A List a Long Time in Coming.

Give your fellow roleplayers some kudos.
silly

Re: A List a Long Time in Coming.

Post by silly »

Believe it or not, I was extremely grateful that my character had to interact with Maya quite frequently towards the end. I did begin to appreciate her personality, recognising that it would do my character a lot of good to be forced into an environment in which she would have the types of people around her that she would otherwise hide from. Their very last interaction excited me especially -- it was beginning to look like Maya, being the way she was, would influence my character to do some very reckless things in the name of taking care of herself.

Sometimes, that one person with a differing view really helps change a story in unexpected ways, and I was looking forward to see how my character would take things.

It's not just her story that matters, though. Maya's matters just as much, and if any potential roleplay (mine or anyone else's) wouldn't quite be what you're looking for, it is very understandable.

Thanks for all the good fun (and especially the grumpiness) so far, and I do hope for more, with future characters!
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.
Frisbee

Funeral Logs

Post by Frisbee »

I know this isn't directly relevant to the original topic, but I figure it's a good place to do my duty and post the logs from today's funeral. Thank you all for coming, and especially to Taliaferro for presiding. I took liberty with what some typos and emotes meant, but if I was mistaken with regards to anything let me know and I'll make adjustments. Enjoy.
[Beach] (OutWldBeSd) Dusk, Mild
You also notice a pine-planked handcart labeled "L.T. his Chariot." (being pulled by Xenophon).
Also here: Lionel (GROUP LEADER, carrying a torch, sweaty), Volinn (group Second, carrying a torch), Nora (group, carrying a torch, riding a blue-roan overo horse with blue eyes), Suzy (group, riding a sleek red-roan horse with a lustrous coppery mane, smells of lemongrass), ?Hreidun? (group, carrying a torch, disguised, riding Sindri), (npc)The Golux (ridden by yourself), Baki (group, lightly-armored, carrying a torch and a shield), ?Pigeon? (group, disguised), (npc)Xenophon (group, pulling a pine-planked handcart labeled "L.T. his Chariot."), Caius (group, winded, carrying a longsword), Bianca (group, riding a lean bay courser with black points), Anna (group, riding a chestnut horse, smells of lavender), Neyah (group, carrying a polehammer, riding Thorn), and Florenza (group).
Florenza glances at Nora.
?Hreidun? extinguishes her pine-knot torch (scuffed).
?Hreidun? puts a pine-knot torch (scuffed) into her heavy canvas backpack (open).
Lionel walks a bit further down the beach, nearing a small rowboat.
Suzy lights a pine-knot torch with some firestones.
Nora dismounts from a blue-roan overo horse with blue eyes.
You dismount from The Golux.
Bianca dismounts from a lean bay courser with black points.
Suzy dismounts from a sleek red-roan horse with a lustrous coppery mane.
Anna dismounts from a chestnut horse.
Nora extinguishes her pine-knot torch.
Nora opens a heavy white wool backpack.
Nora puts a pine-knot torch in her heavy white wool backpack (open).
Nora closes a heavy white wool backpack.
?Pigeon? takes Xenophon by the bridle, halting him on the shore.
Neyah sighs, glancing behind her again before kicking Thorn's side, "Let me get the straggler."
Lionel produces a miniscule book from his coat pocket.
Volinn takes in a breath and slowly exhales, his left wrist coming to rest lazily over the hilt and crossguard of his sheathed sword.
Baki follows along whatever he sees people do.
Neyah leans toward Bianca and whispers something.
Bianca agrees with Neyah.
Neyah heads south, riding Thorn.
Elrond arrives from the south, riding a chestnut horse.
Lionel says, "Very well. We will await her return."
Elrond dismounts from a chestnut horse.
Bianca leaves Lionel's group.
Volinn turns to bow his head slightly to Elrond.
?Pigeon? nods to Elrond.
Bianca begins leading a lean bay courser with black points.
Elrond inklines his head to the gathered people.
Elrond says, "My apologies for my tardiness."
Bianca leans toward Anna and whispers something.
Lionel says, "Not at all. We have not yet begun."
?Hreidun? dismounts from Sindri.
Elrond steps closer to Anna.
Nora keeps her eyes forward.
Bianca leans softly on Elrond.
Elrond wraps an arm around Bianca, and turns to face the ocean.
Bianca leans on elrond but wraps a arm around Arabella's waist pulling her closer.
Anna gives an answering nod to Bianca, Anna's fingers slipping into her hand, besides that gesture, Anna stands still, her gaze flitting between the crashing waves and the enshrouded body.
Caius takes a few steps back, boots almost loud on the sand. And then he turns to face the group, and by extention the ocean, and stops moving as he observes.
Elrond inclines his head in a solemn bow of respect to the body.
Caius takes a bite of some salted wyrm jerky, then proceeds to finish it off.
Lionel says, "My apologies for the delay, everyone. I'm sure they'll be back presently."
Nora turns her eyes southwards for a few moments, mild irritation flitting across her face. It is gone just as she brings her eyes right back to the point she was previously staring at.
Florenza nods.
Elrond offers Lionel an enquiring look.
Neyah arrives from the south, riding Thorn, carrying a polehammer.
1 woman follows.
Volinn walks over to Sarah, and leans down.
