Brainstorming Ideas For Capped Level

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Teri

Brainstorming Ideas For Capped Level

Post by Teri »

Attempting to think of ideas for players after they hit level cap so this is a call for ideas. I really only have the one, so here it is: Faster skill decrease times for unlearning skills, as the exp won't be going towards leveling.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Marcuson

Re: Brainstorming Ideas For Capped Level

Post by Marcuson »

I like that idea.

I think someone else suggested this one time -- I forgot who, sorry! -- but I'll post it here: maybe capped players (and only capped players) could "buy" extra skill points with ability points, taking the ability multiple times if they so choose. I was thinking 100 more skill points for each ability point. When new abilities come out later, they can unlearn those abilities (and refund the extra points) in order to gain new abilities as they're implemented later.

As an example, Dylan has 8 of 30 ability points free, so that's only 800 extra skill points.

This is probably more effort than is worth coding for, and there would definitely be some balance issues, but I still thought I'd throw the idea out there. Even bad ideas could spark good ones.
Navi

Post by Navi »

I had thought of a sort of tutoring system where capped level characters can distribute the exp they gained and processed via the bucket to group members. Like, wow this person is a wealth of experience and knowledge, just having them around makes me more worldly. Plenty of ways to balance it. It would be good to maybe give characters a reason to stay in the grind so to speak with other players who haven't reached capped level, other than purely for RP's sake. Hopefully this makes sense and sparks some additional ideas.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Teri

Post by Teri »

Ty! Tossing out the idea of temporary purchasable buff of some kind available either as an effect or nudging a skill in some way.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
jerc

Post by jerc »

I like the ideas that use the ever-increasing experience pool on level-capped characters the best. That's really the main thing that differentiates them from non-capped characters - they have nowhere for all of that experience to go. It would be cool to be able to exchange that for some other types of "currency" (but not skill/ability points - that's just levels with extra steps). Maybe add a riln cost to the exchange as well, so it also becomes a riln sink? If capped characters have an abundance of anything besides experience and nothing to do with, it's riln. Might even be neat to open it up to non-capped characters and let them drop levels if they want, provided they have enough free skill/ability points to do so. Some things might be more important in the short-term than another level.

Currency ideas:
  • Sunset(rise?) points: Get these without having to retire your main character so you can give your alt a boost. Or just boost the same character if you hate efficiency.
  • Learning points: Increase practice rate by some percentage.
  • Forgetting points: Increase unlearning rate by some percentage (Teri's idea)
  • Teaching points: Spread the experience (maybe even skill/practice?) to other characters (Navi's idea)
  • Customization points: Async restrings for items/characters outside of the normal GM-run merchant events.