Struggles with a quiet and introspective character

Share about your character, or get help brainstorming a concept, skill setup, backstory ... all that fun stuff!
Lexx416

Re: Struggles with a quiet and introspective character

Post by Lexx416 »

Something else I think that can help with playing a quiet, introspective PC is to make sure there's 1-3 topics of interest they have, that they have strong opinons on. You don't necessarily have your character speak directly about those interests, but let those be a set of guiding lights for getting involved with people and scenes socially.

When you, or your character, is more comfortable, use those topics as reasons to start talking to folks. Post up on the boards about them to spark discussions. Challenge folks on ESP when you see them discuss those topics, and try to attend events that involve those things too.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
silly

Re: Struggles with a quiet and introspective character

Post by silly »

Although she doesn't really have trouble speaking, I would say that my current character is somewhat quiet, as well. Most of the time, she chooses to use the least amount of words possible to say something. If she doesn't appear that way, it is really because I have a hard time not talking too much.

However, I try to have her make a few remarks here and there, acknowledging people that pass by in some way, that sort of thing, depending on where they are and what the situation is. Asking how their day has been, complaining/cursing at someone or the work that she needs to do, wondering what that random pair of socks is doing on the kitchen counter. Complimenting the person on something about their appearance or outfit that she likes. Sometimes it starts a conversation that keeps going for a long time, other times it lasts only for a few minutes.

I am unsure if your character would prefer to do the same, but I have found that this works for me. I am hoping that through these little things, people know that I do want to roleplay, even if my character feels like being a grump and going off by herself a lot of the time. Nothing meaningful may come out of it initially, but as your character familiarises himself with people, it could potentially begin to lead into more interesting discussions?
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.