Lionel says, "Ah."
You glance at Volinn.
Volinn leans toward you and whispers, "Why are you fisting two torches?"
Elrond hugs Neyah.
Speaking to Neyah, Lionel says, "Thank you."
You lean toward Volinn and whisper, "Because i had nowhere to put my spare."
Volinn appears to be trying not to grin.
You nod your head thoughtfully.
Lionel clears his throat and opens his book to a place marked with a ribbon marker, but does not look at the page.
Lionel asks, "If we're all quite prepared...?"
Nora nods to Lionel.
Bianca nods.
Suzy swivels her torch around to face Lionel as she turns, nodding in confirmation.
Lionel intones, "I AM the resurrection, and the life, saith Undm: She who is righteous, though she were dead, yet shall she live, and never die."
Sarah looks herself over and makes some adjustments to her posture. She settles with standing very rigid, torches still held aloft.
Neyah drops off Thorn, who pants as she trots away from the crowd of people. Glancing back, she assures a very short petite platinum-blond-haired adult woman with fair skin and gray eyes is still following.
Lionel says, "I KNOW that Undm liveth, and that she shall stand by me upon the day of my death. And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet I shall I behold my gods, and rest for ever."
Volinn turns to face Lionel, expression blank, his left forearm still resting over his sheathed sword's crossguard and hilt.
A very short petite platinum-blond-haired adult woman with fair skin and gray eyes nods to Neyah.
Lionel says, "WE brought nothing into this world, and it is is certain we can carry nothing out. The Immortals give and the Immortals have taken: blessed be their names."
Lionel nods.
?Hreidun? turns her attention to Lionel as her gaze flickers towards the sea.
?Pigeon? straightens, glancing out over the dark ocean.
?Pigeon? takes off a stiff black half-mask set with two curling bronze horns.
Neyah puts her fine ash-hafted steel polehammer (scuffed) in her leather pole harness.
Pigeon sings:
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters,
These see the works of Nereia, and her wonders in the deep.
For she commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.
They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.
Pigeon sings:
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.
Then they cry unto Nereia in their trouble, and she bringeth them out of their distresses.
She maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
Pigeon sings:
Then are they glad because they be quiet,
So she bringeth them unto their desired haven.
Oh that men would praise Nereia for her goodness,
And for her wonderful works to the children of men!
Pigeon bows her head.
Lionel says, "Amen."
Volinn bows his head.
Elrond inklines his head.
Suzy bows her head, clasping both hands around her torch.
Lionel says, "MAN, that is born of a woman, hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery. He cometh up, and is cut down, like a flower; he fleeth as it were a shadow, and never continueth in one stay."
Sarah inclines her head and joins in with her own "amen."
Nora follows.
?Hreidun? bows her head.
Florenza nods.
Lionel asks, "In the midst of life we are in death: of whom may we seek for succour, but of thee, O Undm, who for our sins art justly displeased?"
You gaze up at the night sky ...
Thick clouds block any view of the sky beyond.
Anna dips her head in a short bow, her hand tightening upon Bianca's.
Lionel says, "Yet, O most holy and most eternal Goddess, deliver us not into the bitter pains of eternal death."
Lionel says, "Thou knowest, LADY, the secrets of our hearts; shut not thy merciful ears to our prayer; but spare us, LADY most holy; O GODDESS most mighty, O holy and merciful Judge eternal, suffer us not, at our last hour, for any pains of death, to fall from thee."
Lionel says, "If now any of you would speak, I beg and pray that you should so now."
Lionel gestures to the crowd.
Sarah casts a sweeping glance over those assembled, but otherwise remains unmoving.
Baki wildly mimics people's actions, bowing repeated at the sea. Whether he understands anything is beyond his capability to reveal.
Suzy looks about to speak, but quickly settles back down, allowing her eyes to drift over those gathered.
Pigeon looks about, then takes a step forward.
Elrond takes a step forward.
Elrond nods to Pigeon.
Pigeon bows to Elrond.
Elrond takes a step back, allowing Pigeon to speak.
Anna looks about to speak, yet the motion is aborted halfway, something in the woman closing up.
Pigeon says, "I've just a song. Another song. But it is for her."
Lionel nods.
Pigeon smiles.
Lionel says, "Please."
Pigeon begins to sing, the melody a slow dirge.
Volinn smiles at Pigeon.
Pigeon sings:
When I was on horseback, wasn't I pretty?
When I was on horseback, wasn't I gay?
Wasn't I pretty when I entered that city
And met with my downfall at the end of the day.
Pigeon sings:
Six of my comrades to carry my coffin,
Six of my comrades to march by my side,
It's six of my comrades take a bunch of red roses
Then for to smell them as we go along.
Lionel seems to school his expression to a steely gaze.
Pigeon sings:
Beat the drum slowly and play the pipes only,
Play up the dead march as we go along
And bring me last to the sea side and lay me down easy.
I was a young soldier and this my last song.
Elrond blinks slowly.
Pigeon sings:
When I was on horseback, wasn't I pretty?
When I was on horseback, wasn't I gay?
Wasn't I pretty when I entered that city
And met with my downfall at the ending of day.
