Six new Immortals!

Discussion of religion and the Immortals.
Rias
DEV

Re: Six new Immortals!

Post by Rias »

Pronunciation guide:

- Balastrossa: Bah-lah-STRO-sah (with the "Spanish R")
- Bathal: Bah-THAHL (with a hard TH almost like a T)
- Hesutu: HEH-soo-too
- Kurn: Kern
- Ujaeio: Ooj-EYE-oh
- Yru: EE-ru (with the "Spanish R")

P.S. If you say them differently, that's okay. I say a lot of Immortal names and other COGG words differently than they are officially pronounced, but I'm trying to get better at it.
Kurn sort of strikes me as the type who would rather gleefully accept a human sacrifice, but I'm curious if Bathal would see that as a waste of time, waste of a potential resource, etc?
Right, Bathal would see a human sacrifice as wasteful and generally irrelevant to his interests. He's not a death god or a blood god or a soul god. Though accepting surrenders and admissions of defeat in the name of Bathal could work similarly.
Building off of that, what are some offerings Bathal would find acceptable/pleasing?
Aside from the standard prayers and other simple acts of acknowledgment, hmmm ... I don't think he's as big into physical offerings as some other Immortals might be, but I'd say some good ideas would be tokens of victory or a cut of the spoils from successful combat efforts. Weapons from defeated foes could work as well, though he's a practical guy and would probably prefer seeing them put to some further purpose if one is available rather than abandoned or destroyed as part of the offering act. Not that Bathal has any personal need for any of these offerings; it's the act of offering and of giving something up to acknowledge him that's important. Other acts of dedication and acknowledgment could be invoking his name in combat, giving acknowledgment to him for guidance or inspiration in combat (even if indirect - not necessarily "thanks for lending a hand and helping me win" but more like "your example/teachings/inspiration gave me an edge in this victory.") Spreading his name and influence via verbal means or banners or tokens (I'll get those symbols to you soon(tm)!) is always appreciated, too. I imagine some might dedicate a particular weapon or other piece of gear to him, which would cause the wielder to have Bathal in mind when using it, which in turn means more frequent acknowledgment and (hopefully) respect from the user. Even just putting his mark on gear that others can see and recognize would help to spread the name and acknowledgment of Bathal and be appreciated.

P.S. The above ideas are by no means the only acceptable ones. I'm happy to hear what other people come up with for dedicatory offerings and acts to empower Bathal! I'd love to crowdsource some creativity for this type of thing.
So, my character often jokingly says, "Speak of demons and they appear," when she makes an appearance right after someone has been talking about her. But now I'm curious: is this an actual thing? Would little children be warned to not utter the name Kurn for fear this toothy daemon is going to materialize out of the shadows and eat them?
Yeah, I think it's a general thing with the whole "speaking the name of the spooky Immortal risks inviting its attention" idea.
How is the Fool normally depicted?
The only real constant in depictions is the wearing of masks, and they often have two faces (sometimes more, if the artist can make it look good) on the mask with differing expressions to symbolize the multiple guises and personalities of the Jester. Some depictions might omit the mask and have it be two (or more) actual faces. So if there's a depiction of a person with multiple faces, it's likely of, or at least inspired by, Ujaeio.
Is it plausible that one might have fallen into worshipping The Fool by being tricked into thinking it was someone else?
Sure, as long as the trick eventually ended and the mortal at some point realized they were dealing with the Fool. Immortals do need to be acknowledged as their true identity - or at least their commonly-recognized identity - in order to be empowered by said acknowledgment. So the Fool wouldn't have much motivation to trick people into thinking they were a different being for purposes of empowerment and sustenance, at least not long-term, because they wouldn't be getting the benefit of the supernatural immortal identity acknowledgment sustenance. Not to say that the Jester might not do something like that for other reasons, though. Who knows the limitations of what they're willing to do or why they do it? But such antics are likely at least a part of the reason Ujaeio has joined Team Harbinger - splitting up their identity and using false ones is part of their gig, but it also makes it a lot harder to get that dedicatory supernatural sustenance.
And what's the relationship between the Immortal of Illusions, the Immortal of lies, and the Immortal of secrets?
They all get along fairly well, at least as well as three such odd entities can get along. They're likely viewed as kind of in their own little sub-class of the Harbinged Immortals - the mysterious difficult-to-discern trio - and there are probably some suspicions or rumors that they occasionally get up to their own things unbeknownst to anyone else. They would certainly make a potent teamup if their interests ever align on something specific. They probably get the blame for some of the more unexplainable turns and events in human history that don't seem to have any discernible logical cause. Ujaeio is certainly the most human-like in behavior and motivation, not that that's saying a lot when the other two are an eldritch spider-thing and a madness-inducing memory-eating wraith.
What kinds of colors does the Fool like? (I imagine bright, artistic colors)
All of them! But for purposes of trying to feel more connected to or representative of the Jester, yeah, your brightly-colored artsy look is pretty typical.
And how well-known is the Jester? (Newish, oldish, always been, there's rumors he exists?)
They've been around a very long time at the very least as a minor Immortal who was the patron of performers and thieves and the like, and they're generally the one credited for revealing the emotion-affecting words of power that we can see used by our Bards (and a few NPC mobs out there). The Jester has just never really been considered much of a big deal by most people.
And are there any animals, or specific symbols associated with the Fool? (I'd think cat, because the Cheshire Cat, and cats are definitely masters of illusion.)
Masks for sure, like the typical two masks of drama, or the above-mentioned masks with multiple faces. I've gone back and forth on the cat thing, actually, though don't run with it quite yet because I'm considering reserving the cat for something else, though still related.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Teri

