias says, "Maybe some stingy Khaldean inventor patented it and is keeping it to himself and his
privately-owned printing company."

Q: You ask, "Another question from BBS What was Shatterpeak Pass named after? Some peak named
Shatterpeak? What was that named after?"

A: Rias says, "That pass has a lot of shattered boulders and crags and stuff like that, and yeah, one
peak in particular that looks like some giant came along and hit it with a huge club, knocking the
top off and leaving the remaining top full of sharp cracks and crags."

Rias says, "In in interviews, The Mountain Father has stated that he can neither confirm nor deny
any involvement."

Q: you ask, "What are your top 3 geographical/geological Cool Things in Arad you haven't gotten to tell us very much about yet?"

A: Rias exclaims, "Uh. Hrm. I mentioned the Great Cliffs of Tol Rhun at some point. Stone Canyon is an
old favorite area from CLOK that I just love picturing the landscape of, a big old river canyon. I
hope to get that into the game someday soonish(tm). Same with the Eidhmor Salt Flats and connected
areas beyond it which I'm really excited to put out there and let people explore, because there's
some history there to be discovered that I'm really excited about. I'm also excited to reveal more
about the Ancient Lands of the Fasa and the ancient forest found in one part of it. Sirak Drauth has
a lot that I'm not going to comment on yet because I haven't committed to details. Hey, look I'm
doing a ramble in text form!"

Rias says, "Also one Geological Cool Thing that will be in Mistral. Which will be hilarious."

Q: Saladbowl says, "In a past email you mentioned at least one region of ivial not on the wiki: will it
be updated with all the "known" ones? I know making a comprehensive list can be writing yourself
into a corner though."

A: Rias asks, "Shoot. Did I never put the main territories of Ivial on their page?"
Rias exclaims, "I did not. Shoot. I can add those!"

Rias says, "The thing with Ivial is I'll probably put all the "Top Level" duchies/counties, but
there's wiggle room for all the smaller territories those are split into. Viali love appointing
lesser lords below themeslves to both delegate work and also to make themselves feel more
important."

Rias says, "Dukes can appoint Counts, Counts can appoint Barons, Barons can appoint landed Knights."

Q: Vaelin asks, "Just a few lore questions. How long ago was the first instance of undying documented?
About the canim, how do druids usually see them... and are there general history of stormhold that a
casual student of the guild be aware of?"

A: Rias says, "The Undying thing and how long it's been going on is all very hazy. It's largely
regarded by most of the outside world as just some folklore all those qurantined Lost Lands exiles
made up. You might, uh- hm. Hrm. I think I'm going to withold further information for a lore
studyable I'll sneak in for Octum."

Rias says, "The Undying thing and how long it's been going on is all very hazy. It's largely
regarded by most of the outside world as just some folklore all those qurantined Lost Lands exiles
made up. You might, uh- hm. Hrm. I think I'm going to withold further information for a lore
studyable I'll sneak in for Octum."

Rias says, "Most druids will probably tell you the canim are at least partially a result from primal
influence or power."

Rias says, "Whether it's something that's naturally happening to people, or it's a result of some
primal entity, or druidic meddling, or it's being deliberately brought about by some
person/people/thing/things, that's the fun stuff to speculate upon."

Rias says, "Stormholdt history is something I'm planning to add to both NPC dialog and lore
studyables soon(tm)."

Rias says, "Really want that Nightblade NPC in particular to give some info on the origins of that
particular warrior discipline. It's not a huge world-altering lore bomb or anything, but it's a fun
piece of history that I'm excited to put out there. But I want the Nightblades to be the ones to
learn it first so that they can pass it on to others curious if they so choose."

Q: Darkangel asks, "I have only a few. first, ill thee Twilight-I tent be around during this festivle?
second, is reanimation or any aproximity to life after death only a clok thing?"

