Various Quality-of-Life Suggestions

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Marcuson

Various Quality-of-Life Suggestions

Post by Marcuson »

Sorry about the long list, but I've been sitting on some of these suggestions for a few months, as I didn't really know where to post them, and I don't like making small posts on the BBS. I understand that technical limitations may make some of these infeasible.

Commands
  • Allow animals to come first with the "hitch" command. (e.g., hitch workhorse to handcart)
  • Underscore for better item targeting in emotes. (e.g., @stick_charcoal vs. @lump_charcoal)
  • The ability to remove multiple, non-expired consigned items with a single command.
Post Boards
  • When making a new post on a board or removing an old post, we should also be told which message number it is/was.
Character Descriptions
  • When looking at a PC, their base description should tell us if they're hiding any part of their face with a mask or hood. It's hard for me to tell sometimes.
  • It still isn't possible to nominate someone who has their character disguised if you haven't named them before. As a workaround, perhaps we could nominate players based on their user name?
Tumbling
  • Tumble, Flip, and Acrobatics skill should all improve our chances of not being injured when falling from a spooked horse.
New Items
  • Deer, wolf, bear, and wechuge fur rugs for decoration. (We've been playing a lot of Valheim lately.)
Metalworking
  • Attempts at making multiple batches of alloy still fail.
Taliaferro

Re: Various Quality-of-Life Suggestions

Post by Taliaferro »

It would be super, super lovely if the parser were a little more forgiving and less fiddly with regard to a lot of the little specifics in terms of commands, like, for instance, prepositions.

The one that springs to mind right now, because I've messed it up about five times in a row in the past five minutes, is when I type TRANSFER THINGY FROM CONTAINER INTO OTHERCONTAINER, I wish it'd just go ahead and let me do that instead of making me retype the command using TO instead of INTO.

I know it tells me right then and there how to do it right, and this game is great about giving you hints like that, but there are tons of little things like this that I run afoul of all the time, and I can't be the only one.

It would also be great if I could target an item that is in a specific container. Like, GET KNIFE IN MY BACKPACK, or IN OTHER FOOTLOCKER. That would make so much fiddling with items so much simpler. Or a specific container within a specific container. And transfer items from a container within a container. All that kind of thing.
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Taliaferro wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:24 pmIt would also be great if I could target an item that is in a specific container. Like, GET KNIFE IN MY BACKPACK, or IN OTHER FOOTLOCKER. That would make so much fiddling with items so much simpler. Or a specific container within a specific container. And transfer items from a container within a container. All that kind of thing.
You can. Use "from" instead:

Code: Select all

get brush from my tote
You remove a pine-handled scrub brush from the large canvas tote you are wearing.

Code: Select all

put my brush in package 2
You put a pine-handled scrub brush in a thick parchment package (open).

get brush from other package
You remove a pine-handled scrub brush from in a thick parchment package (open).
But "in" would be good to parse as well as "from", definitely.
Taliaferro

Post by Taliaferro »

Thank you! I really don't know why FROM never occurred to me, there.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Taliaferro wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:24 pm when I type TRANSFER THINGY FROM CONTAINER INTO OTHERCONTAINER, I wish it'd just go ahead and let me do that instead of making me retype the command using TO instead of INTO.
Done!
GET KNIFE IN MY BACKPACK, or IN OTHER FOOTLOCKER
And done! As Marcuson stated, the FROM argument already worked this way, but now IN will work as well.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Taliaferro

Post by Taliaferro »

Thank you so much. I'll work on compiling a list of other little fiddly syntaxy things like that as they crop up and occur to me, if you'd like, and post them eventually, lest I pester you with a constant, obnoxious stream of them. But those two things will make my gaming life a lot more comfortable, already!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Marcuson wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:25 pm Tumble, Flip, and Acrobatics skill should all improve our chances of not being injured when falling from a spooked horse.
I liked this idea, so per the changelog: When falling off a mount, characters with the Acrobatics skill or the Tumble ability will now make an Acrobatics skill check to potentially avoid taking fall damage. Having both Acrobatics skill and the Tumble ability will grant +1 reroll. Roundtime causes negative rerolls.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Rias wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:15 pm
Marcuson wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:25 pm Tumble, Flip, and Acrobatics skill should all improve our chances of not being injured when falling from a spooked horse.
I liked this idea, so per the changelog: When falling off a mount, characters with the Acrobatics skill or the Tumble ability will now make an Acrobatics skill check to potentially avoid taking fall damage. Having both Acrobatics skill and the Tumble ability will grant +1 reroll. Roundtime causes negative rerolls.
Awesome! Thank you!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Marcuson wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:25 pm
Underscore for better item targeting in emotes. (e.g., @stick_charcoal vs. @lump_charcoal)
This is now a thing! (And I also fixed the corpse targeting error with the EMOTE command while I was in there.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
saladbowl

Post by saladbowl »

Loot all, bury all. Please save our enter keys from 20+ corpses in a room.