Baki waves his unlit torch and his shield at the singer, rumbling a soft babble to himself in jumbled imitation of what he hears. Nothing comes out even close to similar, let alone correct. It doesn't have any tune in the singing to begin with.
Volinn issues a quiet sigh under his breath, then looks away to the sea for a moment. He manages to tame a frown, then turns back to watch Pigeon solemnly.
Pigeon rests her hand on the edge of the cart a moment, regarding the still form within, then steps back again.
Lionel clears his throat. "Elrond, sir?"
Nora gives Pigeon a genuine smile.
Elrond nodds.
Elrond steps forward.
Speaking to Pigeon, Baki exclaims, "Bird good, mm!"
Elrond says, "I have very fond memories of Maya, as a friend, as a comrade in arms."
Baki taps his torch on Pigeon repeatedly.
?Hreidun? gazes towards the sea while listening.
Elrond says, "She was a wonderful person, who was loyal, brave and most of all, caring."
Pigeon smiles at Baki.
Florenza glances at Baki very briefly. There's a small smile on her face, but she soon turns her attention back to Elrond.
Elrond says, "She showed her friends loyalty, and inspired the same in others. This is what she earned in this brief period we knew her, the love respect and loyalty of this diverse group of people."
Suzy sighs quietly and lowers her head, the flame of her torch angling downward to the sand along with it. Her expression consists of what could only be considered the purist misery, quiet and contained.
Elrond says, "May your soul rest in peace, dearest friend."
Elrond bows his head.
Lionel nods.
Elrond steps back.
Baki idly plays with his torch, expression showing little understanding of the delicate wording.
Pigeon inclines her head to Elrond.
Lionel says, "Thank you. Very well said. Who else? It needn't be a speech. Just -- anything anyone cares to say."
Bianca glances at Anna.
Suzy steps forward, toward the body.
Elrond steps to Anna's side and wraps an arm around her shoulder.
Baki lifts his torch up to wave wildly at the sea. He lowers his shield hand, however, but doesn't sling it back.
Nora glances at Suzy.
Volinn turns to observe Suzy placidly.
Speaking to Suzy, Lionel asks, "Did you wish to speak?"
Suzy inhales slowly and looks down at the wrapped corpse, the glow of her torch illuminating the front of her face and billowing robe in ghostly firelight. She soon starts, voice clear, baring little trace of accentation. "Maya. We all knew her. To most of you, she was dear."
Anna returns the gesture, mumbling something too soft to be heard.
Lionel smiles.
Pigeon nonchalantly puts an inscribed paper sheet in her thick leather back-pouch (open).
Suzy says, "Some of us met her early on. Some, later. This doesn't matter. You are all hear, so she must have left a mark on you all in some way."
You nod your head thoughtfully.
Florenza nods.
Suzy continues, "So. To her friends, her loved ones and her colleagues. Thank you, for being here for her on this day. For being by her side."
Baki gazes, surprisingly concentrated at the wrapped corpse, his buried hint of sadness becomes more obvious at this point, hinting some understanding of at least the general mood of the speech earlier. As Suzy speaks, he continuously waves his unlit torch at the corpse and the sea.
Lionel smiles at Suzy.
Elrond martials his face into a neutral mask showing little expression.
Lionel asks, "Is there anyone else?"
Volinn shifts his weight to one foot, glancing through those gathered, then leans down and stuffs his torch's unlit end into the sand before taking a step forward.
Volinn drops a flaming pine-knot torch.
Bianca glances over checking on Arabella before doing the same to elrond and neyah.
Lionel nods.
?Hreidun? nods to Lionel.
Neyah glances again at the shrouded body, pulling away to scan around the beach for several moments with a frown.
Speaking to Lionel, Volinn says, "If I may."
Lionel says, "Of course."
Suzy glances to Volinn and stepps off to the side, letting him take the stage.
Volinn turns to focus his attention solely on the wrapped out body laying within the cart. His eyes drift downward briefly, but he composes himself and returns to looking upon it with a forced, almost cold-blooded stare. He starts to speak, then stops, exhaling instead. Finally, his voice is found, "Maya - you... truly meant a lot to me. You were the first one in the Lost Lands who I sought to know. I remember doing my utter best to make you crack a smile that first time we sat at length in Stormholdt's Halls and the pride I felt once I managed it. I remember how it felt to slowly regain the confidence I had lost over the years while conversing and spending time with you." He pauses, breath catching for a moment.
Baki nudges Lionel a little.
Volinn swallows, his expression murky and saturnine, then continues, "We didn't end on good terms, but I wish that we had managed the time to. Know that I will miss you and I promise that whenever memories of you sprout in this rotten brain of mine from time to time - that they will be fond ones." His head bows, and he takes a step back to make way for anyone else to speak.
?Hreidun? shifts her attention from Volinn to the sea as she steps forward.
Lionel nods.
Lionel smiles at ?Hreidun?.
Bianca steps forward still holding on to Arabella's hand.
Pigeon looks across to Volinn, smiling a little sadly at him.
Elrond listens to ?Hreidun?, his attention focused on the body in the handcart.
?Hreidun? tilts her head back, staring upwards at the sky, "She helped me greatly when I returned from being lost. Supplies, offers of help, and listening. Stopped me from further stupid one dark day, although she likely didn't know it." She clears her throat after a moment, the continues, "She tried, oft. I respected her for that." She remains quiet for several moments, turning towards the sea again.