Darkangel says, "Just wondering if the tent selling fancier ESP artifacts would be around this
festivle? i, don't really remember the shop's name."

A: Rias says, "Oh! We can probably drag it out for the festival. People love the custom ESP stuff. I'll
poke the GM who made it and see if they had any plans."

Rias asks, "When you say reanimation, are you referring to the Rook ability from CLOK, Minor
Animation?"

A: Rias says, "If so, it's a thing in the lore, and I plan to have it be a Warlock ability (with the
aid of the Rooks). In the almost-finished(tm) article on the Rhuidim I have here, it talks about
their usage of sorcery in controversial ways, including reanimation of the dead for labor or
informational purposes and the like. It's a very limited reanimation, not a true resurrection or
anything like that."

Darkangel asks, "Not, exactly. i don't know if i am making much sense here, but, if anything is
reanimated, revived, or anything of the like by nether, how much Sentience would it have?"

Q: Aras asks, "Can undying die of old age? if they do do they just become alive again, live some more
and then die again, or do they just end up creating a pile of corpses in some random ally of realy
old people?"

A: Rias says, "The reanimation done by most human sorcerers tends to be very limited, and the bodies
need to be in a state fit for life in order to be reanimated. If someone died to getting their head
chopped off or organ failure or something, the only reanimation they're suitable for at that point
is just raw physical components. A frame to be animated and controlled wholly by sorcery,
essentially. If all the major organs are still intact the body may be jump-startable into a limited
form of biological life and autonomy, but mental functions are extremely limited and it still needs
to be guided into what it's supposed to be doing by the animating sorcerer. It's rumored that some
extremely powerful sorcerers can bring people back in a "better" state than that, but that's the
realm of rare NPCs of significant power (and also may just be misinformation or propaganda - who
knows if the rumors are true?)."

Rias says, "The Undying need a functioning body. When the Undying 'come back' they don't come back
in an improved or de-aged body. Once the body is old enough to die of old age, the Undying can't
come back anymore. Similar for long-term health conditions that have gone untreated. Undying are
also susceptible to terminal disease and the like."

Rias says, "So the Undying thing is mostly applicable to things like sudden death brought on by
external reasons. Not the natural/gradual failure of the body on its own."

Rias says, "Get squashed in a cave-in in the mines? An Undying could come back. Get Black Lung in
the mines? The Undying condition won't help there."

Rias says, "So, the Undying still do need to take at least some level of care of themselves."

Q: Aras asks, "Last question what do the people think of the other celestial bodies other than
constellations like the moon?"'

A: Rias says, "The Khaldeans have this crazy theory they're trying to get to catch on within the
scientific community beyond Khaldea. It posits that there's a whole lot of stuff out there, most of
it really really far away, and those celestial bodies you see up there in the sky could be similar
to the world we're all on, or things like our Sun. The moon could be its own whole world out there!
(Lots of people say the Immortals may hang out there sometimes, so hey, it makes at least a little
amount of sense, right?)."

Rias says, "More likely though, it's the Veil or the edge of the mortal realm, and the Immortals
and/or other entities are back there doing who-knows-what."

Rias says, "Those lights and things twinkling, or occasionally wandering, are probably the Immortals
ore similar entities, or perhaps part of their workings up there."

Q: Gorth cheerfully expounds, "Undm seems logical to me, but are there any particular gods who are
often represented at funerals for any particular reason such as helping the soul to an afterlife?"

A: Rias says, "It's going to depend on culture and area for sure, but Serafina is a popular one, often
associated with helping people find their inner virtue and worth which goes in hand pretty well with
matters of soul-judgment."

Rias says, "Vandin often regarding knowledge and the recording of the person's life."

Rias says, "In some circles Aphraen has a partial association with the afterlife, where the world of
dreams is considered a sort of edge territory, or glimpse of, or mirror of the afterlife experience,
things like that."

Q: Gorth asks, "Right, then. What about Undm's views on netherim in general? They have souls? right?
What's the deal?"

