Adroit Maneuvers

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Lexx416

Adroit Maneuvers

Post by Lexx416 »

This isn't a super fleshed out idea, but I like the idea of an ability that lets folks substitute a portion of the artifice in place of melee, when calculating attack rolls with specific weapons. I think that it should capped so that it's not possible to get an effective "melee" roll that would be higher than if someone capped their melee at 400 - given how useful artifice already is, I'd suggest 50% artifice.

I think it should only function with specific weapons, as well. Whips are what came to mind first for this ability, but also small, light arms like daggers and stilettos is probably reasonable. It'd also be nice if Adroit Maneuvers allowed PCs using whips to try a trip attempt on an enemy.

There should be some kind of downside to the ability. Maybe taking cumulative negative penalties based on overall encumbrance/item weight, slightly increased RT for attacks to signify being tricky and clever when attacking, maybe a penalty to attacking someone if you're under the "just found" or "under attack" conditions, etc.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on this! I don't necessarily want it to be an ability that lets 700 artifice compete with people invested in combat, but just a way to let artifice do a bit more in combat would be cool.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Navi

Re: Adroit Maneuvers

Post by Navi »

For such an ability, my suggestion would be to use %60 percent of artifice, apply a weakened debuff to all attacks made using this ability; something that reduces the overall damage dealt by 20% would work I think. I'm not sure being able to get one hit kills with this ability should happen frequently, no matter how good the roll. Restrict it to one handed weapons. 10% Increased chance to hit aimed locations.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Navi wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:31 am For such an ability, my suggestion would be to use %60 percent of artifice, apply a weakened debuff to all attacks made using this ability; something that reduces the overall damage dealt by 20% would work I think. I'm not sure being able to get one hit kills with this ability should happen frequently, no matter how good the roll. Restrict it to one handed weapons. 10% Increased chance to hit aimed locations.
I don't think it should be restricted to all one handed weapons, but rather just a specific set of weapons. Ball and chain is one handed, for example. As is a javelin. Those don't strike me as weapons that would benefit from close proximity and tricky/deft hand maneuvers. It might help to base it off of reach, if you wanted an easier-to-categorize thing, but I also just think having it work with very specific weapons would be fine too.

I do agree with the 60% suggestion though in hindsight, same for the weakened Damage Factor of the attack.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Navi

Post by Navi »

If we go specific weapons, I'd suggest the mace and staff to be included. I know staves aren't 1 handed, but they're too cool not to. Plus they seem like a good weapon to keep opponents on their toes and do require quite a bit of dexterity.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
We'll meet again
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Navi wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:52 am If we go specific weapons, I'd suggest the mace and staff to be included. I know staves aren't 1 handed, but they're too cool not to. Plus they seem like a good weapon to keep opponents on their toes and do require quite a bit of dexterity.
I think a staff would be fair. I don't really like the mace though as a "ha HA, quick moves!" type thing. I do think we should have a light bludgeoning weapon like a truncheon that could be used for this. But the crush damage type seems inappropriate for Fasthands McCoolGuy to use deftly. I'd also say the same thing with puncture, if we had a 1 handed puncture weapon.
Navi

Post by Navi »

Fair enough. My rogue fights nethrim exclusively if they can manage it, so it'll be still worthwhile to invest into melee to use those weapons, but not as much as I might otherwise.
We'll meet again
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Not a fan.

I realize there are numerous abilities which deal with utilizing skills to provide a bonus to a completely unrelated domain, but they don't provide extra functionality.

I realize Rias has commented about having abilities that provide extra "skill points" in certain areas, to allow people to broaden themselves/specialize, but at least for me, providing people with an entirely different avenue of XP/Gain/Style for the cost of one ability point seems a bit much.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Karjus wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:59 pm Not a fan.

I realize there are numerous abilities which deal with utilizing skills to provide a bonus to a completely unrelated domain, but they don't provide extra functionality.

I realize Rias has commented about having abilities that provide extra "skill points" in certain areas, to allow people to broaden themselves/specialize, but at least for me, providing people with an entirely different avenue of XP/Gain/Style for the cost of one ability point seems a bit much.
How exactly do you view it as a different style of XP gain? If you mean the fact that this would mean you wouldn't have to take Melee, consider that your rolls for CIRCLE, FEINT, and most defense rolls would act with zero melee.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Gorth wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:07 pm
Karjus wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:59 pm Not a fan.

How exactly do you view it as a different style of XP gain? If you mean the fact that this would mean you wouldn't have to take Melee, consider that your rolls for CIRCLE, FEINT, and most defense rolls would act with zero melee.
I'd honestly consider XP gain the least of the issue.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I'd honestly consider XP gain the least of the issue.
But earlier you said:
but at least for me, providing people with an entirely different avenue of XP/Gain/Style for the cost of one ability point seems a bit much.
Am I just misunderstanding your stance, here?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.