Made it, Ma! Top o' the world!

Share about your character, or get help brainstorming a concept, skill setup, backstory ... all that fun stuff!
Marcuson

Made it, Ma! Top o' the world!

Post by Marcuson »

Forgive me, but I'm going to toot my own horn just a bit. Dylan has made it to level 100! Huzzah!

Many of you may not have known this, but he is a permadeath character! And, if you're familiar with him, then you know he hasn't been one who just sits around safely in town. He's done no shortage of dangerous things -- fighting nethrim, swimming underwater, recovering corpses, climbing cliffs, receiving eyeshots, antagonizing murderous PCs, and the like. There were several times when I thought for sure he was a goner, but he always managed to escape death.

You might be wondering why I chose to play that way. I've played (and still play) a lot of old-school permadeath roguelike games, so I'm used to losing. And, for Dylan specifically, I wanted his philosophy on life in the Lost Lands to be informed by the reality of his fragile existence. I wanted to embrace the risk of losing him.

Anyway, just thought I'd celebrate this milestone while putting some words of encouragement out there. Play your characters! Take some risks! And don't be afraid of losing!
Ruthus

Re: Made it, Ma! Top o' the world!

Post by Ruthus »

That's very impressive!
Well done.

I can't imagine how you managed to achieve this awesomeness.
My char is a low level one, and I have died several times already. Especially at the beginner levels, it's very hard to analyze and consider which enemies to fight, when to run, etc.
Cheers to that!

Care to share, please, some of your crucial and life-saving tips and tricks for us?
Thanks!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

That's awesome, good job! Especially considering some of the situations I know Dylan has found himself in danger-wise, getting to 100 as a Dying warrior is quite impressive. You should write up a little guide about How To Warrior Cautiously Yet Effectively.

This is making me want to set up an Achievements system.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Wow, and a lot of that was presumably during the part of the game where mortals were way more commonplace.

Big achievement, congratulations!
Navi

Post by Navi »

Nicely done. A trip to Disney World is in order. :)
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Teri

Post by Teri »

Much kudos! And silvers hairs to me, I say fondly :P but it has been a pleasure to get to know your character, and I've enjoyed our moments of humor and roleplay, and Dylan being the common sense one out of us.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time