Bianca nods.
Elrond nods to ?Hreidun?.
?Hreidun? sings:
The sea brought you to these shores
Brought to the unknown and more
May your joy to Nereia continue
May Undm safely ferry, your soul soar
Inhaling sharply, Anna steps forward, raising her eyes from the corpse to glance around the gathering.
Volinn looks over at Pigeon, returning a morose smile, then turns to watch ?Hreidun?.
Baki observes the line of people stepping out. Slow learner or not, A slight light of realizition shines in his eyes after a while of seeing more and more of them move. He nudges Lionel again.
Lionel smiles at ?Hreidun?.
?Hreidun? steps back afterwards.
Lionel smiles at Anna.
Speaking to Lionel, Baki curiously asks, "Mm, people b..bye bye maya?"
Volinn gives ?Hreidun? a little smile and turns his attention to Anna.
Lionel nods to Baki.
Crispus arrives from the south.
Baki beams happily!
Lionel nods to Crispus.
Florenza nods to Crispus.
Baki exclaims, "Baki bye bye maya!"
Sarah offers Crispus a slight nod.
Crispus nods quietly as he joins the group from the rear.
?Hreidun? returns a small smile to Volinn she settles back in place.
Elrond turns his attention to Anna.
Pigeon stands quietly at Xenophon's head, observing the assembly, hearing the words spoken, watching the bannering flames of the torches crackling in the wind from the sea.
Alexei arrives from the south, riding a blue-roan overo horse with blue eyes.
Bianca smiles at Anna.
Elrond nodds slightly to Alexei.
Bianca nods to Alexei in greeting.
Alexei wipes his brow.
Alexei dismounts from a blue-roan overo horse with blue eyes.
Lionel nods to Alexei.
As she speaks, nothing in Anna's expression conveys overt emotion save the trembling of her hands upon closer look. "You were a good friend, a good partner, and one of the most stubborn, wonderful, and lively people i knew. Rest well, dear. and find the piece you deserve." Anna steps back, deliberitly turning her face towards the salt spray, her eyes unusually bright.
Elrond wraps an arm around Anna gently.
Bianca clears her throat.
Lionel smiles.
Alexei leans softly on Anna.
Elrond nods to Bianca.
Anna leans softly on Elrond.
Anna leans softly on Bianca.
Alexei gazes up at the night sky.
Neyah peers quizzically at Bianca.
Looking over the body Bianca takes in a deep breath before letting it out slowly: Maya was a complicated person, we didnt get along for many reasons but I respected her as a fighter and as someone who would protect others. I hope she finds peace and I want her to know that I forgive her.
Lionel nods.
Sarah inclines her head slowly to Bianca, then takes a tentative step forward, looking to Lionel.
Bianca says, "She will be missed even if she drove me crazy at times."
Lionel nods to you.
Elrond nods to Bianca.
Nora lets out a frustrated-sounding breath of air as she watches Sarah.
Anna cracks a small smile, rapping an arm around Bianca's waist.
Baki restlessly waves at the wrapped body. Without stepping out as people do and without any indication of it being his turn, he rumbles loudly from where he stands, jumping a little in a mixture between deep sadness and great joy. His rumble unfortunately happens at the same time as Bianca's speech, "Mm, Baki Bye bye Maya! Maya happy, mm, go play..play with mama!"
Alexei smiles at Baki.
Bianca chuckles at Baki.
Anna tilts her head at Nora, an eyebrow arched in a silent question.
Suzy narrows her eyes, Irritated. Batting her eyelashes once, she turns away from Bianca as she finishes speaking.
Nora stares right back at Anna with a similar eyebrow raise.
Bianca leans softly on Anna.
Alexei clears his throat, then backs off at the attention.
Puzzled, Anna gazes between Suzy and Nora, though she doesn't interrupt the ones speaking.
Volinn turns to watch Sarah, smiling warmly- almost encouragingly.
Elrond reaches around Anna to softly brush Bianca's shoulder.
Sarah maintains a rigid posture and doesn't step further forward as she simply declares, "I will remember the ferocity with which she defended what was dear to her, and her willingness to sympathise and listen to others even as she struggled with her own issues." She then nods curtly at the corpse and steps back.
Lionel nods.
Nora pushes herself forwards. Looking determined.
Crispus simply offers Nora a silent, supportive nod as she passes by him.
Bianca gazes up at the night sky.
Alexei nods to Nora.
Volinn once again rests his left forearm over the hilt and crossguard of his sheathed sword, his warm smile shifting from Sarah to Nora.
Baki claps a random cheer, cooing after people stepping in and out, "Mm..mm, people play bye bye maya!"
Crispus wrinkles his nose.
Lionel says, "Baki, hush, now. It's not a game."
Alexei leans toward Anna and whispers something.
Alexei takes off some slender gold-rimmed oval spectacles.
Baki goes quiet.
Alexei puts on some slender gold-rimmed oval spectacles.
"hush, Baki, please." despite her tone, Anna's words are gentle.
Bianca leans toward Alexei and whispers something.
Anna leans toward Alexei and whispers something.
Alexei smirks at Bianca.
Bianca gazes up at the night sky.