A: Rias says, "In some circles Aphraen has a partial association with the afterlife, where the world of
dreams is considered a sort of edge territory, or glimpse of, or mirror of the afterlife experience,
things like that."

Rias says, "Naia for acknowledging the sadness of the situation and consoling it, always a good one
to have at such events."

Rias says, "Undm doesn't like the nethrim. They're a corruption of souls."
Gorth asks, "For Using of soul detection such as nether itself, do netherim appear to have souls?"

Rias says, "Inasmuch as the Soul Detection spell defines "souls" for consideration, yes."

Q: Speaking to Rias, Rocode asks (muffled by a skull), "Second, with the introduction of tattoos, will
we get a command to temporarily show off something underneath clothing?"

A: Rias says, "Yes, I was looking into a way to SHOW one's own tattoo to either a specific person or
the whole room a day or so ago."

Q: Speaking to Rias, Rocode asks (muffled by a skull), "Awesome! Thirdly, will nominate eventually work
with disguised individuals, or is that an intentional design choice?"

A: Speaking to Rias, Rocode says (muffled by a skull), "And finally, will Shadgard have a design pass
to bring it up to the same level of detail as Mistral? (e.g. firearms shop, unique novelty/flavor
stuff, etc.)."

Rias says, "I'd like nominate to work on disguised individuals you have assigned a name to. It's
just a pain with how the intro/disguise system is set up and I haven't sat down to come up with a
good solution to it yet."

Rocode says (muffled by a skull), "To clarify, detail meaning flavor, not mechanical resources."

A: Rias says, "Yes! I'm excited to get some Shadgard stuff going, and they especially need their gun
shop opened. It's Shadgard! If people have other ideas for flavor/novelty stuff to add to Shadgard,
feel free to post ideas on the BBS. Keep in mind I want Shadgard to stick to its feel as a dusty
frontier mining town, in contrast to the fancy-pants Mistral feel. For anyone jealous of the fancy,
it'd be best to consider moving to Mistral Lake rather than expecting it to come to Shadgard."

Rias says, "(And of course, we have Fahima and her crew giving Shadgard its MINOR steam/gas/pipes
feel. But that stuff is Fahima-style, i.e. lots of spit and grit and duct tape. Not fancy polished
orderly shiny technology.)."

Q: Marcuson asks (muffled by a mask), "Hmm. Fair enough! At the Octum festival, one of the Immortal
tattoo options seems like it shouldn't belong. Can you tell us something about that tattoo, or is it
something we'll have to discover in-character?"

A: Rias says, "Ooooh."

Rias says, "I want to ask which one you mean, but I'm not sure if I should. But I knew when adding a
couple of them that they would raise some eyebrows with their categorization. Also keep in mind the
tattoo artists aren't authorities on Immortals or the categorization of entities."
Rias says, "Also now I'm low-key worried that I accidentally added and ice cream cone to the
Immortals section or something."

Marcuson tee-hees. "No, nothing like that. It's a symbol of something that can be discovered not
very far from Shadgard."

Marcuson tee-hees. "No, nothing like that. It's a symbol of something that can be discovered not
very far from Shadgard."

Rias nods.

Rias exclaims, "Okay, that's what I figured it was. It's supposed to be there!"

Marcuson asks (muffled by a mask), "All right. Can you tell us about it and why it's there, or will
we have to find out in-character?"

Rias says, "I'll get either an NPC or some studyables to shed some more light on why some may be
thinking that way."

Rias wiggles his eyebrows.

Marcuson says (muffled by a mask), "Excellent. I was thinking about having Z call for a meeting of
scholars."

Q: Marcuson asks (muffled by a mask), "Sorry, two more questions, and then I'll be done. Next question:
What are the general Viali views of druidry?"

A: Rias says, "The Viali have a mixed opinion on druidry. They think it can be very creepy and scary
(they're right), but it's also practiced by their good friends and neighbors the Fasa. The Duke of
Boschverddi is said to have asked Fasa druids to help him care for his lands and ensure they stay
green and growing. But others do get caught up in the spooky side, and may even put it somewhere
near sorcery in its scariness and ability to "corrupt". It's very much a regional thing, though most
Viali are at least accepting of druidry because of their friendship with and trust in their Fasa
buddies."

Q: Marcuson asks (muffled by a mask), "Last question, and tangentially related: not including druidry,
do the Viali have any specific beliefs regarding the natural world or notable outlooks on nature?"

A: Rias says, "Viali practitioners of druidry aren't completely unheard of, but I'd say it's pretty
uncommon. More common up near the Fasa border of course, where the cultures have more of a mix."

Rias says, "I think even most Viali who would be interested in druidic stuff would prefer to defer
to a Fasa, feeling it's not the Viali's place to be practicing this particular thing that's quite
special and sacred to the Fasa. In all their Viali propriety, they'd not want to give the impression
they're trying to take it for themselves or claim understanding of this thing that's culturally of
little important to them while being culturally extremely important to their neighbors and allies.
But again: not completely unheard of for a Viali to try and take up druidry themselves. Just not
very likely."

Rias says, "I think the Viali mostly consider matters of "nature" and the natural world to be
important and worth considering when they make their own decisions on what they do and how they act,
but also kind of beyond their greater understanding."

Rias says, "They have their own scholars who study as best they can of course, but they mostly don't
really deep dive into it. It's important to understand it enough to not screw something up. Again,
making generalizations here."

Rias says, "They have their own scholars who study as best they can of course, but they mostly don't
really deep dive into it. It's important to understand it enough to not screw something up. Again,
making generalizations here."

Rias says, "Between their Fasa neighbors and their Kahldean neighbors, the Viali are content to
outsource a lot of that kind of scholarly research and knowledge."

Rias says, "They'll focus on stuff like art, culture, ethics, and the like."

Q: Eugor asks, "'Since learning of Khaldea, I've associated them and the industrial revolution. I
imagine a lot of their inventions are wacky doodads that have only a few niche uses, but how
accurate is that? I'm wondering about their usage of factories, assembly lines, and other extreme
practical applications of their technology. How much of their resources are put towards mass
production, if at all? Does the answer change when examining their war efforts, particularly in the
realms of firearms. Are these the weapons they're employing against the Nuum?"

A: Rias says, "I like to think that Khaldea has unintentionally sort of limited their own progress in
that they're still in the stage of experimentation and wonder, and they're not putting all their
knowledge and advancement to completely practical use. Partially because that's how Khaldeans are,
and partially for OOC reaosns to keep the tech level somewhat contained. I imagine some of them are
looking into initial-level industrial factory production type stuff, but I don't know that it's
quite caught on on a significant scale yet. They do strongly utilize their firearms to hold their
own against Nuum. There's also some rumors that... hmmmm. Not ready to reveal that one yet."

Q: Eugor says, "Ah here we go. Will we be able to expand upon the tattoos we have received at the
festival? If an artist comes around and we want them to touch it up or make some adjustment."

A: Speaking to Eugor, Rias says, "Sure, some tattoo touch-up and expansion is possible. We can have a
merchant just remove one and re-add it with an updated description. And eventually it'll be possible
to add long descriptions to them."

Q: Eugor says, "A simple request really. Possibly make it so that when we die in the OOC arena while
holding one of the oval leather balls, we drop it on the ground where we died? I bet we could make
the whole experience loads funner than simply going at it, though that's fun in its own way as
well."

A: Rias says, "Sure, dropping the oval ball on death in the OOc area would be cool. And then we could
bring the flags back for Capture the Flag. Hey, knockdowns should make you drop them too."

