Tiny, minimal, slight, flavor-inspired racial mechanical bonuses

Discuss the various peoples and cultures of the land.
Rias
DEV

Tiny, minimal, slight, flavor-inspired racial mechanical bonuses

Post by Rias »

As seen in the other thread, Hillfolk just got some very slight mechanical bonuses thanks to their hairy feet (slight warmth and very slight damage resistance to feet hit locations).

I've never wanted the different races to have significant mechanical advantages that would sway their selection based on the mechanics alone. I'd prefer people pick a race for its feel and lore. That said, I love the idea of tiny little mechanical things like the above just to reinforce some flavor. To that end, I thought it might be fun to think of other possibilities for the other races. Again, these should be VERY SLIGHT mechanics purely for flavor. Not turning things into a "you definitely want to pick <race X> if you want to play a <type y> character." If anyone has any ideas, this is the place to post them!

P.S. I prefer physiology-based bonuses. I don't like bonuses that make broad assumptions about every member of race X having learned/studied/been exposed to skill Y. Sorry Giganti stonemasons, Rhuidim sorcerers, Nuum arcanists, etc.

Some ideas off the top of my head:

Giganti - slight cold resistance.
Nuum & Khaldean - slight heat resistance. (would be kind of a shame to have two with the same, though)
Rhuidim - slight nether resistance.
Huecatn - slight disease/infection resistance.
Viali - slightly increased effects of morale both positive and negative (this is a bit of a stretch considering the above avoidance of broad assumptions but I still love the idea of playing up their race's penchant for particularly strong emotion)
Faewyr - slightly decreased penalties from darkness (ability to read in extremely low light, no need to light that torch in barely-lit caves and on dark nights!)
Fasa - slight bonuses to riding/husbandry checks with horses (due to deep-rooted subtle racial druidic connection to horses, not actual skill at riding/husbandry)
Mixed - +5 bonus to being smug about their inevitably more complicated backstory and heritage
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Prism

Re: Tiny, minimal, slight, flavor-inspired racial mechanical bonuses

Post by Prism »

Perhaps instead of a broad-spectrum bonus for Viali morale, just give them a tiny little boost on eating sit down food, bathing, and donating, because htey're cultured nicey-nices in general. (Though that again makes assumptions. Hmm...)

I'm going to think about this. But I like the thought a lot!

Parron birthplace: +1 to sailing skill.
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
artus

Post by artus »

Lol for the mixed being smug.
The husbandry/riding check for Fasa is pretty cool. I'm only commenting on Fasa here since it's the race I'm most fond of. Just an idea though, since Fasa travel a bloody lot as well as being deep rooted to their steeds, it probably doesn't hurt to have like 15 more energy or something, or even 10. This may go along with the previous ideas or replace one of the traits in the idea. I'm fine with the current one though if not this.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The more I think about it, the more I like the things that allow doing something trivial but still neat. Like the Faewyr being able to read in near-complete darkness without a light. It's just something they can do and feel cool about without it really having any significant effect. Once I get to the to-do list item of walking barefoot across rough terrain and through the wilderness causing morale loss and potential damage, Hillfolk would be able to ignore that with their super-feet. They're a little harder to think of than the easy-but-extremely-boring "slightly resist X" but they're so much more fun. So I'll continue pondering and welcome further ideas from you all!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

My only thought is that on the mixed race folk, you could have it so where their perk comes from their main bloodline. OR. They have a choice between the two perks. For example, a half-Nuum, half-Hillfolk could choose either HAIRY FEET or heat resistance.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

Perhaps something like Khaldeans having a reduced roundtime on reading texts or studying, being the scholars they are and what have you.

Will need to mull over some other ideas!
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

I like the Hillfolk feet! Thanks for the addition! And I agree that "trivial but still neat" is the way to go. As you said, the racial traits should not sway players or contribute to the existence of optimal builds.

As far as suggestions go:
Nuum: At character creation, the Nuum get a wider range of potential descriptions (compared to other characters) that could emphasize their beauty.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Marcuson wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:31 pm Nuum: At character creation, the Nuum get a wider range of potential descriptions (compared to other characters) that could emphasize their beauty.
Oooo, that's a good concept for them. Maybe some additional bit in the description output like the Hillfolk hairy feet, but it's a choice of various beauty descriptors of some kind. Hmm. Might need some help getting the wording just right for that sweet spot between generic enough to broadly apply but not so vague as to be silly or pointless.

(And watch Nuum skyrocket to the top of the demographics charts.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

Why do I get the feeling Nuum is turning slowly into stationary Wodabe?:)
Actually speaking of Nuum, do they still have long neck? They used to in the old lore. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere here.
Alicron

Post by Alicron »

Can the mixed race get a unique emote that let's them smugly say, "Mmmmmnnyess...".