Stepping forward, Alexei finally clears his throat, speaking softly that people further might not really hear. "I really do not know Maya, but I have heard stories of her, the good and the bad." He looks at each person in turn. "You sometimes know someone by how much an impact... or ripples they leave behind. And I do conclude, Miss Maya is not a good woman." He pauses a moment once more. "But she certainly is a great one."
Elrond nods to Alexei.
Lionel smiles at Alexei.
Sarah's eyes narrow slightly, attention flitting momentarily from Nora to Alexei before firmly returning to the former.
Speaking to Alexei, Elrond softly says, "Well put."
Pigeon smiles.
Alexei speaks at the corner of his mouth towards Bianca, "Trust me, I'll butter you up when I'll speak in your funeral."
Anna smiles at Alexei.
Voice soft but firm, Nora begins to speak. "I watched her more than I spoke to her. I've observed her in battle. With friends and those that were closer. And with those that were not." She pauses, looks up at the sky. "I often feel that the world can belong only to some, and she was one of them. She'll remind me that there is more, if I'm willing to take it. I can have the world, too, sometimes. I do not always have to simply belong to it. Thank you."
Alexei smiles at Nora.
Lionel nods.
Nora walks back to her place after that.
Suzy smiles at Nora.
Volinn inclines his head as Nora speaks, then looks up at her with a soft smile when she steps back.
Anna smiles at Nora.
Baki mumbles a soft slur to himself as he fails to get his intention across, staying where he is and looking sheepish, "Mm, people don't like. baki..baki like people play..play bye bye. Maya go happy, mm..."
Alexei reaches out and gently squeezes Baki's arm.
Lionel looks inquiringly at the crowd.
Elrond nods to Nora.
Sarah's smile is similar to Volinn's as she listens to Nora, and she dibs her head to her at the end.
Lionel asks, "Will there be anyone else?"
Pigeon follows Nora with her eyes as she moves away, thoughtful, smiling a little.
Neyah slowly rases up her hand at the prompt.
Lionel nods to Neyah.
?Hreidun? smiles at Nora.
Elrond turns his attention to Neyah.
Baki looks at the ground, eyes vacant. His action indicates some level of distress, as though recognizing he's done something he's not supposed to. He stays dead silent after that.
Pigeon reaches out to touch Baki's shoulder lightly, comfortingly.
Neyah slowly walks up towards the shrouded body, the sand crunching beneath her feet. Once in position, she leans forward to look down at the still form, "I'd like to apologise about the last time we ever interacted."
Lionel's flaming pine-knot torch flickers ominously a moment.
Your flaming pine-knot torch flickers ominously a moment.
You mutter under your breath.
You extinguish your pine-knot torch.
Lionel sets his torch aside.
Lionel drops a flaming pine-knot torch.
Neyah says, "I gave you that idea to try to resolve that issue at the fort peacefully. Thought we could try to convince them to not pry further into what best be considered a deathtrap. I'm really wishing I never gave you that idea."
A flaming pine-knot torch flickers ominously a moment.
You extinguish a pine-knot torch.
Baki drops a pine-knot torch.
Anna hesitantly reaches out, laying a comforting hand on Neyah's shoulder.
Suzy firmly plants her torch into the sand and steps back, glumly watching the guttering flame.
Suzy drops a flaming pine-knot torch.
Elrond softly brushes his fingertips against Neyah's shoulder.
You extinguish a pine-knot torch.
Sarah returns to her previous position, looking apologetic.
Lionel asks, "Yes, ah... if that will be all...?"
Neyah glances about to her side, slowly lowreing her gaze to stare down at the body, "Of course that ended badly. You were crushed trying to help people just got everyone severely hurt. And I'm starting to think it wasn't your time. You just had your heart and hope broken after that. I really, really should of kept my mouth shut, and we should of just left and let them die to those nethrim."
Lionel clears his throat and looks apologetic.
Neyah sighs.
Alexei nods to Neyah.
Speaking to Lionel, Crispus quietly mentions, "I've something to say afterward, as well, should it be alright. I won't be long."
Lionel nods to Crispus.
Neyah says, "Though, at the risk of making you either laugh, or rise up now and strangle me..."
Lionel smiles at Neyah.
A very short petite platinum-blond-haired adult woman with fair skin and gray eyes smiles at Neyah.
Bianca places her hand on neyah's sholder giving it a gental squeeze.
Baki gets near Neyah and reaches out to tap gently on her after everyone else without saying anything.
Crispus nods to Neyah.
You fidget with the black wool longcoat (open) you are wearing.
Neyah surprisingly winds up her right hand, planting a fist into the portion of the shroud where maya's face would be, though a lack of any impact sound suggests no actual contact. Shouting though, "You idiot! I swear whenever I find you whereever you ended up, I'm going to bother you with everything you missed out while beating you over the head for leaving us too soon!" Withdrawing her hand back and taking a breath, the woman calms down before turning back to the rest of the crowd, "Alright, i'm done."
Crispus closes his eyes for a moment.
Lionel nods.
Crispus exhales slowly at that, nodding once.
You nod slowly.
Crispus strides out before the gathered crowd, carefully placing a package astride the handcart. He gazes out into the darkness of sea and sky for a prolonged moment, then, turning toward the assembled crowd, his voice rings out clearly above the crashing waves.