Post by Teri »

I am very curious about Kurn's domain of regret, and how the perspective of Kurn, or mortals on it. Their other domains I could see feeding regret, given they are resisting the end world task, but are also violent ball of apparently lots of teeth and mouths and fumes. I could see Kurn just... existing and things dying from poison miasma or something nearby.

Are Undm and Yru also having undead showdowns about the dead? Given Aranas and Yru are also disagreeing over what to do with souls, I was curious about the undead/soul domains interests overlapping with the rest.

One of the earlier questions about Bathal was if they were related to a particular race, are any of these new immortals associated with any particular races?
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Rias wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:59 am Aside from the standard prayers and other simple acts of acknowledgment, hmmm ... I don't think he's as big into physical offerings as some other Immortals might be, but I'd say some good ideas would be tokens of victory or a cut of the spoils from successful combat efforts. Weapons from defeated foes could work as well, though he's a practical guy and would probably prefer seeing them put to some further purpose if one is available rather than abandoned or destroyed as part of the offering act. Not that Bathal has any personal need for any of these offerings; it's the act of offering and of giving something up to acknowledge him that's important. Other acts of dedication and acknowledgment could be invoking his name in combat, giving acknowledgment to him for guidance or inspiration in combat (even if indirect - not necessarily "thanks for lending a hand and helping me win" but more like "your example/teachings/inspiration gave me an edge in this victory.") Spreading his name and influence via verbal means or banners or tokens (I'll get those symbols to you soon(tm)!) is always appreciated, too. I imagine some might dedicate a particular weapon or other piece of gear to him, which would cause the wielder to have Bathal in mind when using it, which in turn means more frequent acknowledgment and (hopefully) respect from the user. Even just putting his mark on gear that others can see and recognize would help to spread the name and acknowledgment of Bathal and be appreciated.

P.S. The above ideas are by no means the only acceptable ones. I'm happy to hear what other people come up with for dedicatory offerings and acts to empower Bathal! I'd love to crowdsource some creativity for this type of thing.
These are all amazing ideas and you've got me thinking of some myself. Thank you for taking the time to write all of that out! I will eagerly (yet patiently) await your decision on symbols and colors and such. All of my own ideas in that regard are probably a bit too edgelordy :lol: Skulls for the skull throne!

