MUD client customization/soundpack stuff, and pluginator

Discussion of MUD clients, plugins, the website, and other technical stuff.
Rias
DEV

MUD client customization/soundpack stuff, and pluginator

Post by Rias »

Customized MUD client setups and soundpacks are always fun to play with. If anyone is working on one and would like it to be hosted/downloadable from the COGG site, please do send a copy or share link to cogg@contrarium.net and I'll test it and toss it up on the site somewhere. I played with a Mudlet package myself a little while ago and had a lot of fun adding sounds and fiddling with chat windows and gauges and other stuff for the UI, but after a while I figured it would be best to get back to working on the game itself, so it's fairly minimal.

If those working on this stuff have any requests for specific strings or anything, feel free to post here in this thread and I'll try to be accommodating! I'm also willing consider expanding the Metaprefix (see the MPF command in-game) options to help with this type of thing.

Also for anyone working on MUD client stuff for COGG, be aware of the PLUGINATOR command. It toggles the pluginator on and off. The pluginator sends some data whenever things like roundtime, energy, morale, encumbrance, etc. change. I think it's also sending whenever the status prompt is triggered (it's been a while since I looked at it). It's a little messy in some cases - particularly combat - but I figure some people might find it useful.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Annie

Re: MUD client customization/soundpack stuff, and pluginator

Post by Annie »

The pluginator has motivated me to continue working on a soundpack of my own. It's been a valuable tool so far, and a lot of my initial concerns have been relieved. The only issues I'm running into are combat related. I'm preparing to start my journey of adding combat sounds, but the pluginator likes to find itself appended onto the end of important combat lines:

You slash at an infested vagrant with your iron rapier!<<<PLUGINATOR!>>>{'...

In order to cut down on lots and lots of spam, the trigger that grabs the pluginator information also hides the line from output. Unfortunately, this means that these combat lines are also hidden from view since the pluginator is hitching a ride on them. Is there anything we could do about this?
Serity

Post by Serity »

Annie wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:55 amIn order to cut down on lots and lots of spam, the trigger that grabs the pluginator information also hides the line from output. Unfortunately, this means that these combat lines are also hidden from view since the pluginator is hitching a ride on them. Is there anything we could do about this?
I've noted it in a bug report, but it feels like those combat lines are just missing a line break at the end, which cause really strange formatting displays such as this, even without pluginator:

Code: Select all

* When you're mesmerized
Your foe swings at you!You're snapped out of your stupor!

* When foe is unconscious and no roll is needed
You swing at your foe!   60 blunt damage
   12 alchemical damage

* Normal, which still looks weird
You swing at your foe!  Melee(dwhatever) vs Dodge (dwhatever)
   60 blunt damage
   12 alchemical damage

* the way it should be, in my opinion
Your foe swings at you!
You're snapped out of your stupor!

You swing at your foe!
  Melee(dwhatever) vs Dodge (dwhatever)
   60 blunt damage
   12 alchemical damage
Adding a line break to the end of combat messages would solve both this display issue, as well as fix the pluginator problem, I think. It's far easier and cleaner from a client-side perspective to just nuke the entire line than to reach in and modify the incoming line to delete the pluginator text.

And, funnily enough, pluginator itself adds a line break after it, so even if you manually strip out the pluginator text, it causes inconsistency between your own messages (which now have a line break after the combat text) and other peoples' messages (which don't, since pluginator data is not sent with other peoples' attacks).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Whoops! Pluginator should no longer be clingy in combat and instead be on its own line like everywhere else. Let me know if that works better for you.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

(P.S. It should have fixed the other weird no-linebreak issues with unconsciousness etc. mentioned above as well.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Serity

Post by Serity »

Rias wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:24 am (P.S. It should have fixed the other weird no-linebreak issues with unconsciousness etc. mentioned above as well.)
Confirm that it seems to have fixed those, but there are still some situations where it's clingy. Some of the more specialized combat situations. Should they just be bug reported as they come up?

Code: Select all

A mossy shambler hurls a clod of dirt at you!
A clod of dirt hurtles toward you!<<<PLUGINATOR!>>>{(etc)}<<</PLUGINATOR!>>>

You hurl a fine iron throwing-knife (keen-edged) at a mossy shambler!<<<PLUGINATOR!>>>{(etc)}<<</PLUGINATOR!>>>
  Ranged(d150):126 vs Dodge(d203(-1x)):0 = 126 (84%)
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Serity wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:10 pm Should they just be bug reported as they come up?
Please do!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

Oh, thank you for the change! I didn't know it was changed. Haven't killed anything unconscious for a good while now. Will see if it makes a difference in the soundpack at all. You're awesome!
artus

Post by artus »

Needing strongs for the following:
- building (construction stuff)
- non druidry guild/class abilities and mob special techniques (if any). I got the blood cultist though but miss a bunch of everything else.
- animal husbandry, farming other than planting, spinning and weaving yarn and thread

I think that's it for now. May ask for something else in the future.
Also, @Rias, not sure if this is still a bug or intended. The damage output for hitting unconscious mobs shows in the same line, not separate like those when you hit normally.
Also, fyi users and gms alike, I don't really base my soundpack on pluginator if you guys depend on it. it gets spammy if it's turned on. How do you use it anyway?
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Artus wrote: Also, fyi users and gms alike, I don't really base my soundpack on pluginator if you guys depend on it. it gets spammy if it's turned on. How do you use it anyway?
My soundpack captures the Plugginator with a script and gags it, and seperates it into script stored variables.

Keep in mind the Plugginator is in standard dictionary/hashmap/table syntax.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.