Of Arcanist Alchemy

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Guillaumo

Of Arcanist Alchemy

Post by Guillaumo »

Following up the discussion from voice chat:

The idea would be around what I am calling Arcanist Alchemy (in case there may be other Alchemy also)

Tools:
Heavy Iron Ring Stand
Glass Bottles
Medium Liquid
Mortar and Pestle

Purpose:
The purpose of the idea is to create a mechanism in which an Arcanist can make portable and temporary items which allow the remote application of Arcanist effects.

Process: (My initial thoughts)

The Arcanist will need two primary things, a medium and a glyph.

The medium, I think, should be something other than water. There could be an opportunity to introduce additional additional Alchemcial tools for this, such as retorts and burners (needing oils) to distill the liquid. Perhaps just allowing a basic solution to be purchased at the start.

The glyph, An activator which can be drawn onto any existing circle in place of Beldi. This would allow the glyph to trigger on the presence of a medium entering.

The bottle of medium would need to be placed upon a Heavy Iron Ring stand which would also be placed into the circle. The Iron could serve as a funnel for when the effect triggers, to help direct it up and into the bottle.

Once activated the circle would disappear as normal, and the Ring stand and Bottle of effect (further called a potion) would remain.

Obviously, our understanding of this would be new, and the medium(s) we are starting off with would not be as great as we would like. This would result in the potions having a shelf life similar to food (or irl pharmaceuticals) where their potency drops off after or over time. My initial thoughts are that the effect would simply dissipate all at once as the medium looses its ability to hold it.

In order to prevent hoarding, I think the basic solution and entry level craftable solutions should have a shelf life in the single digit hours. The duration could be extended by recipes for more advanced (expensive) mediums.

I will not add too much commentary on this, as this is kind of our of my depth of knowledge at the moment, but the topic of wanting to use gemstones was brought up. By grinding up gemstones into powders, they could be introduced into the medium prior to evocation, to do .. something.

Use:
Potions would be able to be used in one of two ways:
1- A potion can be consumed by drinking it. This would impact the effect of the potion onto the user, consuming energy. An Empty glass bottle would remain to either be reused or smashed on the ground.

2- A potion can be thrown at a target. The bottle would shatter on the target. Energy would be consumed from the thrower, and the target gets the effect placed on them.

How do we achieve this:

I have no idea at the moment. :)
Guillaumo

Of Brewing, a predecessor to Arcanist Alchemy

Post by Guillaumo »

These are just some further musings on the above. Topics in this post will be fairly macro in nature.

new PRODESSION skill: Distilling

From Skill level 1-100 the Distiller will be able to pick up recipes to produce products from the following categories:
  • Teas
  • Coffees
  • Cocoas
At 100 skill the Distiller will be able train Abilities based on their Guild.
There could be 3 Trainable Ranks of each skill, progressing from Weak -> Basic -> Potent recipes.
Each rank increases the amount of time before the potions go inert. For example, a Rank 3 Weak potion would last longer than a Rank 1 Weak potion.

Arcane Alchemy - Requires 500 Arcana and 100 Distilling
  • This Ability allows the Arcanist (or Sorcerer if so inclined) to brew the Mediums necessary for capturing Arcanist effects (as outlined above) and suspending them inside of the liquid.
This would be achieved through the addition of a few recipes to create a Weak Arcane Solution, Basic Arcane Solution, Potent Arcane Solution.

Medicinal Alchemy- Requires 500 Medical and 100 Distilling
This Ability allows the Physicer to brew medical potions which can be used for individual benefit.
I'm not a Physicker, nor do I play one on TV, so I think it would be better to leave specific suggestion for Medical potions up to those more experience, and I do ask people to chime in on this.
My initial thoughts on this would be the following:
  • Something related to the poppies in the Bluestem Plains (not sure the effect)
  • A healing potion - Unlike a Ungent, the could restore condition to body parts over time, but completely at random. On a tick, it could select a random bodypart and apply a heal based on the potion's potency. If it selects a bodypart that is currently uninjured, thems just be the breaks.
  • Revitalization Potion - Applies a positive modifier to energy regen based on the potion's potency.
Poison Making - Requires 100 Distilling, 200 Sorcery, 100 Medical?
This Ability allows the Nightblade to craft poisons which can be applied to weapons, food, and drink.
Much like Medicinal Alchemy, I am not a Nightblade, so I would like to see other people's thoughts on his to implement this.
  • My initial thoughts on this would simply be an Energy Drain over time based on the potency of the poison.
At 200 skill the Distiller will be able to train Alcohol Distilling

Alcohol Distilling will be a more complicated tradeskill process which may make sense to gate behind the Trade Guild when implemented.
In order to perform Alcohol Distilling facilities will need to be constructed on one's farm. This would require the construction of a fermentation vat, a copper pot still
Fruit and Honey can be added to the fermentation vat to produce Beers and Wines.
Grains can be added to create alcoholic mash which can then be moved to the still to be distilled down into alcohol.
Alcohol and wine can then be stored in barrels and aged in a barn.