Customizable Character Descriptions

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Xariff

Customizable Character Descriptions

Post by Xariff »

I was thinking about character room descriptions. You know the ones that say you are an average-height woman with long brown hair, pale skin and hazel eyes. That one.

I love the fact that we can disguise our real name until introduced but they do feel a bit long at times. They also have a few oddities when it comes to what you are wearing and what can be seen. Sometimes it hides stuff, other times it does not. I also realize that the length of the description has both a lore and mechanical purpose, so I have come up with a few ideas that will short that description but still allow it to remain unique to each person.

What to add:
Allow a person to select a single garment on their person that stands out. Such as if Fred is wearing a hat with two long feathers he can select that item as his main feature and his description will change from, "a short-height man with short red hair and blue eyes" to "a short-height man with short red hair and blue eyes, wearing a hat with two long feathers" This could apply to armors or hats or shoes or anything they feel stands out on their character as long as they keep wearing it.

What to remove:
Now that we can add something unique to the description, we can now remove things without worrying about having too many "Average-height Man"s running around with nothing unique about them. (Some of these work already, others do not)
- Allow skin to be hidden if no skin can be seen.
- Allow hair to be hidden if under a headhider or long hair pulled under it.
- Allow gender to be hidden if they are wearing enough clothing to hide it and they opt in for it. This is after the initial character creation option. (changes to 'person')
- Allow eyes to be hidden if behind a mask or helm.
- Or anything else logical based on what is worn.

This idea may need some tweaking but the basic premise is to allow players to customize their description in fun ways while still keeping things from getting out of hand.
Navi

Re: Customizable Character Descriptions

Post by Navi »

I like some of the ideas here, at least for the potential of disguises, but those are already pretty well in hand I feel like. In general, this just seems like a lot of work when all I'm going to do anyway is remember average height brown eyed black haired man wearing a "Go Shadgard" T-Shirt as fred
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Xariff

Post by Xariff »

Another idea for the "Add to" section.

A way to remember peoples faces and add a nickname. So if you see someone and recognize their face you will see the same nickname again. Could be anything you choose and you will still see the normal description when you look at them.

Things like:
"Guy from the bar" or "The gal who made my bow" or "Guy I saw on the road" etc etc.
Navi

Post by Navi »

It sounds as if you haven't learned about the remember command. You can do remember man as Frank, or remember man as that_one_guy_from_the_bar
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

This sounds very cool, on the surface, as mentioned previously. Admittedly I had very similar thoughts in the beginning, because I was finding a lot of those descriptions overwhelming. However, the name/remember command can be used at any point to name any PC/NPC, even when you don't know their true name, so, I'd also agree that it might be quite a load of work which would help with very little. Some characters tend to remember people by their ESP aura, if their coloured artifact is visible. Alternatively, you can just name them something which you think left an impression on your character about them, and that does include where you met them, as well as a signature piece of clothing that they never part with.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.