Painted Pride

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Gorth

Painted Pride

Post by Gorth »

Hello!

I was commanded by one Fridly to post this topic, and so it shall be done! In the name of his greatness, oh intelligent and edjicated one!

Anyway, what if we could go by a good ol' bucket o' paint and paint our structures? maybe just restrict it to basic colors (red, blue, green, vibrant-eye-destroying-pink, et cetera) to minimize hoarding and item bloat.

It could be a long, many stepped process, much reminiscent of digging a well. Thus, it could be a group activity. And thus, a group activity, if people weren't lonely. It could be neat to paint crates and stuff before selling as well, but I'm not sure how much is too much.

A vibrant-eye-destroying-pink painted large animal shed.
A large animal shed painted red.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Firerose

Re: Painted Pride

Post by Firerose »

Hello!
How would this help with database bloat?
Also, definitely color first--the second way is passive voice, and I don't kow, it just doesn't read the same. :)

I love this, except for the pink. Please, no. How about earthy colors? Browns, darker/more subdued oranges or other colors, nothing that'll kill your eyes to look at them. Or maybe a mix of both.
I'm thinking making the paint shouldn't be an overlong process, and I'm currently mixed on how long painting a large structure or furniture piece should really take. Trees take too long, but wells are decent effort, so maybe closer to your suggestion. But smaller construction projects I'd think wouldn't take that long.
Anyway. I love this suggestion very, very much.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Firerose wrote: Hello!
Hi!
How would this help with database bloat?
No no. My point was that if paint were made a collectable item alongside dye, it would just be a second dye that people would bloat with. Limiting colors to standard minimums would help, however.
Also, definitely color first--the second way is passive voice, and I don't kow, it just doesn't read the same. :)
Yeah, fair. English is fun and I'm better at it when I'm not half asleep.
I love this, except for the pink. Please, no. How about earthy colors? Browns, darker/more subdued oranges or other colors, nothing that'll kill your eyes to look at them. Or maybe a mix of both.
The pink was a joke, of course.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Navi

Post by Navi »

I'm a fan of this idea. I don't really want to see super colorful farms personally, so keeping it to colors like red, orange, and brown would probably be a good idea. Colorful paints are suppose to be pretty rare and it takes a lot of paint to coat something. Why waste that precious blue paint on your barn? To add to the suggestion, have it apply modifiers, so freshly painted red animal shed versus a flaking red animal shed as time goes on. Riln sinks anybody?

Also, shame on you for not naming the thread I want it Painted Black.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
notgreg

Post by notgreg »

This is such an excellent idea. Maybe you make some sort of base-paint item and then mix it with dye just before application, that way people are still only hoarding dyes instead of hoarding both dyes & paints.

I don't see any special reason to restrict what colors people can paint their farm, and the player-set prices on dyes will do that sort of naturally anyway - if you walk into someone's farm and every structure is painted pink with orange stripes, go ahead and react to that appropriately. That person is tacky and that's a valid character choice.