Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Built on a lake, shrouded in unnatural fog, and under the law and protection of the mysterious Mistveil Keep. Was once the seat of the now-dissolved Mistveil Dominion.
Serity

Re: Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Post by Serity »

Feedback on the lumber mill mobs as a d220 - it feels frustrating to fight here but it's less that the mobs are 'too hard' and more that... well:
  • Something feels jank with the ranged mobs and their stealth. The messages always say "$mobname looses an arrow at you with $hisher shortbow!" (but with names) despite being hidden, rather than "An arrow flies from nearby" or whatever the usual message is (and this happens even when I don't trace the trajectory). Also, when they hide, and I notice them hide, I still can't target them and they're not visible in the room... and then they try to hide again and again, because they were 'spotted', but I can't hit them until I search despite seeing what they're doing... and of course, searching gets you shot with a high round-time. I don't recall wardens being this... odd.
  • In my experience, the melee mobs do not move no matter how long you wait. On reboot, they tend to spawn out in the open area, but after they die, they usually respawn inside the portals, so you'll end up having to fight two at once eventually after they both respawn in the same room, unless you just leave one outside and ignore it, killing the single respawning mob over and over. They also have staggering blow which makes the 2v1 fights "ugh" due to stagger chains even if they're attempted, but (a) that's just good tactics on their part and (b) you can't wait for them to separate here, the bigger problem, unlike equivalent foes in Dusklamp.
  • The zone is missing the usual heating source, but I'm not sure if that's intentional?
Probably a far more reasonable zone with two or more people in a group, but for solo play, as things stand, I would rather walk across the map to the bog bodies or hit up Dusklamp.

Mechanics aside, it's thematically a wonderful zone and I love all the emits and lore around there. I haven't fought the (very cool) boss mob on reasonable terms yet (it's trivial for my main) so no comments there.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Re: respawn in Mistral Lake, I'm working on an update to respawning as a first step in the death overhaul plans and making the respawn aspect a tad more lore-friendly than just popping up in one's favorite town. (Means will be provided to quickly and easily get to one's registered town, it just won't be immediately respawning right there.)

Re: lumber mill. Without a heat source to keep the outdoors not-cold, certain types of mobs will typically huddle indoors when it's cold outside. I didn't make the area so not sure if it's deliberate, but a good point to bring up just in case.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Fellborn

Post by Fellborn »

Knew I was forgetting something, the lack of mushrooms has been pointed out and forgot to fix it.

Added, and tweaked the hunters a little.
Serity

Post by Serity »

Reporting back after lumber camp update: much less jank (although still quite difficult), thank you for the quick fix! The zone temperature should probably get adjusted as to the usual as well (it's still cold there even with the new heating sources) but they're indeed roaming around now and not getting stuck (yet).

edit after some more fighting: It's rather good for solo play now, I think, as long as you can handle the mobs one at a time.

I will note that the choice of shortbow (4s RT) makes 'properly timing' attacks rather impossible even without aiming - you're going to end up in 1.1-2+ second roundtime after your first timed attack, which lets their next attack hit you at reduced defense rerolls, and then of course your roundtime is finished even later, so you have to skip every other turn. This is more an issue with melee fighting against shortbows in general, but for that reason, I personally will probably be sticking to fighting the melee combatants when I am soloing. A tweak might be to make them aim for the neck (lower accuracy) or chest to raise their RT up to 5, but it may simply be that the mobs are more appropriate for other classes than myself.
Fellborn

Post by Fellborn »

Having the mounds/mushrooms in a zone won't automatically change a room to warm/chilly/etc, which is based on the areas climate/weather settings.

I've changed the mob weapons, as with it being a low-level zone it isn't intended to be that difficult even if the hunters are supposed to introduce stealth mobs.
Maina

Post by Maina »

For characters who focus on lockpicking/artifice and not combat, Mistral Lake's zones have far fewer mobs and no-take chests to practice on. Something like like 2-4 mobs per zone, vastly dwarfed by Shadgard's options in Ravenwood and Tarueka.

You simply can't level up via artifice on the Mistral Lake side like you can on the Shadgard side right now.

Fellborn asked about training gaps on Discord a while back. I think the Mistral side could really use a sprawling zone on the level of Ravenwood/Tarueka. For non-combatant adventurer types, primarily, but they're also helpful for warriors to get a lot of variety in one place.

Really just need a place with a lot of pickpocket targets.

Just something of a wishlist item for the future!
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

To echo Maina, it seems like the surrounding area is great for higher level warriors and groups, with Valeria/Canim/new Bandits all nearby. Once people start spawning in Mistral Lake however and are learning the game from the get-go instead of moving up there, some relatively close and easier sprawling zones would be nice. We've two currently but big gaps and past 100ish it is also pretty much warrior-focused/ high level.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Could we get a trash barrel in the communal kitchen, please?
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: There are now some animals to hunt in the Central Mistveil Dominion area.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

First long-ish stay in Mistral Lake for me, and there's a tiny thing I noticed.

Could we please have the physical versions of the bunk beds mentioned in the room description for the Stormhold dormitory? I feel it'd add a bit of flavour without including any paid inn room bonuses, similarly to how the bunk room is in Shadgard's respective guild chapter.

Cheers!
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.