Snares: giving animals some mercy

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
artus

Snares: giving animals some mercy

Post by artus »

Playing a merciful survivalist sometimes got me thinking. There are times I so so so want to free something in my snares instead of killing them, for a few ic reasons in a few ic settings.
It'd be nice if one can free animals from at least their own snares if not others. There's a lot of rp potential from that feature.
Lexx416

Re: Snares: giving animals some mercy

Post by Lexx416 »

I think it'd be worthwhile if people could free them from other traps as well, since folks can already poach snared animals. I'd make releasing an animal take some RT (maybe 90 seconds or so, to stop someone from script-releasing all of the animals in the local traps at a rapid pace) with a chance for the critter to attack the person using the command based on how aggressive of an animal it is.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: It is now possible to RELEASE critters caught in small game snare traps.

I went back and forth on whether to restrict this to only the original trap-setter or not. I decided to just let anyone do it for now, and we'll see how that goes. If snare traps end up virtually useless due to crusading animal-freers constantly releasing animals, we'll look into adding some restrictions.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

You could consider having the releasers leave tracks of their own, so angry trappers can potentially hunt them down for lost meat and skins instead. Real frontier stuff.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Ephemeralis wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:40 am You could consider having the releasers leave tracks of their own, so angry trappers can potentially hunt them down for lost meat and skins instead. Real frontier stuff.
PCs do leave tracks, so this should be possible!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

Tracking doesn't work well when you have 50 people passing that area 200 times an hour though.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

artus wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:05 pm Tracking doesn't work well when you have 50 people passing that area 200 times an hour though.
I would argue that means that diligent hunters should travel to more out of area ways if they want to track down any fiends and ne'er do wells that are tampering with their hunting! Setting snares on public thoroughfares and commonly traversed probably isn't a great idea.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."