Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Built on a lake, shrouded in unnatural fog, and under the law and protection of the mysterious Mistveil Keep. Was once the seat of the now-dissolved Mistveil Dominion.
artus

Re: Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Post by artus »

I got this one from, and as, personally, a former player who had seen old mistral. While I have no problem with it, I can't deny it sparks question: there's still that same old rook building in the town exactly where the old one was and we can't access it. I know Rias said something a while back about rooks being in the game bt unplayable, bt the building is there and there's nothing clear about it. For those new to the game and the new lore, this may be fine. But for those who came from the old more, some may be confused (with slight pang of outrage) seeing that building there.
nobody

Post by nobody »

artus wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:12 am But for those who came from the old more, some may be confused (with slight pang of outrage) seeing that building there.
Already been addressed:
Rias wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:19 amThere have been a few comments about the Rook Parlour building - the lobby will be open soon, though the rest will remain Members Only, and simply being a sorcerer or a Warlock won't be an instant in. We're still deciding how to handle Rook Parlour as an organization regarding its relevance to player characters and how accessible it'll be.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Twilight Eye office will be added shortly!

Lack of bathhouse was an oversight; I like the idea of a hoity-toity version one. We'll throw in soaps somewhere as well.

Citizen Services could probably use a sanctioned room for community-called meetings, and the town could do with a public place for general activities/events organized by the community. We'll get on that.
artus wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:12 am But for those who came from the old more, some may be confused (with slight pang of outrage) seeing that building there.
Mr. Nobody already quoted my previous comments on the Parlour building, but Artus, could you share a little more regarding this pang of outrage? I'd like to know why it's causing that kind of feeling.

To that note, I'd like to say that in general, this thread and the BBS are for feedback both positive and negative. If anyone has any complaints or criticisms they can be voiced here - we can't address issues that are bothering someone if we never hear about them, so I'd much prefer people post about it rather than stay quietly bothered and potentially be driven away from the game by it.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

... Possibly not the best timing for my post, but would like to say a belated thank you for all this new content to pore over (yes it's all brand new to me!) It's brought a lot of smiles to my face over the past couple of days (and some curses aimed at Mistral Lake's pernicious canim neighbours). I especially love the way the new beginner combat areas have been put together; the attention to detail and the storytelling is wonderful. Plus a bunch of the things already mentioned (a certain lockpicking area is top of the list, followed closely by the name of the chandler). The world feels rounder; though I was having a grand old time regardless!

P. S. It is a major ambition of mine to sneak some contraband ducks/muskrats past the guards, at some point, before the town is off limits.
Last edited by tulpa on Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
artus

Post by artus »

@Rias: the outrage isn't mine, but from what I gathered, it went along the line of why do you even have it there if you're not gonna make them playable? It's painful to see. To me personally, I don't feel a thing. To the person, I can't really say. May be it reminds him of the old days, I don't know really. Or may be it just doesn't make sense to him that you released the area with so many things closed off and the map, by how it looks, is mostly a copy pasted version of old Mistral, which, again, doesn't bother me personally.
That's all I know regarding the outrage. It's not anything serious tbh. I'm not sure what the problem really is.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Artus, if you can convince this person to share their thoughts directly, I think that would be ideal. I don't want to assume what they're thinking or act on potentially mistaken impressions, and I don't want you to be stuck as the middleman.

I'm glad people like the locksmithing spot! It took a while to finally decide on what we'd use as the Mistral equivalent of Shadgard's picker warehouse.

The combat zones were made by GMs who love to have a zone tell a story for those interested in looking at things closely enough. They did an awesome job!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

Rias: I did, but he refused to even learn to use bbs, let alone posting anything. I'll be sure to pass this along though. Thank you for that. You're awesome.
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

Rias wrote:
I'd like to know why it's causing that kind of feeling.

To that note, I'd like to say that in general, this thread and the BBS are for feedback both positive and negative. If anyone has any complaints or criticisms they can be voiced here - we can't address issues that are bothering someone if we never hear about them, so I'd much prefer people post about it rather than stay quietly bothered and potentially be driven away from the game by it.

My response:
This is what sets COGG apart, makes it feel like more than just a game. This level of approachability, concern for what players think and feel. I can't express how much it means for me to read this.

I was not the one outraged--I actually spent time trying to help the one who was. I can tell you that, for me, the nostalgia hit really hard, but not out of outrage, out of missing what was. That is the tone of the rest of this post. If you don't really care about the dreamy, nostalgic stuff, feel free to pass this one by.

It made me miss CLOK 2012-2014, pre-Dominion. I don't like the Dominion, never have, never will. Sorcery and undead things have and will always wig me out more than a little. Personal opinion, not here to start a debate.

My point is, I miss my char living in the houseboat back in the day. I miss the guards not being all pale and spooky. I miss thinking of Mistral as a calm, peaceful place to live, because it was built over the water.

When I started learning what the intent was for that area, it kinda killed it for me. I'll just hold onto my dreams of what-if in true INFP fashion. (My personality type.)

It's hard when you miss a game, when it was more than just a game, but a place of true nostalgia and connection for a time. It's hard when you wish you could go back, but you can't. It's hard when seeing a place makes you wish for the other game, and you know you'll never have it again.

I'm not here to dampen anyone else's joy. I understand that many of you love it, want the darker side of things, want the conflict, the CVC, the Dominion. I get that, and I'm not here to take it away or diminish that excitement for those of you who feel it strongly.

But when Rias said this place is for both positive and negative, I wanted to share some of both. It matters that old things not be forgotten. It matters that you see something familiar and get painfully nostalgic for a misconceived perspective you thought was, but was not.

Thanks for having this place open for all of us, even those of us who think outside the box.

Edit:
I'll come back through here later to talk about the new things, and how fun it was going there in the middle of the night, all alone, because I didn't know when others were going. How I felt when I thought for sure I'd get lost on those roads, with all those unsigned intersections! How I went through the entirety of Mistral, wondering why it wasn't described, only to discover earlier today that I had option 2 (dealing with descriptions) off. Whoops!
Kalista

Post by Kalista »

For those who want farms moved over, is there anyone in particular handling that? is it something we should email about? or will an in game communication work. I'm not sure how complicated moving an entire farm would be.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Kalista wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:57 pm For those who want farms moved over, is there anyone in particular handling that? is it something we should email about? or will an in game communication work. I'm not sure how complicated moving an entire farm would be.
We're still figuring that out! What we'll probably do is have an NPC advertise a service to cart your animals over for you, and pay them to essentially "rebuild" your farm structures over in Mistral. This is a sort of hand-wavy way to let people move their entire farm over since Shadgard has been the only option thus far, and we don't want to make people have to re-build everything from scratch. We can ICly sell it as the Dominion offering a discounted move-in package service to get more people to join them.

We'll make an announcement when the service is ready to be utilized.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO