Elemancy?

Discussion about the occult and arcana in general. (Don't call it "magic" if you want to be taken seriously by scholars.)
ocayucos

Elemancy?

Post by ocayucos »

I notice there's no section for elemancy. Will it still be possible or is it gone now?
Rias
DEV

Re: Elemancy?

Post by Rias »

This is one of the few big hangups I'm still stuck on. I think it's no secret to those who know me from back in CLOK that I'm not a big fan of elemancy. I spoke several times of "nuking" the University of Elemancy. While this new "alternate reality" for COGG presents an opportunity to just say something like "by the way, elemancy isn't a thing this time," I worry that that's a little too heavy-handed. For better or worse, elemancy-type stuff was a significant part of the world in CLOK. And it's kind of Nuum's "thing". So I'm considering keeping it at the moment, though using a different angle as far as how and why it works (which were never fully explored before anyway).

So, stay tuned, and my apologies for making you wait on a solid answer.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rias wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am This is one of the few big hangups I'm still stuck on. I think it's no secret to those who know me from back in CLOK that I'm not a big fan of elemancy. I spoke several times of "nuking" the University of Elemancy. While this new "alternate reality" for COGG presents an opportunity to just say something like "by the way, elemancy isn't a thing this time," I worry that that's a little too heavy-handed. For better or worse, elemancy-type stuff was a significant part of the world in CLOK. And it's kind of Nuum's "thing". So I'm considering keeping it at the moment, though using a different angle as far as how and why it works (which were never fully explored before anyway).

So, stay tuned, and my apologies for making you wait on a solid answer.
Is that the same for cryomancy, out of curiosity? I'm seeing no board for that, so should we assume it's up in the air/potentially gone?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Same boat. Cryomancy was always kind of weird. As far as, say, Rook Parlour is concerned, cold-inducing effects will probably simply be rolled into sorcery, since nether is by its nature very very cold. Having a way to use that coldness while intentionally preventing the damaging properties of the nether in specific circumstances is, I think, cooler anyway.

... no pun intended.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

You should do the force thing from a lot of Star Wars Reality muds; a very small random chance that a character will have the ability to channel upon character creation. :D

Considering the cost involved with being an Elemancer in CLOK and the scarcity of people (player characters) who attended the University and actually achieved expert levels of channeling, I would have no trouble believing that it died out and the knowledge of the art was mostly lost. So, actually learning to use that ability could be a difficult process in this game.
Spearman

Post by Spearman »

Jaster wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:25 am You should do the force thing from a lot of Star Wars Reality muds; a very small random chance that a character will have the ability to channel upon character creation. :D

Considering the cost involved with being an Elemancer in CLOK and the scarcity of people (player characters) who attended the University and actually achieved expert levels of channeling, I would have no trouble believing that it died out and the knowledge of the art was mostly lost. So, actually learning to use that ability could be a difficult process in this game.
This is actually a really cool idea. Random natural starting abilities/proficiencies sounds like a lot of fun.
Math321

Post by Math321 »

I'm going to have to very, very strongly disagree with the the random chances of new characters getting special options at complete random. For one, it would really suck if you wanted to play an elemancer and couldn't ever roll a character that is capable of elemancy. That would either encourage people to make and shelve a character every month until they get one that "sticks", or they'd simply be upset that they can't make the character they want.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I don't even remember writing this post, I was like, "Somebody else has played SWR muds!?"

My outlook on this has changed, and I agree... I think that feature works in a permadeath scenario in a game with a player account system (for easier tracking and monitoring of abusive character creating), but not one where characters are (more or less) persistent.

I've dreamed of a system where many of the most powerful and useful abilities are only available to players who play the game with other characters until they expire, gaining some sort of points along the way through hidden achievements and their own life longevity that are stored in their account and later allow them to access rare or desirable character traits and abilities when creating their next character. It's LIKE grinding for those things, but you actually get there just by playing the game.