Baki tapping right behind Neyah gets startled by the sudden shout and steps back to stare at the ground again.
One corner of Volinn's mouth twitches, then he turns to observe Crispus.
Crispus respectfully begins, "I will not act as though Maya and I were the closest of companions."
Florenza glances at Baki.
Crispus pauses momentarily, as if searching out the right words, then continues.
Crispus respectfully continues, "Far from it, in fact. More oft than not, we stood at odds. For one reason or another-- whether moral or trivial, we had a tendency to rub one another the wrong way."
Try as she might, Anna is unable to hold back a smile Neyah's shout, her hand upon the woman's shoulder squeezing gently.
Alexei gives Neyah a respectful nod.
Elrond nods to Neyah.
?Hreidun? nods to Neyah.
Elrond turns to listen to Crispus.
Crispus respectfully says, "That said, I believe this is so because we had an understanding, of sorts. A drive within us. Though differing in source, and in intention-- it drove us to similar lengths. And it brought us to blows, once upon a time. with all intention to strike one another down."
Neyah scurries back as Crispus steps forward, returning to stand near Elrond and Anna to listen at the next mourner.
Crispus pauses again, briefly glancing downward at his hands. He lifts his gaze back to the crowd, though, after sparing a moment to glance at the wrapped body. His expression, formerly placid, gives off the impression of weariness.
Sarah nods along with the cadence of Crispus's words, listening closely.
Crispus simply admits, "We're children of passion. Of ardent belief in the right, whatever that may be. She put much value in her craft-- her ability, her grit. And I saw it on full display more personally than any other, I think. In that moment, when our blades crossed, I believe we gained an understanding of each other that can't really be described with word alone. I'm not so sure what it meant, or what it made me think of her. But if nothing else, I respected her principle. The manner with which she did not flinch in the face of adversity. It is to be considered with care."
Elrond wraps his free arm around Neyah.
Crispus slowly continues, "We were not close, despite that. But despite our differences, our butting of heads. I wished the best for her, in the end. I hope that in her last moments, she found the peace she so desperately seemed to crave."
Elrond nods to Crispus.
Crispus simply finishes, "Rest well."
Lionel smiles.
Bianca agrees with Crispus.
Florenza nods.
Nora agrees with Crispus.
Suzy smiles faintly and nods her head, repeating the last line under her breath.
Lionel approaches the wagon, saying, "If there's no one else..."
Crispus nods to those gathered, angles a finger toward the package, and adds, "The package contains jars, and blank parchments. Should you have something you wished said to her that none other need hear-- write it. Put it in a jar. I will cast it out to the sea. The gods will shepard it to her."
Pigeon nods.
Lionel pauses.
Lionel nods to Crispus.
?Hreidun? nods to Crispus.
Bianca opens a thick parchment package.
Bianca removes a hinged glass jar (empty, open) from in a thick parchment package (open).
Crispus nods to Lionel.
Nora removes a hinged glass jar (empty, open) from in a thick parchment package (open).
Speaking to Crispus, Lionel says, "Thank you. A very good notion."
Crispus shrugs his hands. "I do what is right."
Elrond shruggs slightly.
Nora peers closely at a thick parchment package (open).
Lionel says, "Quite so."
Florenza opens a thick dove-gray leather back-pouch.
Elrond gazes in wonder at his surroundings.
Elrond gazes up at the night sky.
Lionel removes the black silk pall covering the cart to fully reveal the figure underneath, wrapped in a green flag with a golden fleur-de-lys within a gold border. He climbs into the bed of the cart and nods to Suzy, who helps him carry the corpse over to the boat, and they gently place it inside.
Bianca leans toward Crispus and whispers something.
Crispus transfers the following from some fine pallid wool trousers to a thick parchment package (open):
a blank parchment letter (x20)
(20 item(s) total)
Elrond turns back to watch Lionel.
Florenza closes a thick dove-gray leather back-pouch.
Bianca removes a blank parchment letter from in a thick parchment package (open).
Bianca opens a soft leather coin purse.
Nora blinks at Lionel.
Bianca puts a hinged glass jar (empty, open) in her soft leather coin purse (open).
Pigeon holds her horse steady against the movement of the cart.
Nora removes a blank parchment letter from in a thick parchment package (open).
Anna opens a fine ivory-white wool duffel bag.
Volinn's somber gaze follows Lionel and Suzy.
Anna closes a fine ivory-white wool duffel bag.
Anna looks at Bianca and shakes her head.
Lionel says, "Now, I must be very plain. If any of you choose not to look upon her face, be pleased to turn away."
Florenza opens a thick dove-gray leather back-pouch.
Nora opens a leather-backed squirrel wool sporran.
Suzy carefully aids in this, resting the corpse within the confines of the boat.
Florenza takes a stick of writing charcoal from her thick dove-gray leather back-pouch (open) and puts it into a thick parchment package (open).
Florenza closes a thick dove-gray leather back-pouch.
Sarah watches solemnly even after Lionel's warning.
Alexei looks away, breathing shallowly.
Volinn folds his arms over his chest, still watching.
?Hreidun? slowly turns to observe.
Alexei looks back, face resolute.
Elrond continues to gaze at Maya's body, offering a crisp military salute.
Seeing people writing and offering to the corpse, however Baki takes it, he runs up to Suzy and repeatedly taps her, holding something in hand. He offers it to Suzy, a creation, his own crude but durable creation.
Baki offers to give a knitted white wool scarf to Suzy.
Lionel folds down the flag covering the corpse like a counterpane to reveal that the body is wrapped tightly in a hammock of pure white canvas, sewn up to the neck. Maya's slightly-decayed face is exposed and stares vacantly up to the night sky.
Nora rubs her chin thoughtfully.
Speaking to Baki, Nora asks, "Will you draw something for Maya?"
Volinn stares down at the face with a blank, unreadable expression.
Slowly, tentatively, Anna raises her eyes up to maya's face, the woman visibly shaking. "rest well." her soft whisper is almost inaudible.
Suzy blinks up at Baki and just tosses the scarf halfhasardly around her neck.
Lionel kneels inside of the boat, and produces a heavy, curved sailmaker's needle threaded with waxed thread. He begins to slowly finish sewing the hammock closed.
Elrond glances down at the face with quiet sadness.
Suzy accepts Baki's offer and is now holding a knitted white wool scarf.
Baki shakes his head and repeated gestures to the scarf he offers in his hand toward Suzy.
You drop a pine-knot torch.
You drop a thick wooden torch.
Bianca writes on a blank parchment letter with a stick of writing charcoal.
You remove a blank parchment letter from in a thick parchment package (open).
Using a stick of writing charcoal, Bianca signs an inscribed parchment letter.
Bianca removes a hinged glass jar (empty, open) from her soft leather coin purse (open).
Nora is shifting her attention between the body and Baki, as she waits for his answer.
Bianca puts an inscribed parchment letter in her hinged glass jar (empty, open).
Baki gestures at the scarf he gave to Suzy, then at maya's corpse.
Speaking to Suzy, Anna quietly says, "Think he wants to give the scarf in offering."
Bianca closes a hinged glass jar.
Suzy nods.
Elrond agrees with Anna.
Bianca takes a number of deep breaths.
Bianca puts a hinged glass jar (closed) in a thick parchment package (open).
Suzy says, "We will prepare her, first."
Lionel completes the job, gently placing his hand atop the canvas, feeling, and makes one last stitch, through the nose of the corpse.
Baki slurs, "Baki make thing, mm, give maya! Baki play Maya, go happy!"."
Suzy looks into the corpse's eyes for a moment before they are sealed away, never to be seen again.
Elrond closes his eyes as the last stitch is completed.
Lionel rises to his feet and faces the crowd again.
Nora nods.
Crispus observes the process with placidity of expression, hands folded behind his back, head bowed respectfully. His posture is rigid and unmoving.
A flaming pine-knot torch has gone out.
Elrond opens his eyes and gazes at the boat.
Bianca blinks back a tear.
Lionel says, "Forasmuch as it hath pleased the Immortals to take out of this world our beloved sister Maya, we therefore commit her body to the deep, to be turned into corruption, looking for the resurrection of the body (when the sea shall give up her dead by holy Nereia's blessing) and into the Hereafter, through Great Undm, who shall change our vile body, that it may be like the glorious bodies of the Immortals, and who shall admit us unto the goodly fellowship of her Cerubim and Aengels, according to the mighty working whereby she is able to subdue all things to herself."
Baki rocks his body as he watches the preparation. Often times, he reaches out at the air in a tap he's fond of giving, then retracts, tapping his last goodbye on his shield instead.
Sarah waits with a blank letter lowered, gazing at the proceedings.
?Hreidun? remains still while watching and listening.
Speaking to Suzy, Lionel says, "If you you will be pleased to take the oars."
Lionel waits for Suzy to seat herself in the boat, shoves it off of the shore, and jumps in.
Pigeon turns to watch as the small boat moves out over the dark waters.
Elrond turns to follow the boat with his eyes.
Lionel and Suzy row out a considerable distance from the beach, though they are still visible.
Alexei watches the proceeding, the reflection of flames on his spectacles obscuring his expression.
Suzy carefully unfolds the scarf and wraps it around where the neck of the shrouded body is meant to be, quickly seasing the oars a moment later.
Suzy drops a knitted white wool scarf.
Crispus gazes up at the night sky.
Bianca flicks her eyes at the boat before turning to her horse: rest well maya.
Lionel stands in the boat, and, with Suzy's help, picks up the body and deposit it easily into the sea. It sinks immediately, certainly having been weighted.
Bianca climbs up onto the back of a lean bay courser with black points.
Baki waves goodbye to the boat, his shield hand lifting skyward, wordlessly rumbles.
Neyah raises up her right hand, waving at the boat as she observes the body's burial at sea.
Volinn looks out over the water, focused on the spot where the body was sunk.
Anna stays still, following the boat with her eyes, as she blinks rapidly.
Sarah focuses on the sinking body, free hand lifted in farewell.
Crispus prays:
May Nereia's voice give her rest
May Naia's Tears soothe our grief.
May her memory ever linger, as the salt in the sea
May Serafina's torch forever illuminate her legacy
And may Vodr's thunder trumpet her passage beyond.
Elrond raises his hand in a sad wave and whispers "rest well dear friend."