I'm sure I'll be back in a few days to bother you with more questions, but this has been lovely and has given me plenty to think on for now!
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Navi

Post by Navi »

I'm so grateful for all of this information. I am looking forward to meeting all those who will walk the path of the Harbinger. It sounds exciting and interesting. Now that I am back at a computer and can ask some questions, I would love answers to the following ones.

I’m curious to learn about what event happened that brought all the harbingers together. I understand that Balastrossa and Bathal are the ones keeping everything cohesive. However, did they all just run into one another at a local pub or is there some lore to be discovered there. It’s also completely fine if this is something you want to keep to an in character event or to members of the harbingers.

For The Fool, is writing poetry, creating pieces of art, singing, etc, enough to juice them up, or do the works need to be ritualistically dedicated to them. For example, could someone write a song, have no knowledge of The Fool’s existence, and it still empower The Fool? Also, is that the correct term? Empowering?

Are there any specific works that they are known for? Some works rumored to be created by The Fool?

Is The Fool the man we see on the backs of Moonlighter playing cards? If not, who is it?

If someone seems to be especially lucky, would they be considered to be blessed or favored by The Fool? I know luck is a pretty vague term. For purposes of this question, I'm thinking playing cards, finding loose riln on the ground, walking into opportunities at the right time, etc.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Onasaki

Post by Onasaki »

Navi wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:43 pm If someone seems to be especially lucky, would they be considered to be blessed or favored by The Fool? I know luck is a pretty vague term. For purposes of this question, I'm thinking playing cards, finding loose riln on the ground, walking into opportunities at the right time, etc.
This doesn't sound like what Rias described the fool as. That sounds like some kind of Luck Deity. The Fool is specifically leanining towards artists, thieves, and spies. There's a performance aspect to all of these things. Gambling and Luck don't, IMO, fall into this Immortal.

Everything else you said, though, I'm super curious.
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
Navi

Post by Navi »

You are absolutely right. That would be more of the domain of a luck immortal. Let me rephrase then. What boons might be associated with blessings or favors from The Fool? And the inverse, what curses or hexes might be associated with disfavor, if such a thing is possible.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

How well known is Balastrossa? There's a small snippet of lore IC but that was the only information we found of that immortal for a while.

Are there specific ways of practicing her works? Certain sacrifices or offerings that should be made to her or would please her?

Wyrms are thought to be close relatives to Wyrverns would killing them displease Balastrossa or is this something that is dependent on the adherent?

If she's more well known since it feels like she should be to Viali, Nuumic, and Constantian cultures are there any locations more attuned to Balastrossa, much like rivers is to Naia, and the Ocean to Nereia among other immortals?

How best would one seek finding a cult to this immortal or is it find out IC which is easier said than done?
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

How are Kurn and or Kurn worshippers viewed by other immortals/immortal worshipers. I'd prefer to know more on non-Harbinger immortals/worshippers, but both are fine.
Does Kurn's 'Regret' of her 'destiny' extend to wanting to help the realm, or is she simply apathetic to it? Does she view the world as a world with living people or as a place to let out her aggressions?

What kinds of sacrifices/rituals might be commonly known about Kurn? Would she like, for example, raw bloody meat, or the corpses of enemies? Is she the kind of war god that would care of challenging enemies or simply that killing is happening?

Do 'Regret' or any other of Kurn's domains extend to include Mercy? Let's take an example:
If George attacks me, and it's clear he is nowhere near my skill, and I beat him soundly, would Kurn prefer I do this as embarrasingly for George as possible? As quickly? As violently? Or would she rather I embarrase and then let live?

Is Kurn depicted with any sort of weaponry, or is her main form of...attack...her mouth(s)?

Other than Kurn's demonic form, does she have any other depictions? Symbols? Is she the kind of immortal who would care if you wore her symbols. Should you wear a symbol of Kurn loudly and proudly? Of course, I doubt Mistral would care, but would you get actively disliked if you flew it in public?

And of course, the obligatory, how well known is Kurn? Do people know, fear or respect her, or do I need to make a Harbinger?

P.S.
Rias wrote: Also, fun fact: Bogvaskr and Kurn are nemeses.
Why? Is this commonly known? Would these two worshippers fude and for what reasons?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.