Q: Marcuson asks (muffled by a mask), "Enjoying the festival so far! I've got two questions. Two are
mine from the BBS thread, and two are from someone who couldn't make it. First question: Will the
militia in Shadgard "know" who's nethertouched and automatically forbid them from entering the town,
or will the nethertouched have to be discovered and then exiled?"

A: Rias says, "Militia won't know if someone's Nethertouched or not. If they had a reason to be
paranoid about specific people they might do something like "hang on, hold this iron pyramid real
quick first" thing, but they don't have any innate nether-sense."

Q: You ask, "From bbs: I'm pretty sure none of the Mistral guards are up for talking, and that's pretty
reasonable. Will we ever be able to talk to Samia or Cassidy more extensively, or to the two other
nameless blokes who recently popped up around Shadgard?"

A: Rias says, "Getting to the next question... Samia and Cassidy will probably one day be more
talkative. Cassidy more than Samia. The other guards placed in there are just a rotation of
militia."

Rias exclaims, "And I do plan to add a personality-having guard or two in Mistral as well, once I
have the time. But part of Mistral's "feel" is also that less-personable cold and orderly place.
Shadgard is where you go if you want to be on first-name basis with your town guards, your
physicker, the store owners, the guy you send your tool repairs to... it's the small-town town!"

Q: You ask, "From BBS: What does a snowbird look like?"

A: Rias says, "The snowbird I have in mind is a smallish mostly-white bird with some reddish-brownish
accents on its head and chest, and some darker accents on its wings. But I'm no ornithologist."

Q: Speaking to Rias, Lexx asks, "My last question is easy! Are the guild skill caps (particularly
Ranged combat, in the Caps By Skill page specifically) still accurate?"

A: Rias says, "I don't know! I didn't make that page. I don't recall changing skill caps, but I can
double-check ranged."

Rias says, "Ranged caps look correct."

Q: You say, "One last bbs question, then I'm afk a moment: Some of these festival toys and trinkets are
very much suited as stationary items, something furniture weight. Given we have nothing but chairs
anyway, could something heavy or supposedly heavy like those huge statues and horse toys be made
stationary and janitor proof? It makes more sense than carrying two rocking horses and have stick
horses in the bag with 2 encumbrance

A: Rias says, "I'm hesitant to add janitor-proofing to things, because then we get them piling up
and/or used for silly things. The rocking-horses should probably be made to require two hands to
carry around, though I'm pretty sure that code is old and doesn't actually work."

Q: Moreover says, "So a couple of things , first of all, I have a couple of bugged hammers in the
blacksmith workyard, I can't get them or discard them, only move them around from anvil to forge to
bench to trough."

A: Rias says, "This'll fix all existing hammers and then you can keep or trash them as you desire. It's
a simple one."

Q: Moreover says, "I should remark that it is unseemly for such design of art go on mere average
weapons."

A: Rias exclaims, "One more reason to look forward to the artisans being able to upgrade the quality of
items!"

Q: Moreover asks, "And lastly, could we see some more bandages in some of the out of the way places
that have shops that carry tools, etc?"

Moreover says, "Blackwater logging camp, the new waustation."

A: Rias says, "Sure, if you find outposts that don't have bandages but probably should, feel free to
post in the Outposts section of the BBS and request they can get some added."

Rias says, "Those are both good candidates for bandage-having."

Moreover says, "There is often a hospital sited at universities teaching med school , so even
bandages available at the library would make sense."

Rias says, "The Library needs a full infirmary."

Q: Speaking to Lexx, Nobody says, "First, great post with the arcana suggestions."

Speaking to Rias, Nobody says, "Second, on that, can you elaborate on what kind of suggestions you'd
like for arcanists? I've enjoyed the scholarly / research feel of figuring out the Krytael glyph,
and I've enjoyed testing how all the various glyphs can be used but that's temporary too."

Speaking to Rias, Nobody says, "I expect any kind of research how these mechanics work will be
temporary unless as Lexx suggested they be unpredicatably shifting in nature."

