July 30th Voice Chat Notes

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

July 30th Voice Chat Notes

Post by Teri »

Post away.
Last edited by Teri on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Marcuson

Re: Voicechat Saturday July 30th 2pm MST (Post questions here)

Post by Marcuson »

Is there any part of nethertouched wildlife that is edible?

We've seen that nether is usually only capable of interacting with dead flesh (i.e., nethrim), and it usually has acidic properties when directed toward living flesh, so I'm curious as to how nether works for living beings who have been nethertouched. Is it a special type of nether? Did the ravens get that way because they consume nethrim?
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

How does Shadgard feel in general about old-timey folk practices like bloodstopping, dowsing for water or minerals, or weather predictions based on animal behavior? How seriously do they take them?

Does Shadgard have any popular tall tales or legends similar to the ones we have in the United States? For example, Paul Bunyan, Sasquatch, the Jersey Devil, Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine, etc.

Are there venomous snakes in the Lost Lands? Does the Shadgard infirmary employ a skilled snake handler whose job is to milk venomous snakes for the purposes of producing antivenom?

Does Dunwyr Venom contain venom from actual Dunwyr?
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

Q: Who runs the Hanged Man?
A: Someone comfortable with Shadgard and being next to it. They're not connected to the whole central heating shebang though. For now, it's a place where you can stay if you get kicked out of town. If you *really* get on the wrong side of Shadgard and are undermining/attacking them directly, that might mean you can't stay in the Hanged Man either, however. They have an agreement with the town. Moreover, it may be that rentable rooms there are removed once Mistral Lake is released --- he's not sure yet.

Q: The STRIP command sends things to the footlocker container. Could we have it going to wardrobe instead?
A: Yes, could probably have it set that way.

Q: We can rent both rooms at the same time, is that intended?
A: He might look to limit it, but for now he's not really worried about people abusing it for hoarding things.

Q: Is there any part of nethertouched wildlife that is edible?
A: Um yeah it's edible, but it's probably not gonna ... I mean people eat Taco Bell. Stomachs are powerful. It's going to depend on the creature and the severity of the condition. You can eat it but it's going to taste funky and it's not going to settle well; you might loose more than you gain because you end up puking it up.

Q: We've seen that nether is usually only capable of interacting with dead flesh (i.e., nethrim), and it usually has acidic properties when directed toward living flesh, so I'm curious as to how nether works for living beings who have been nethertouched. Is it a special type of nether? Did the ravens get that way because they consume nethrim?
A: It's still nether but it's behaving differently. There are instances of nether where you can touch it and it won't harm you; it can take different forms. Presumably one of these is compatable with or at least doesn't destroy living tissue.

Q: How does Shadgard feel in general about old-timey folk practices like bloodstopping, dowsing for water or minerals, or weather predictions based on animal behavior? How seriously do they take them?
A: You've got plenty of people who are going to do them, who think maybe this'll work. But it's not like everyone's all in. There are plenty of people are going to be doing it, accepting that there might be some validity to these folk practices. Its detractors will be saying "Ha yeah it's just a bunch of redneck hillbillies", etc. Shadgard isn't the most educated place around. We also have to keep in mind that maybe they really do work in this world; maybe there's some occult practice that works depending on the material.

Q: Does Shadgard have any popular tall tales or legends similar to the ones we have in the United States? For example, Paul Bunyan, Sasquatch, the Jersey Devil, Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine, etc.
A: There's a lot of the Octum lore that falls into that category: the headless lord, the drink that's named after the scarecrows. As far as more folk figures go, it'd be fun but he doesn't really have specifics or anything concrete written down. He really wants to dive into a lot of local lore at some point. So far, a lot of the lore that he puts up has been world lore; a lot of it tends to be stuff away from Shadgard and the Lost Lands --- it's all stuff about peoples' homelands, etc. There are a couple of artifacts that give little hints at local lore. He's really glad that the whole snowbird stuff has caught on, but he doesn't really have anything as specific as Paul Bunyan.

Q: Are there venomous snakes in the Lost Lands? Does the Shadgard infirmary employ a skilled snake handler whose job is to milk venomous snakes for the purposes of producing antivenom?
A: There are venomous snakes in the area. As far as a dedicated NPC goes, that would be fun to make. We may have some tasks for treating individuals with snake bites and he'd love to have occasional fishing mishaps. He remembers he had a bunch of ideas for different diseases that could be treated by physickers.

Q: Does Dunwyr Venom contain venom from actual Dunwyr?
A: Gotta get those loggers out of there somehow. It would be a fun way to do it. It would be funny if it gave rise to a folk legend, that if you get bitten by a dunwyr it can be cured by drinking Dunwyr Venom.

C: Some time was taken to theorise about Jonathon Crowhaven being Hillfolk, or maybe just a nice guy, just misunderstood.

Q: Any information on what Crowhaven believes, on what he wants to achieve out there?
A: it's just a little blurb so far that says he's a powerful reclusive sorcerer. People form cults around him, but he still refuses to see anyone. This is another one of those things: stuff with Crowhaven has such deep roots in local lore, he's such a big part of it. He hasn't put anything out there, there probably should be.There was going to be some information forthcoming with Caer Ioan but that didn't work out (will probably still be a thing sooner or later). Crowhaven is not just a little footnote.

