In-Game OOC Titles and Achievements Channel

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Marcuson

In-Game OOC Titles and Achievements Channel

Post by Marcuson »

Rias has said more than once that he misses the OOC in-game titles that he could bestow on people, and he's also mentioned an achievements system. I say roll those all into one big blob of a new titles channel. Players who want to see those notifications can leave the channel enabled, and players who don't can disable the channel using the 'channels' command.

I'd also suggest that, in addition to its current functionality, that the 'title' command let you see a list of all players who currently have titles set, as well as allowing you to check a player's titles/achievements. For example:

Code: Select all

> titles Jimbob
Jimbob has earned the following titles:
     "Hold My Beer"
     Tried to Walk on Lava
     "Why did you think this was a good idea?"
     Infirmary VIP
Rias
DEV

Re: In-Game OOC Titles and Achievements Channel

Post by Rias »

I gave someone a title earlier and it made me sad that it wouldn't be seen by anyone but the recipient. Any reason the announces shouldn't go on #WHO? Titles don't happen often so it shouldn't be a particular distraction, and it'd be one less channel to juggle. Set title could also display on that character's login/logout messages.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I'd love this, personally! I don't see any issue, especially if it's muteable, because some people are party poopers. /pout
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
silly

Post by silly »

Yes please! It would be great!
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Speaking from the perspective of a resident party pooper, I don't have any problem with this! It'd be fun, I think.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'm considering having it go to #GAME as well, though there is a small worry it might bother some people at being "outed" that they're logged in at the moment to the whole #GAME channel. Any thoughts on that?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Rias wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:09 pm I'm considering having it go to #GAME as well, though there is a small worry it might bother some people at being "outed" that they're logged in at the moment to the whole #GAME channel. Any thoughts on that?
I'm under-caffeinated today (woe is me in this dreadful state), so I'm having a difficult time imagining the potential problem there. But I personally wouldn't have a problem with that either. I'd enjoy seeing if someone got a title or whatever while I was logged out and unable to receive that information in-game!
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

I personally would not mind that! But I know one or two players have privacy concerns. But the WHO command kind of circumvents these anyway --- unless you're able to just leave a little device running and be logged in all of the time, so players are none the wiser.

Maybe a prompt to accept or decline an OOC title for formality's sake, would be a decent workaround
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Any thoughts on showing titled names in the output of the WHO command? My main concern there is that it might be confusing with screen readers if some usernames are consisting of multiple words when normally they're all just a single world. Can any screen reader users chime in? Would this be an issue?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Prism

Post by Prism »

Rias wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:32 pm Any thoughts on showing titled names in the output of the WHO command? My main concern there is that it might be confusing with screen readers if some usernames are consisting of multiple words when normally they're all just a single world. Can any screen reader users chime in? Would this be an issue?
I’d love this
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "