Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Built on a lake, shrouded in unnatural fog, and under the law and protection of the mysterious Mistveil Keep. Was once the seat of the now-dissolved Mistveil Dominion.
Rias
DEV

Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Post by Rias »

Rumors have been circulating about an announcement that the Dominion is welcoming Lost Landers seeking a life of greater safety and stability, and Mistral Lake is now officially open! The passes leading to it are no longer blocked, so head on over and take a look around.

The new wilderness zones are still rather bare, so there's nothing of substance to be found off the roads just yet. I'm just now realizing I didn't populate it with flora and fauna yet, either, so I'll get to that next! But I decided it was better to get Mistral itself released rather than continue delaying, so that people eager to go Team Dominion can finally get out of Shadgard and get started with their Dominion support and RP, even if the areas are going to need some more content and polish. But the town is there, skill training is available in various spots around town, there's an Adventurer Guild spot (since they don't have an independent guild area like Warrior and Scholar do), and there are even a few low-level combat areas near the town itself for new or low-skill characters interested in combat and needing someplace to practice. Farms are available, though can't be rented if one already has a Shadgard farm - any transfers of animals will currently have to be handled case-by-case, and we're still deciding how to get that started.

Everyone is welcome at the moment, no exclusivity yet, so go check it out! And please report any bugs or essential main-town facilities that are missing. I'm sure some things were overlooked.

I'm excited for pro-Dominion players to finally have their opportunities, and I hope people like the area in its "Phase 1" release!

Future plans include:
- Requiring licenses for any occult workings within town
- A fancier high-class inn
- Official citizenship registration with various perks
- A social status system with various perks and titles
- Other stuff as ideas strike us that will help the Dominion feel properly orderly and organized and high-class

P.S. Some of the town doesn't feel so "fancy" or "high-class." Some areas of town are just naturally not going to be as nice (the poors and lower classes have to live somewhere), but it's also the fact that the Dominion is still quite young. They haven't had the time to become their ideal vision yet. They're still working on that, and the hope is to get player characters involved in helping the Dominion work toward their lofty goals!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Delphine

Re: Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Post by Delphine »

I'm screaming (in a good way) and totally not sliding out of bed to go check this out because OMG MISTRAL THANK YOU.

Edit: Now that I've stopped screaming - I love it and it's perfect. Thank you again for all the hard work that went into this!
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

If we're intending to move over in earnest, should we be organizing our own ways to ferry our vaults up to Mistral Lake, or do you intend to add a way to more easily transfer between vaults in the future?

Mistral Lake is wonderful, by the by. Getting to see the logo of a certain sorcerous organization for the first time was a real treat as well.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Temporary visitor, here, but I'm in love with the Shandy Gaff. Brings back memories. Thank you. :)

Congratulations to everyone on their hard work.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

Thumbs up.
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

Visiting Mistral Lake has been an experience inducing both delight at what is new and nostalgia at what I remember from days long gone. I give my sincerest thanks to all who worked to bring this to us. I apologize for my comfort here being so often dependent on finding familiar things from the past, but I am truly thankful for something that has made the Lost Lands feel to me more complete, and like home once again. I eagerly look forward to where things will go from here and the unfolding of events as the people of Shadgard and Mistral Lake find occasion to showcase and debate their differences.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

It's neat to see the city again after all these years. Thank you to Rias and the staff for all your hard work! I'm looking forward to whatever comes next.
darkangel

Post by darkangel »

finally! hearing about mistral opening woke me way faster than coffee. though, can you explain the transport of farms on case by case, please?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Glad people are enjoying it, and thanks for all the thorough bug reports! I also forgot to mention that mail service between Shadgard and Mistral Lake will be possible, but will be more expensive and have a time delay. That didn't quite get finished yesterday and I was too excited to get Mistral Lake out there to wait on it.
Ephemeralis wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:29 am If we're intending to move over in earnest, should we be organizing our own ways to ferry our vaults up to Mistral Lake, or do you intend to add a way to more easily transfer between vaults in the future?
There's no transfer service or anything, so people will have to cart their stuff over themselves. Watch out for bandits!
darkangel wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:36 am can you explain the transport of farms on case by case, please?
Just that there's no automated way to do so. We're trying to figure out how to best approach this, and at least for the time being it'll be initiated by GMs for individual farmers on a case by case basis to be handled manually.

There have been a few comments about the Rook Parlour building - the lobby will be open soon, though the rest will remain Members Only, and simply being a sorcerer or a Warlock won't be an instant in. We're still deciding how to handle Rook Parlour as an organization regarding its relevance to player characters and how accessible it'll be.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

So I've scampered around through Mistral Lake a few times now, trying to go over things with a fine tooth comb. I have probably missed some stuff because it's difficult to read when I'm squeeing this loudly, but here's some of my general feedback and some missing amenities I noticed:

General Feedback:
  • You're a troll and I love you for it. (Referring to the YOU-KNOW-WHATS right outside the YOU-KNOW-WHERE.)
  • I love the name of the inn. It's perfect. Also. THE FOOD THERE. There was one item in particular that had me chortling.
  • I love the general vibe of it.
  • THE LOCKSMITHING PLACE.
  • The stores are amazing.
  • THE BAKERY.
Missing Amenities:
  • I noticed a lack of a Twilight Eye office. I didn't know if this was intentional or not.
  • I also noticed a lack of a public bathhouse. I have assumed this was intentional for reasons. And there's a perfectly usable public water pump and wash basins in the inn rooms. However, I love the idea of there being like a "spa" on the nicer side of town that requires a license to use/membership fee that's pretty stupidly expensive to help further define the class divide in Mistral. Like the upper class get to use the fancy pants spa. And the common folk get a water pump. It would be great.
  • Sort of piggybacking off of the above point, I didn't notice a place to buy soap? Could be added to the general store, perhaps, given the lack of a bathhouse.
  • I noticed a lack of an "official" event space. For example, Shadgard has the "party room" in the Hearth and Home and the "party pavilion." They also have the meeting room in the Town Hall. I think that rickety church would be a perfect place to hold community meetings or other such things, but maybe a more official uh... "party room" in the inn or... somewhere... could be nice. Totally not necessary, though. Party in the decrepit church!
I'm sure there are some things I missed, but I've just been enjoying frolicking through the fog too much to really notice much else.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."