Not So Fast! Sheathe Your Blade Like a Human!

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Gorth

Not So Fast! Sheathe Your Blade Like a Human!

Post by Gorth »

Recent Discord discussions brought up the topic of making drawing and sheatheing weapons to produce roundtime. The reasoning is because sometimes you have people like me who carry several weapons for different situations, and I switch through them rapidly. To be fair, I do most of it by hand, but still, I can understand why it's silly, and of course, roundtime offers more opportunities to both slow down combat, and make it less one sided to the person who wins the initial scramble. Please place your thoughts below, but we think that perhaps larger weapons should take longer, smaller weapons like daggers taking affectively none or none at all. Obviously drawing a warmaul in four or five seconds is silly, but that's the kind of weapon you probably shouldn't be flash switching too anyway.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Re: Not So Fast! Sheathe Your Blade Like a Human!

Post by Rias »

I do agree it's a little odd that someone can swap between multiple gear loadouts instantaneously mid-combat. Maybe the RT only occurs when one is under attack? A chance to fumble the attempt might work as well - can't exactly slap that rapier into its sheath when you're currently fending off an attack with it.

The idea of a quickdraw for small weapons is also pretty cool. That could be a fun ability for those sneaky small blade users and gunslinging pistoleers. We could potentially give it a cooldown so it's not just an unlimited hot-swap.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Navi

Post by Navi »

A quickstrike like ability to draw and strike with reduced round time and damage using the artifice skill sounds wicked neat for rogues.
I'd say nightblades, but they don't do anything half way.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Inventory Juggling came up on Discord again, and I wanted to share my post from it here!
There should just be RT for getting/storing things when you're in combat (maybe some kind of unseen thing that lasts for X to Y <semi randomized, with Melee or Ranged decreasing it down from Y to X> that adds like 3 to 5 RT when you start to do weird inventory management like this), and then have Official Weapon Containers like sheathes, bandoliers, haft-frogs, etc., drop that RT down to like 1 second so that it's much more manageable to change weapons around but still isn't instantaneous.
This came up for pistols, specifically. But I think it would make sense for all weapons personally, scaling up for bigger weapons, and down (to a certain degree) for smaller weapons. Plus we could have peace ties/security sheathes to prevent thievery of steal-able weapons, that just add an additional base 7 to 10 RT to the weapon draw time so people can have "peaceful" events that are out in the middle of nowhere, without requiring everyone disarm themselves.

I think that the thing that should trigger this unseen "debuff" would be both attacking someone or being attacked. So, if you shoot someone and go to get a new gun, it might take 10 seconds for a very green (100 ranged) person to get their next gun out of a bag, but for Pistol Pete with 700 ranged that might drop down to 4 seconds.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

The more I play with ranged combat the more tempted I am to do this even with how cheesy it feels. Right now I'm firing with a crossbow and then grabbing my pistol for a quick second shot, then retreating to load both and repeat. If it were limited to smaller weapons in sheaths (holsters for pistols) and maybe some kind of quickdraw ability with a cooldown period, that would feel better than it is right now where I could technically stow 20 loaded pistols and just fire off 20 shots in as many seconds with hardly any defense risk because they fire in one second. I'm not doing that, because it feels wrong. But knowing that I could if I wanted to is a temptation that I don't need and probably shouldn't be left up to the discretion of players.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."