Nightblade Ability Suggestions

Peerless warriors of varying types, from hulking armored dreadnoughts to stealthy light-footed nightblades.
Delphine

Re: Nightblade Ability Suggestions

Post by Delphine »

Resurrecting this bad boy with an idea. Like Onasaki above, I miss the Nether Vision ability from CLOK even though it made no sense. How does channeling nether help you see in the dark. That sounds like a great way to burn your eyeballs out.

My suggestion has nothing to do with that, by the way. That was just a brief aside in which I wished to lament the days of yon when I could casually channel sorcery and frolic through the darkness to my gothic heart's content.

Anywho.

Soul Search
Give Nightblades the ability to collect blood from people (please, I need a blood vial collection to go with all these edgy skull knick-knacks I'm accruing) and then use that blood to track them down later. This would essentially work like a hot/cold mini game in which after doing their little hoodoo ritual (whatever) creating a spooky nether-y bond between their soul and their target's, the Nightblade would set out on a whirlwind adventure of trying to locate their desired victim(?) while receiving minimal feedback along the lines of:

You feel the bond growing stronger as you near your desired soul. (That sounds creepy. It's late. I'm running out of ideas.)
You feel the bond weakening as you grow further away from your target.

Q: What if your target is dead/not online at the time of hoodoo ritual forming the bond stuff?
A: In my ideal happy world of darkness and skull thrones, I would hope it wouldn't use up the blood as blood is a commodity item and this would make all edgelords sad. Maybe it would tell you that you cannot sense the soul in question and let you keep the blood to try again later.

Q: What if your target dies while you're in the middle of playing this rousing occult game of hide and seek?
A: An excellent question. I suppose it depends on future death mechanics. With present mechanics, I would expect the bond to break (and you receive some feedback on that) as that person's soul just then got transported into another, new body? Or maybe receive some sort of feedback about there being a brief ripple in the connection and then you start receiving new hot/cold feedback as they're now in a different location? (IE. You are now tracking down new body instead of old body, naturally.) If we're talking about future death mechanics with deathknell stuff, since the soul is sort of... lingering? Maybe yes? We can still find the body? But just receive some sort of feedback which lets us know that person is already dead. That might be a neat mechanic if Nightblades were able to help track down corpses in that way if the dead person just happened to be in an odd/hard to find place. And the Nightblade in question just happened to have a vial of their blood on hand. Very situational parlor trick that.

Q: Should the person being hunted/searched for receive any sort of feedback that a soul bond has been formed with them?
A: Realistically? I mean... on one hand, that would be hilarious. I've been on games before where I suddenly received some random line of text like: "You get the odd feeling that someone is thinking about you," or something and I was like WHAT THE FECK IS THAT. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED. On the other hand, if the potential victim received some sort of heads up that they were being tracked, that would surely defeat the whole purpose as they could then just run to their inn room and proceed to blow raspberries out their window.

Q: How long should this game of hide and seek last?
A: I would hope the soul bond would last for at least 15 minutes? I think that would be enough time to find someone using a very vague feedback system like this.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.