Florenza nods to Crispus.
Bianca hugs Anna.
As much of a play as he seems to express, at this point, Baki has shown to understand more than his actions prier suggest. For the first time, he lets his sadness transform to tears, crying like a child, waving at where the sunken corpse was a moment ago.
Suzy gazes into the depths where the body once was, the form now lost beneath the waves. With a small, thin sigh, she takes up the oars again, mechanically paddling back to the shore with them.
Lionel smiles at Suzy.
[Language:Unknown] ?Hreidun? murmurs (muffled by a mask), "[something you don't understand]"
Bianca taps Elrond on the shoulder.
Bianca heads south, riding a lean bay courser with black points.
Lionel steps out of the boat and offers Suzy a hand.
Lionel says, "Thank you, everyone."
Florenza nods.
Baki shouts, "Maya play with mama! Maya tell mama..Baki miss maya, miss mama, mm!"
Suzy smiles and takes the offered hand, following the older man out onto the sandy beach.
Florenza nods to Baki.
Elrond pulls Anna into a gentle embrace.
Lionel says, "I very much hope and think she would have been very happy. That she -is- very happy."
Neyah mutters, "Well, she's not on the lost lands anymore. I guess that's one way to be finally free of this place."
Neyah frowns.
Speaking to Caius, Crispus quietly retorts, "Thank you, sir. You did well in this. I can't help but concur."
Crispus said that to Lionel.
?Hreidun? lets out a breath and repeats her words, "May you rest well."
A very short petite platinum-blond-haired adult woman with fair skin and gray eyes eyes Neyah speculatively.
Lionel nods to Crispus.
Boat returned to shore, Sarah leans over her parchment and hastily sketches something upon it before folding it into a tight square.
You remove a hinged glass jar (empty, open) from in a thick parchment package (open).
Nora writes on a blank parchment letter with a stick of writing charcoal.
You put an inscribed parchment letter in your hinged glass jar (empty, open).
Nora puts an inscribed parchment letter in her hinged glass jar (empty, open).
You close a hinged glass jar.
Nora closes a hinged glass jar.
Nora puts a hinged glass jar (closed) in a thick parchment package (open).
You put a hinged glass jar (closed) in a thick parchment package (open).
?Hreidun? removes a blank parchment letter from in a thick parchment package (open).
Volinn unfolds his arms and walks over to Lionel, patting his shoulder companionably.
?Hreidun? removes a hinged glass jar (empty, open) from in a thick parchment package (open).
Speaking to Lionel, Volinn says, "You did good."
Baki is somehow the only one to still remain right at the sea without walking back to the group after the corpse was sunk.
Crispus repeats, "Should you have a message you wish to pass along-- I'll deposit it in the depths of the cove. The gods linger there. They will be carried wherever she is."
With obvious effort, Anna climbs up onto the back of a chestnut horse.
Lionel says, "Thank you. So did you. So did everyone."
You agreeably say, "You did very well."
With obvious effort, Elrond climbs up onto the back of a chestnut horse.
Anna nods in agreement.
Nora glances at Volinn.
Speaking to Lionel, Anna quietly says, "Indeed."
Pigeon turns away from the ocean with a sigh.
?Hreidun? writes on a blank parchment letter with a stick of writing charcoal.
?Hreidun? puts an inscribed parchment letter in her hinged glass jar (empty, open).
?Hreidun? closes a hinged glass jar.
Elrond dismounts from a chestnut horse.
?Hreidun? puts a hinged glass jar (closed) in a thick parchment package (open).
Lionel says, "Now, I must attend to a private matter. Thank you all again."
Elrond walks over to ?Hreidun? and gives her a quick hug.
Sarah attempts to meet Pigeon's eye and smiles slightly.
Elrond hugs ?Hreidun?.
Crispus nods to Lionel.
Nora glances at Florenza.
Anna quietly asks, "I will be returning to mistral, if the 3 of you want to come along?"
Elrond returns to his horse.
With obvious effort, Elrond climbs up onto the back of a chestnut horse.
Florenza glances at Nora.
Neyah's tattoos flare with a brief pale luminescence.
A very short petite platinum-blond-haired adult woman with fair skin and gray eyes leaves ?Hreidun?'s group.
Lionel says to the original cortege, "I'll return to town very shortly."
Baki finally breaks off from the sea and runs back to the group, still sobbing with unrestrained emotion.
Volinn nods to Lionel.
You nod to Lionel.
?Hreidun? returns the quick hug, moving towards her horse.
?Hreidun? nods to Lionel.
Lionel bows at the waist.
Crispus taps Baki on the shoulder.
?Hreidun? gazes up at the night sky.
Crispus nods to Baki.
Speaking to Florenza, Nora asks, "Could I have a hug?"
Florenza hugs Nora.
Lionel smiles at Nora.
Nora hugs Florenza.
Anna hugs ?Hreidun?.
Lionel smiles at Florenza.
Lionel heads south.
Last edited by Frisbee on Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Navi

Re: A List a Long Time in Coming.

Post by Navi »

I planned to be in attendance last night. Apologies for not following through. Thank you for posting the log though. RIP Maya. I wish I had something to say about it all, but it seems like what can be said, has been already. However, here's to more adventures with Gorth.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again