New general ability: Basic Mount Care

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

New general ability: Basic Mount Care

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: New general ability: Basic Mount Care (available to learn where mounts are sold)

Edit: Forgot to add the link to more info: click here (or type HELP BASIC MOUNT CARE in-game)

I thought this would be a nifty way to introduce mount training, starting with the ability to give a mount a temporary effect (up to 7 days max, can be refreshed once the mount's "training exhaustion" ticks down after previous training) that allows the owner to type MOUNT CALL (or MOUNT WHISTLE) to call the mount to them from one compass room away. I figured it'd be particularly handy when horses get spooked and run a room away in the wilderness, or get lost even further out and the owner might want to run around calling to them to make it a bit easier to find them.

I tried to think of some other minor effect (in addition to the brush reroll) for this ability, but don't want to throw too much in and make it an all-in-one since it's meant to lead to additional mount training abilities for those investing in the Animal Husbandry skill. If any experience equestrian folks have ideas for throwing in some other *minor* Basic Mount Care benefits, let me know! I don't know anything about actual horse care. Might there be some kind of benefit for utilizing a hoof pick on horses (and mules)?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Re: New general ability: Basic Mount Care

Post by nobody »

Rias wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:24 pm If any experience equestrian folks have ideas for throwing in some other *minor* Basic Mount Care benefits, let me know!
Would being able to bandage (not treat or suture) one's own mount be sufficiently minor?
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

nobody wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:54 pm Would being able to bandage (not treat or suture) one's own mount be sufficiently minor?
I would have it require an Animal Husbandry check (an easy one) just because horses are easy to spook. But I feel like this could be a good place to put it. Requires an ability point dump, so not everyone can do it, and a lot of points in a skill.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

I could not get this ability to work. I learned it, and have more than enough in one skill, and not enough in the other. The help file reads as an either-or situation, so I took this to mean 300 riding is *not* required.
I tried to teach mount call, call, mount, mountcall, and eventually just train <mount>. (Assume all the other examples had "train <mount> teach" before them.) Nothing worked.
Could use some help here.
Also, please, can we tend non-bleeding wounds? Not a huge point check either... A lot of people don't get warmounts. I'm not sure how high they train riding.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Firerose wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:23 am I could not get this ability to work. I learned it, and have more than enough in one skill, and not enough in the other. The help file reads as an either-or situation, so I took this to mean 300 riding is *not* required.
It is indeed an either/or situation for the skill requirement, there was a bug. Try it again! (syntax example: train horse teach mount call)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be neat if the Mount Call/Whistle effect was amplified by Solca, so that it extends one room further out in the wilderness.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Mount Dismiss:

Train an animal to vacate the immediate premise with a firm slap on their flanks. Animals trained in this capacity will head off in a random cardinal direction, one room away. Cannot be used while mounted.

Figure this would give a quick way to get steeds out of immediate harm's way and tie in well with MOUNT CALL itself.

Syntax: train steed teach mount dismiss
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

You offer you your assistance in training Kyveli in the following: mount call
You is offering to train Kyveli in the following: Mount Call
(Details: Teach the mount to return to its owner from a short distance away when the owner calls for it (via the mount call command).)
If you'd like to accept this training offer, type train accept within the next 30 seconds.
Kyveli is my horse.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

With the newest ability meaning that we can train mounts in multiple things, is it intended that we only be able to fully train them in one thing? I would assume so, but I'd rather be sure. There's always the option of waiting an hour to train them in the other thing, too.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Right, the training lasts longer than the mount's training fatigue, and it's intentional that one can't fully train up a mount in all training types available in one sitting (otherwise we wouldn't have training fatigue at all). You can train them a little in both and work on increasing the duration by having them trained in both again later after the training fatigue has worn off, or you can train them in only one thing at a time and rotate what you train them with each session after training fatigue wears off. The choice is yours!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO