Lore Items and Lore Mechanics Suggestions

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Marcuson

Lore Items and Lore Mechanics Suggestions

Post by Marcuson »

I have three separate suggestions in this post: I want to suggest specific new lore items, a new way of obtaining lore items, and additional lore mechanics.

Lore Item: tally sticks

In real life, tally sticks were sticks carved with specific types of notches and were created to keep track of debts or taxes during the medieval era, but the existence of notched sticks stretches back before written history; we don't know what the exact purpose of those ancient sticks were, though there's plenty of conjecture. Here's a fascinating video about the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DkyahZplFo

I don't see why we couldn't have tally sticks in COGG as the mysterious remnants of some ancient culture. Maybe the Hopta.

Lore Item: arrowheads

In real life, I am one-quarter Mississippi Choctaw, and, prior to European contact, my ancestors (like many indigenous cultures across the entire world) knapped arrowheads out of lithics. These lithics could -- and still can -- be found scattered across the lands that my ancestors lived and hunted in, though particularly near ancient sites of villages and waterways. Arrowheads and other types of projectile points could serve both as functional weapons and as trade goods.

Like the tally sticks, perhaps PCs could occasionally unearth or stumble upon a fine-quality arrowhead, or arrowheads comprised of unusual lithics, hinting at now-lost cultures in the Lost Lands. Again, the Hopta spring to mind.

Lore Item: The Iron Column

This is inspired by the real-life Iron pillar of Delhi. Potential in-game lore is as follows:

This is a massive column of gray iron, thirty feet high with a diameter of two feet, weighing countless tons, that is sunken immovably within the ground. The iron is of extraordinary purity and craft and has resisted all form of weathering. There is writing of various designs written on it, from many different hands and scripts, some of which look to be incredibly ancient and which are so far unreadable by scholars. (When a Warlock studies this pillar, they receive additional lore: some of the engravings were made using nether, though present-day nether seems to be ineffective against the column of iron.) The origins of the iron, as well as the incredible metallurgical skills of the people who crafted it, have now been lost to time.

New Way of Obtaining Lore Items

Maybe, very rarely (I suggest a probability of 0.05%, which offers a 39.35% chance after opening 1000 boxes), locked boxes could contain a minor lore artifact of some type. Just something small but shiny that can be studied to add more color to the world.

Additional Ways of Studying Lore Items

You may have noticed that I mentioned sorcery earlier. I think it'd be neat if Arcanists, Primalists, and Warlocks could gain additional lore from studying artifacts relevant to their field of study. Maybe Primalists have to cast druidry at something to make it studiable, for instance. Not sure exactly how it would work for Arcanists.