Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Built on a lake, shrouded in unnatural fog, and under the law and protection of the mysterious Mistveil Keep. Was once the seat of the now-dissolved Mistveil Dominion.
Fellborn

Re: Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Post by Fellborn »

The old Mistral Lake graveyard has opened up again near town, featuring low level Nethrim.

A new reclusive zone for fishing, staying out of the rain, and for certain classes to poke their noses in spots where they're not wanted, has also opened in the last week or so.

I would very much like to do a more sprawling zone at some point, which features a few brackets like the Ravenwood Graveyard but unfortunately it's also a lot of work. Don't expect anything like that soon, as much as I'd like to see it in.
jerc

Post by jerc »

Is there a rough timeline for the hard faction split/lockout?

I've noticed that Mistral feels significantly more "dead" than Shadgard, to the point that if I want to see other players, I go to Dustville despite being a Mistral citizen. I suspect that I'm not the only one who does this, leading to Mistral's "deadness" being something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. It also makes it hard to gauge its actual population if everyone who technically calls it home still congregates in Shadgard.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I've noticed a lot of registered Mistral Lake citizens frequenting Shadgard as well, and I think you're right - Mistral feels less populated, so Mistral citizens go to Shadgard to be around more people, making Mistral even less populated. The town gates being closed to opposite faction will hopefully help with this. As for a timeline, I don't have any dates set. Just a "soon" (tm). We do have some little events planned to give a reason for the towns being pickier about who they let through their gates, which we'd prefer to make the time for instead of just doing it and making it a difficult thing to explain IC why suddenly people aren't allowed into the other town anymore.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

I agree that Mistral feels a bit too quiet. There's just such a struggle at the moment with holidays. I was hoping a couple lines I've tossed into the water to drag together a sense of community.

You can feel the significant quiet when you need a physicker.
"The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't." — Christopher Paolini
Fellborn

Post by Fellborn »

Tessa wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:30 am I agree that Mistral feels a bit too quiet. There's just such a struggle at the moment with holidays. I was hoping a couple lines I've tossed into the water to drag together a sense of community.
Is a great way to go about things.

While there is nothing wrong with feeling the lure of other locations, in general it is good to remember if you're trying to make headways in certain places then being active and engaging is the sort of thing that gets noticed positively even if players don't always see a tangible effect of that.
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

Mistral Lake has a clothing shop finally!

I'll work on adding the music shop soon (tm)
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I really enjoy the new shops and tongue-in-cheek references at Mistral Lake. The town's global reach is also a great feature. However, there are a few drawbacks to the town as well.

One issue is the lack of power, which makes it difficult for players to recharge their pneumatic weapons. It would be helpful if there was a place in town to do this, or perhaps some sort of steam powered location of contest. I know there is no intention to ever implement full scale steam operations in Mistral, but some sort of local advancement to work with Grummer imports via magic circle or other integration would be nice.

As a blacksmith, new characters would find it difficult to get started without having first invested the riln into a handcart and mule. It would be helpful if there was a way to transport materials from the mine to the workyard, such as a minecart tunnel that runs directly to the workyard. It would also be nice if there were NPCs available for pay in order to assist with ore crushing and labor, as I understand there is no intent to ever introduce steam power to the town.

The ruins in Mistral are very thematic and well-placed, and the local hunting grounds and skinning resources are a great addition. It would be helpful if non-resident players could purchase one-day passes at the hall to trade, as there is currently no animosity between Mistral and the other towns. I would also expect there to be some level of external commerce flowing into Mistral. Perhaps you could limit the number of passes available for purchase per day. It would also be helpful if there was a new character guide for Mistral that covered local tasks and other information for new players, like there is at the Hunter's Lodge.

It is unclear to me where the barrack/lodge/other equivalent training areas are in Mistral.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Dennis wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:34 am It is unclear to me where the barrack/lodge/other equivalent training areas are in Mistral.
Nice to see you back.

The bowyer has a lot of the hunter stuff, and the guardhouse by the bridge has the barrack stuff.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Rias wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:05 pm
Kalista wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:57 pm For those who want farms moved over, is there anyone in particular handling that? is it something we should email about? or will an in game communication work. I'm not sure how complicated moving an entire farm would be.
We're still figuring that out! What we'll probably do is have an NPC advertise a service to cart your animals over for you, and pay them to essentially "rebuild" your farm structures over in Mistral. This is a sort of hand-wavy way to let people move their entire farm over since Shadgard has been the only option thus far, and we don't want to make people have to re-build everything from scratch. We can ICly sell it as the Dominion offering a discounted move-in package service to get more people to join them.

We'll make an announcement when the service is ready to be utilized.
Just for anyone looking in post, you can now use this service at the stockade in Mistral with the APPLY command. It wasn't declared anywhere, so it was easy to miss. Thanks for this great service!
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

I forgot to update this yesterday, but Mistral Lake now has a music shop!
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"