Speaking to Rias, Nobody says, "So, I would love to feel more researchy, but my only suggestion for
how to make that a long-term thing is to have go research arcane thing."

A: Rias says, "Right. Throwing in more variables that affect arcana would definitely help the
experimentation bit."

Q: Speaking to Rias, Nobody asks, "Do you have a bigger vision for what that research feel should be
like?"

A:Rias says, "Right now I'm more focused on just giving them some more abilities than fleshing that
particular aspect out, though it's certainly something I want to do. It's hard to help you help me
though, because so much of Arcana is arcane and unknown to the players."

Rias says, "Oh, but modifier ideas would be a fun thing to crowdsource ideas from. Even if they
aren't all used exactly as presented, getting ideas for how the same affected could be potentially
modified would be great for springboarding other ideas."

Rias says, "Since I want to get to the Triangle and Diamond shapes, four three- and four-glyph
circles for Arcanists."

Nobody says, "That's fair, I'll finish my post about the variables I've observed, it might help to
have some out there to build on. I'll work on some modifier ideas too. Bigger circles does sound
exciting."

Rias says, "Then I can start throwing a ton of modifier glyphs out there for Arcanists to experiment
with, some that are useful, some cosmetic, some weird, and some bad(tm)."

Q: Merin asks, "Two questions. first. When artisans come out, is there a possible respect we would get?
I, for one, created one character as a warrior because, I mean, blacksmithing is what I'd like to do
but I can't get it higher than 400 and woo fine weapons yay, so I fight to fill the rest of my time.
Having had the choice, I'd have made artisan. In fact, I was saving the respect we had for that
purpose. Or will we not get that and have to create all new characters?"

Merin says, "To clarify, I mean character resets/rerolls like we had a year or so ago."

A: Rias asks, "I did say way back when that I'd probably offer a respec when the Artisan Guild is
released, and I'll stand by that, though I do think I'll still keep it a case-by-case thing. I don't
know that I want some wildly different respec thing to happen, you know? Like a capped perpetually-
spooky-robed sorcerer everyone has gotten used to for being spooky and offering spooky services and
being followed by a familiar, and then suddenly on Tuesday he's become a flannel-wearing carpenter.
That would be weird, you know?"

Q: Merin asks, "And the second question. Treasure hunters. I want to have my treasure hunter be all
treasure huntery, but I can only do that every six hours or so. the rest of the time I'm trying to
find things that I'm not really seeing for the character to keep my bucket full and to occupy myself
with. I'd like to suggest things to help treasure hunters be more unique and less like the rogue
light that I feel they are. But I guess maybe I'm not sure of what, exactly your intent for them to
be is. I know they find things and deal with traps, but mechanicly that involves just the boxes and
maybe if you're a bit mischevious stealing from people. So can you kind of shed light on treasure
hunters, what your ideal is for them, and what we can look forward to?"

Merin exclaims, "Because the way I see it now is they are more non combatants that still can go and
see. maybe a greedy scout or a tinkerer or what have you. But if they're meant to be more edgy and
using artifice to fight and cheat and be Lara Croft, that would be helpful to know!"

A: Rias says, "Yeah, the Treasure Hunter vs Rogue thing has been an issue for a long time that I still
don't really have an answer for, honestly. They're unfortunately still mostly differentiated by what
they're *not*. They're not focused on shady sneaky stealthy potential-trouble stuff, as that is the
Rogue thing. But the Treasure Hunter "thing" has yet to be adequately determined, other than I wan
them to have some specialization bonuses with tinkering with traps and their components and stuff,
and having some tasks to go out and discover/recover things."

Rias says, "So I'm all for more suggestions to give them their own flavor and love."

Merin says, "I know you aid that there was to be the people with hands raised when Moreover was
speaking, which was Nobody and myself. Want me to yield to Gorth, or did I sneak in last."

