Regarding the new ERP Policy

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Regarding the new ERP Policy

Post by Rias »

As posted in another thread, the following has been added (as of this posting) to the policy:
Rias wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:23 am ERP (Erotic Roleplay)

It should be noted that the developer of this game does not want the game to have a reputation for being an ERP hub. If it occurs naturally between characters that is one thing, but please exercise both restraint and common courtesy to the community in this regard. Players who are interested primarily in ERP should find another community to join. That is not what this community is meant to be about, and the developer actively dislikes the idea of this becoming a primary or defining trait of this game or its community. If it ever starts to look like that's where the game or its community is headed, the policy will be updated to a simple "ERP is not allowed in this game" statement. Until then, ERP is allowed so long as it follows the below guidelines:

1. ERP must be restricted to private rooms that other player characters cannot accidentally enter (in other words, keep it to rented inn rooms).
2. All parties must consent to the scene both IC and OOC.
3. Non-consensual ERP is not allowed for any reason, not even in private rooms, not even if all parties consent OOC.
4. ERP involving minors (either the player or the character) is not allowed for any reason, not even in private rooms, not even if all parties consent OOC.
Thankfully, there have only been a couple incidents that caused me to start thinking about putting this into official policy, and they were only in relation to point 1 of the above. Points 2-4 were added based on hypothetical concerns brought up by players and by reading various MUD forums about dealing with this subject. After reading some very disturbing reports (from other MUDs, not COGG), I thought it was prudent to have points 2-4. As I've seen time and again, there are always going to be those edge cases that prevent me from being able to rely on common sense, courtesy, and decency. While it can be uncomfortable to say them, it seems important to include certain rules just to keep the bases covered for everyone's safety.

I spent a good amount of time thinking and pacing and talking to my wife and some friends about my concerns both about the policy and about what kind of game and community I wished my creation to be. I tend to over-worry about things when it comes to this world and its image and community. ERP is not particularly prominent in COGG at this time as far as I'm aware, but I have seen this kind of thing take root in other communities to quickly spread and drive out others who are not interested in being around such things. I don't want that to happen to COGG. ERP is not what COGG is about, and I would hate to see this world and community be reduced to that. There are plenty of places for that type of community already, and I am not interested in COGG being one of them. I want to continue feeling comfortable letting my wife, kids, extended family, personal friends, and coworkers log in and play this game.

One sort of analogy I liked that my wife and I came up with was that if COGG were rated like movies, it would probably be considered PG-13 and possibly occasionally R (regarding the frequency and severity of violence with the combat system, and insinuations (but not actual active displays) of particularly nasty things like with Blood Cult tortures, which are supposed to be viewed as despicable and horrifying, not as supported alternative lifestyle options). I don't want it wandering into NC-17/X territory.

I apologize if this has come across as a "sky is falling" sort of thing. Again, I don't think ERP has become rampant or is currently a significant issue in COGG. There have only been a couple of incidents and resulting looking into ERP situations in other MUDs that have spurred the policy update and these thoughts, and I'm just feeling overprotective of this little sanctuary world I've created for myself and want to share with others. I just figure it's best to nip these things in the bud.

If anyone has any thoughts, questions, or concerns, feel free to bring them up and discuss in this thread.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Marcuson

Re: Regarding the new ERP Policy

Post by Marcuson »

I know no one asked, but I just thought I'd chime in and mention that, yeah, if you want ERP, there are plenty of other places for that. Just check MudStats for the most popular ones. And as someone who has done plenty of that stuff in the past, I'd say that it makes a lot of sense to keep COGG clean. I want to do my semi-serious slice-of-life drama roleplay somewhere. And that's COGG, dang it.
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

I have had no reason to be concerned, but it is good to read these statements of intent about COGG's atmosphere and community and to see them made clear and official. I will agree with Marcuson's phrasing: it would be good to keep COGG clean.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Navi

Post by Navi »

Save a Rias, join an ERP forum.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again