Sanity Loss & Say

Share your feedback about COGG.
Oracle

Re: Sanity Loss & Say

Post by Oracle »

Maina wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:46 pm Also, as a general reminder, Druidry is not the only thing in the game that lowers Sanity. Sorcerers have to deal with it, too, if far less often and to lesser degrees, as well as anyone who encounters certain in-game areas or effects. Any proposed solutions should probably not be specific to Druids and Primal forces.
Hey! Like I said in my suggestion, I didn't know if there were other sanity-balancing classes :) But my overall suggestion was: flavor text at various sanity thresholds to give RP prompts to the player while still giving them the freedom to RP it out. I gave examples that were primal flavored as that's what's relevant for my character. You could suggest flavor text that is relevant for your character, if you like that general idea!

Personally, I can't think of blanket flavor text that could encompass sanity reduction from death, primal forces, using sorcery, and anything else out there that wouldn't be... very uninspired. But that's just my overall suggestion: flavor text.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The speech stuff is admittedly just a very easy way to give players something concrete but not game-beaking to want to avoid, and to prevent people from pretending it's not actually affecting them when around others. A more elaborate and elegant solution based on the "insanity type" would be fun! It just needs to include some mechanical penalty (that's noticeable by third parties). The Sanity stat is meant to be something that one actively wants to manage and avoid letting it get too bad, alongside things like the Risk stat or negative Balance.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

Rias wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:45 pm The speech stuff is admittedly just a very easy way to give players something concrete but not game-beaking to want to avoid, and to prevent people from pretending it's not actually affecting them when around others. A more elaborate and elegant solution based on the "insanity type" would be fun! It just needs to include some mechanical penalty (that's noticeable by third parties). The Sanity stat is meant to be something that one actively wants to manage and avoid letting it get too bad, alongside things like the Risk stat or negative Balance.
Absolutely. This is my late-night spitballing: what if having low sanity gives a person the shakes? There's probably a more elegant way to phrase that, but I think that would be generic enough to encompass all the things that could contribute to low sanity (having just died, being afraid a primal beasty is about to eat your face, sorcery hoodoo, etc.) This trembling/tremors/shaking can be seen when you look at a person, appended to the bottom of their description. Maybe it also prints to the room at various intervals? Or would that get spammy? And then it also gives you some negative rerolls when you're doing things because you're shaking so obviously you're not at your best.

So that can be the mechanical bit that is noticeable by third parties to go along with interesting RP flavor text for the insanity experiencer.