Rias says, "If it continues for much longer that they're essentially just Rogues, we may end up
merging them. And then trying to come up with a fourth Adventurer class that has more of its own
identity from the get-go."
Last edited by Teri on Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Frisbee

Re: Voicechat: Saturday October 15th 14:00 MST

Post by Frisbee »

What's your opinion on printing? Is it something that's been invented, yet, in the era COGG is set? How common is it, if so? Is it only restricted to Khaldea etc?
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Q: Do Undm's domains extend beyond Judgement? E.G. would it be folly to use her as a form of War God due to her (apparent) ties to death? Similarly, would she dislike being used as a judge for one particular side as Verungnr might be a judge for the wicked? JUSTICE!
Q: How common is specifically Undm worship? How common is it to pray to her specifically and not just as a whole or as an uncommon occurance.
Q: If decently common, do Undm worshippers tend to do so alone or in groups? Churches?
Q: How are Undm worshippers viewed by the general populous?
Q: What are generally accepted forms of Undm worship?, with specific relligious focus in mind as well as minor everyday rituals someone might do on reflex?
Q: Are there any colors associated with Undm? Her priests; if she has any?
Q: Undm seems logical to me, but are there any particular gods who are often represented at funerals for any particular reason such as helping the soul to an afterlife?
Q: Is it known how Undm (and of course, any other gods in particular) view the undying?
Q: What about Nether, or more specifically, the Netherim?
Q: For Using of soul detection such as nether itself, do netherim appear to have souls?
Q: Can Netherim trigger Beldi based glyph patterns?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

What was Shatterpeak Pass named after? Some peak named Shatterpeak? What was that named after?

What are your top 3 geographical/geological Cool Things in Arad you haven't gotten to tell us very much about yet?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

I'm pretty sure none of the Mistral guards are up for talking, and that's pretty reasonable.

Will we ever be able to talk to Samia or Cassidy more extensively, or to the two other nameless blokes who recently popped up around Shadgard?
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

What does a snowbird look like? :snowbird:
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Will the militia in Shadgard "know" who's nethertouched and automatically forbid them from entering the town, or will the nethertouched have to be discovered and then exiled?

At the Octum festival, one of the Immortal tattoo options seems like it shouldn't belong. Can you tell us something about that tattoo, or is it something we'll have to discover in-character?
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Are the guild skill caps (particularly Ranged combat, in the Caps By Skill page specifically https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index. ... s_by_skill) still accurate?
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Given the connection between Bathal and Kurn, are there places in the world where they would share the same holy space? Like, "Oh, yeah, that's the Bathal/Kurn temple/shrine?" Or is it more like Bathal always has his orderly, pragmatic temples while Kurn has her bloody, makeshift altars out in the woods?

It sounds like Bathal is generally considered kosher while Kurn is not. Given how they often work together, how does that track in places like Shadgard where Bathal would be considered "not terrible," (but also not the preferred)? Do people just conveniently turn a blind eye to the fact that he associates with a daemon? Or does Kurn's association with Bathal actually make her a bit more palatable to some?

I'm trying to think of how best to phrase this one. Will followers of specific immortals ever have a hierarchy with cool titles? An example of what I mean: adherents of Serafina could be called Lightbringers or something equally awe-inspiring. The highest level of a Bathal worshipper could be given the title of, "Conquerer." Is that something you'd be more keen on players just coming up with on their own or will we eventually see somewhat structured religious organizations which are canon (outside of the Harbingers as a blanket organization for the darker immortals)? I hope that made sense.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
artus

Post by artus »

Some of these festival toys and trinkets are very much suited as stationary items, something furniture weight. Given we have nothing but chairs anyway, could something heavy or supposedly heavy like those huge statues and horse toys be made stationary and janitor proof? It makes more sense than carrying two rocking horses and have stick horses in the bag with 2 encumbrance.