Crowdsource Request: Beginner Start Info for Wiki

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

Crowdsource Request: Beginner Start Info for Wiki

Post by Teri »

During the recent voice chat someone asked if it would be possible to add a 'how to start' section to the wiki for beginners. We have the tips and advice for new players thread, so I'd like to ask what people would like to see or suggest for a condensed wiki entry when first starting the game. Some ideas were discussed in voice chat, but I only wrote myself a note to make this bbs post asking.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Gorth

Re: Crowdsource Request: Beginner Start Info for Wiki

Post by Gorth »

It might be good to mention the current different ways of making riln, as it seems people often struggle with that early on. Perhaps mentioning all of the locations to get tasks as a part of that.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Navi

Post by Navi »

This is a pretty daunting task, but hopefully this is helpful. Feel free to edit or adjust information as needed.

This isn’t your normal Getting Started Guide. It’s more or less a preparation speech. When you first enter COGG it seems like a typical game. You create a character, you log in, you level up, you get riln and you buy things to make your experience better. These things are not too difficult to achieve. There are help files explaining many of the crafts, and a helpful community to assist you along the way. The question that I’ve notice come up the most is once those basic things are done, what else is there? COGG’s world is full of lore and a lot of hints at very interesting concepts and ideas. There are immortals, land feuds, primal spirits, and many secrets waiting to be uncovered. These are just a few aspects that get glossed over. There is also the fact that the information that is there isn’t perfect. We’re able to adjust certain things; add or omit within reason. By doing so we can create interesting and dynamic characters to interact with other interesting and dynamic characters. These interactions influence all parties involved, and can even go as far as to shift the events of the world along a different path. So the simple answer is, once you’ve got a way of filling your bucket and bank account, what you can do is largely up to you. Just be prepared to roleplay the concept consistently. Some helpful tips when deciding on your path of development are as follows:

1: Read through the immortals and decide if they will follow any of them. If so, pick one that fits the character’s belief system and who they would likely support and worship. This can be their primary immortal. Generally, these are one of the larger more prominent immortals. The primes I’ve come to understand are Vandin :eye_of_vandin: , Undm :undm_scales_key: , Iarel :iarel_staff: , and Vodr :vodr_trident: . Depending on the racial and homeland background of your character, they might be drawn towards one or none of these. The Nuum for example do not generally worship them. More information can be found by reviewing their help file. Of course, one does not need to follow one of these. If they are more evil aligned, they may decide to make one of the harbinger immortals their chosen deity. These immortals are Aranas :aranas_eyes: , Malfant :malfant_eyes: , Ujaeio :ujaeio_mask: , Yru :yru_scythe_skull: , Kurn :kurn_mouths: , Hesutu :hesutu_icy_hourglass: , Bathal :bathal_gauntlet_rod: , and Balastrossa :balastrossa_wyvern: . Some of these are relatively new to the game world, but information can be found on many of them both in game and in the wiki. You can feel free to pick a few out of the lesser ones who they are drawn to and also worship and pay homage too. For instance, Nereia is a good choice for sailors and those who are drawn to the ocean. If your character decides to not follow an immortal, come up with a fun RP hook for their reasoning.

2: Decide how your character would worship said immortals. This can accent or be the center of your character’s RP. Prayers and offerings are typically the way to go. When praying keep in mind the immortal you pray to is not all powerful and has a limited domain. Praying to Aphraen to heal your cold, for example, would most definitely go unanswered. Likewise the same for offerings. Make an offering that is in line with the immortal’s theme. Aphraen might find iron weapons pleasing, and Bathal may enjoy accounting recent victories in battle where the odds were unfavorable.

3: Decide how your character feels about the nethrim and resen. One of the most common trip ups is the confusion between the Aetgardian plague and the resen infestation. These two things are different. That is to say, the plague that wiped out Aetgard is generally not attributed to the resen. The resen are not only found within the lost lands, and neither are the nethrim. However, they are largely isolated to small pockets outside. They are more prominent and have a stronger hold in the lands owing to a number of factors, one of which is the disorganization of the lost lands. When deciding, a couple things to keep in mind. Nethrim are essentially the undead. Skeletons, spooky shades, ghouls, rotting animals, twisted sentient trees. However, most believe them to be the manifestations of souls who’s strong emotions bind them from moving onward, anger, suffering, betrayal, sadness. When considering the resen, it is important to understand that they are not dead yet. These are not zombies who die and then become reanimated as is common in main stream video games, rather these individuals’ wills are simply overwritten and trapped within their bodies. The hope for a cure or some way of freeing their will influences some characters to seek alternative methods for combating them, while others feel little guilt in dispatching them, reasoning that they are being merciful.

4: Decide how they feel about the major powers in the lost lands. From my own understanding, these are the Dominion, Lapis, the Republic of Exiles, and the Liberi. There may be a few others who are just as powerful, but operating from the shadows of course. Once you’ve read up on them, decide who they sympathize with, or what their initial thoughts are. Then go out and have some conversations with other characters about them to further shape their understanding and opinion.

5: Decide on some goals they want to achieve. Short term goals are great. Buy a horse, pay my inn room for the month, collect dyes. Long term ones are even better though, find my long lost daughter, uncover and study an ancient occult artifact, champion the rebellion in the Dominion. These kinds of decisions are going to provide more fuel for your character than deciding on how much melee they will learn or what abilities you should pick up for them. That being said, don’t anticipate achieving them very quickly, or ever. That’s why they’re long term. They should be providing them a basic path to follow though. If they want to study an artifact, go out into a ruins, higher a guard maybe, and do some investigating, read room descriptions, talk about what you’re seeing, pose questions to other characters, or even in your character’s mind using the think command. Seek out studyable items. Things that generally show you’re taking steps in that direction. Makes sense right? You want to uncover an artifact, do things that would present opportunities for doing just that. You’ll likely never find one if all you’re doing is delivering packages along often traversed roads.

6: Finally, be flexible. These are all things you should consider and have some idea of what they feel as you play, but the world is as dynamic as players make it. Allow characters to influence you, and perhaps your characters will influence others. If your character never changes, they’ll simply become uninteresting to you or other players.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

I wanted to contribute something for players who would like a little help, initially, orienting Shadgard. While asking in-character for directions is a good way of making connections with other players, navigation --- as well as RP! --- can be daunting at first, and not everyone has access to an ASCII compass. Please fix as needed:

Shadgard has a long street that runs from the North to the South. Following it South from the Gatehouse you will pass the Tanner and Barracks; then the Hearth & Home Inn, then the Commons and Town Hall, then the Tailor and Cobbler, then the Jailhouse, before finally arriving at an arch. Pass through the arch to visit the Old Mine Church.

If we walk back North to the Barracks, following the road that heads east from the Barracks and Tanner will lead you to the Stables and Lost Hunter Lounge; then, following it further to the South-East, the Infirmary, Locksmith shop and Brewery. From there, the Blacksmith, Workyard, Warrior Guild and Mine are to the East. Follow the road South-West of the Infirmary to reach the Market, General Store and Warehouse. If you were to walk down the Alley from the Market, you would find the Twin Dagger Tavern. Head West of the Market and you will find yourself in the Town Commons, where the Town Hall is situated (with Main Street running North and South). West of the Commons are the Bakery and Bookstore. North of the Bakery is the Bank, Bathhouse and Music Shop; whereas heading up the Path from the Bakery will lead you to the Weaver's Workshop and the Dyer's Cottage. Following the path South will lead to the Clayworks, and then the path veers South-East from the Clayworks to the Steamworks. Heading Eastward through the tunnel and out, following the path, you will eventually reach the Farms and Stockade.