Hillfolk popularity

Discuss the various peoples and cultures of the land.
Rias
DEV

Hillfolk popularity

Post by Rias »

Looking at the demographics page, Hillfolk are easily the most popular specific race (second only to "Mixed" race), which comes as a bit of a surprise to me. I was just curious as to why they're so popular, so if any of you out there with a Hillfolk character are okay with sharing, please let us know why you chose them over the other options!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Marcuson

Re: Hillfolk popularity

Post by Marcuson »

Simply put: laziness. I specifically wanted to play a character with "rustic" origins because that is a familiar mode of speaking and thinking for me in real life.
notgreg

Post by notgreg »

The first character I made was Hillfolk. What drew me to it was that it looked like a race with an extremely simple concept, and as a first-time player I didn't have to know any extra lore to play appropriately.

Almost all of the other choices read, at least on paper, as being very conceptually specific and probably challenging if you're diving in and don't know anything about the world. I think a more complete wiki could go a long way toward demystifying the other options.

Edited to add: on the wiki, three of the races (Khaldean, Nuum, Rhuidim) on the Race page don't have their own page. Three of the remaining races (Faewyr, Giganti, Huecatn) include links that go nowhere in their descriptions. One race (Fasa) does not appear at all. If you're a new player trying to read up, that really only leaves you with two choices.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

Simplicity. I knew I could RP an accent of a rustic character decently. In addition, I liked the idea of playing a "Big" Hillfolk, a giant amount his kin, but then going out into the world and realizing he is actually not all that tall at all! :lol:
Wut?
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

notgreg wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:38 pm Almost all of the other choices read, at least on paper, as being very conceptually specific and probably challenging if you're diving in and don't know anything about the world. I think a more complete wiki could go a long way toward demystifying the other options.

Edited to add: on the wiki, three of the races (Khaldean, Nuum, Rhuidim) on the Race page don't have their own page. Three of the remaining races (Faewyr, Giganti, Huecatn) include links that go nowhere in their descriptions. One race (Fasa) does not appear at all. If you're a new player trying to read up, that really only leaves you with two choices.
This right here is exactly what happened with my first character. I just went with a race option that I could read about on the wiki as opposed to something like Khaldean, Nuum, or Rhuidim which honestly sounded more fun to me. But I had no lore to go off of and so didn't think I could really do them justice.

This is me tossing in my two cents just to say: more documented lore, please.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
silly

Post by silly »

I wanted my first character to have a few crazy relatives. This just felt perfect for that.
I haven't played that one in a long, long while, but I intend to at some point. I haven't forgotten about him.
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

It made sense for the kind of character I wanted to play! Mack is based off of my character I played briefly from the Somnium project - I really liked the idea of playing someone from a family of shepherds, and the Hillfolk, and Karnath, seem like they'd be a people and place that would probably have those in abundance. The rest of it kind of just filled itself out, since the Briarwoods fit very neatly into the framework of my backstory (which I promise I'll fill out one of these days).
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
mahkefel

Post by mahkefel »

To me they fit the setting very well. At the very least, Cogg seems to be trying to be some sort of fantastical old west setting, and "fantasy mountain man hobbit" isn't too far a stretch at all. Personally at least I imagine all HIllfolk as Festus from Gunsmoke, but with beautiful hairy feet.
festus.jpg
(69.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Zombilicious

Post by Zombilicious »

I picked a Hillfolk after deciding what sort of character I wanted to play. Originally it was going to be Faewyr, but then I went to my handy list of things I can pick based on race and stuff. Why did I pick Hillfolk over Faewyr? Proximity to the Fey Forest and love of ponies and overall chill atmosphere.

My personal favorite races are Giganti, Nuum and Rhuidim. I'd never originally considered a Hillfolk, but they definitely open a lot of interesting opportunities without racial biases and stuff; Hillfolk history is close to Aetgard, like Faewyr history, but they lack any real religious biases, or occult biases, or really any biases. They don't even hate Faewyr or Nature after Gudleifr. So it's a nice blank slate for creating a concept.
:verungnr_tentacles: :vodr_trident:
nobody

Post by nobody »

It has been quite some time since I played my hillfolk and I picked hillfolk because... I found a Welsh name I liked. So, not the most complex reason but there it is.