C: Another lore thing, local lore thing: he was going to make a section of the Shadgard Town Hall be a study location.

Q: Can we pour liquid containers out of windows please?
A: There is at least one scripted item where you could do this. It does sound like something you would expect to see in Shadgard.

Q: Do we have glass?
A: Yeah. it's not a super luxury material but maybe not everyone has it.

Q: When can we eat soap, gems and chalk?
A: Sleight of hand, or actually? If actually: gross, there are some weird people.

Q: Will it ever be possible to learn the lockbox darkness glyph, can we donate lockboxes to the library for study?
A: it would be a nifty thing to do.

C: We need to deal with the influx of earthworms.

Q: Who are the loggers in Blackwater affiliated with? are they Dominion?
A: They're hiring locals out there. There are plenty of loggers there who are just independent. Still, you're more likely to have people that are supportive of the Dominion in a Dominion-controlled place like Blackwater Logging Camp.

C: The sea at New Emberlight does go to the ocean. It comes in a good amount towards the centre of the continent but you can still go a good distance west from New Emberlight. It's not like there's a big shelf where the western end of the continent is.

C: One of these days will have to make a map.

C: We do need to have crab/lobster pots in game at some point, maybe.

Q: Can you confirm that fishing actually matters because you can fail the first roll and still catch the fish.
A: He needs to look at the code as to why this is happening. He thinks it should be that the better the fish rolls against you the harder it is on line durability, as it stands.

Q: Fishing in Valeria when?
A: He forgot to add fish when building it.

C: He does need to look at fishing code again. It's very old. It's a tug of war: it's possible to start with a high enough advantage so they just fail anyway, which does negate the tug of war aspect.

Q: (In the new Mistral Lake area) Will there be any zones to explore off the Old Ruins, as in CLOK?
A: He doesn't think there are any zones, large zones. No sub-zones or anything like that. It's been really fun, walking through checking up on some stuff and noticing little spots that other GMs had built. It was cool to see those and explore them.

Q: You've said before that you're not going to release Mistral Lake as a full-blown fleshed out thing, compared with Shadgard as it is at the moment. What should we expect; how high-level will it be? Will there be lore items, guild headquarters etc.? When you say you're not going to release it fleshed out how minimal are you thinking?
A: There will be the basic amenities, shops, skill training stuff; he doesn't think it has guild facilities. That reminds him to put some in for adventurers. There are a couple of zones around it for combat and stuff like that. It will feel sparse at first, but should have all the basics. He's sure the first people who are allowed over there will remind GMs about things that they need as players. It's got some other zones that are partially prepped but just need to be finished up. He's probably not going to make himself delay releasing for those.

Q: When you're saying a limited zone, are you thinking when it gets released people will only have access to Mistral Lake (the town), or will we have access to the wilderness zone around it?
A: There'll be wilderness. It's in its own wilderness area, smaller, that branches into the larger one, the existing one; Flametip and Dusklamp &c. Everyone will be able to walk up to the settlement, the entrance to Mistral Lake, regardless of affiliation. Basically, the road is going to open; he wouldn't want to have people cut off.

Q: What's south of the valley where the farmlands are?
A: It's a narrow small-ish valley surrounded by high mountains. It's just mountains that are getting higher and higher south and east of Shadgard.

Q: I know you expect Shadgard vs Dominion (Resistance vs Dominion TBC) to be one of the hooks of gameplay/storytelling. Do you have anything in mind as to how that is going to kick off? Let's see how things play out? Is there some idea of an arc as to how to get things into conflict? Are you thinking there will be an event for release, or will it be something more low-key, e.g. an invitation to XYZ and see how things pan out?
A: It's going to start with just having people over there and just doing their thing normally. When it feels like it's ready enough, then when we want to ramp up the conflict we can kick it off. It will be clear when this happens, rather than just like "Okay here's your faction, off you go."

Q: So you don't expect faction conflict to be a thing immediately, but built up to?
A: Yeah, but if people have personal reasons why they might conflict that's okay. They can have their own reasons even if it might not be a faction thing right now. Shadgard's leery of the dominion and they don't want to be absorbed, but they're not overly hostile to eachother. It would be nice to have a build-up, an organic thing: they did this thing we don't like, and now they've done this and we're really starting to get annoyed.
Last edited by tulpa on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teri

Re: Saturday July 30th Voice Chat Notes

Post by Teri »

Bumping as I edited the title to reflect the notes were posted. Ty Tulpa!
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Marcuson

Re: July 30th Voice Chat Notes

Post by Marcuson »

Q: Is there any part of nethertouched wildlife that is edible?
I'm still chuckling that Rias's immediate response was "People eat Taco Bell, right?" Good stuff.
Q: We've seen that nether is usually only capable of interacting with dead flesh (i.e., nethrim), and it usually has acidic properties when directed toward living flesh, so I'm curious as to how nether works for living beings who have been nethertouched. Is it a special type of nether? Did the ravens get that way because they consume nethrim?
An analogy that came up during voice chat that helped me understand was that the different forms of nether are akin to states of matter -- solid, liquid, gas. They're the same substance, just with differing properties. (He wasn't making a direct comparison to our laws of physics but rather merely providing a frame of reference for how nether can react differently in varying situations.)
C: We need to deal with the influx of earthworms.
Tulpa said that we should be able to crush them and weave them into cordage. Gross. :snowbird: