Help me understand Dodge rolls

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Squeak

Help me understand Dodge rolls

Post by Squeak »

Did some impromptu dodge testing this morning ... and the results are all over the place.

Combat roll potential for dodge is 691. With absolutely nothing on (wandering around a graveyard in the nude was a sight) and my dodge rolls are 694. Wearing only clothes (and two spike-knuckles because I forgot about them) for a net total of just under 4 pounds, drops my dodge rolls to 676. So, an 18 point difference for 4 pounds. So, per pound (worn + carried) dodge is affected by 4.5.

Wearing my usual "kit" of about 25.42 pounds, drops my dodge roll to 604. A 90 point difference. Per pound, dodge would be affected by 3.5.

However, if I stow my armors, my dodge goes UP to 622. I'm still carrying the same weight, but I'm suddenly unaffected nearly as much for not wearing it. I'm guessing this is a product of how things are calculated while within containers - Rias mentioned once that the weight is cut while in a container, so okay.

Testing with a pound of riln, with a full kit (roll of 604), drops my roll to 598 for a difference of 6 per pound... Wait, what? So riln effects dodge more per pound, though stored in a container.

Granted, I'm not the greatest of mathematicians. I don't like math in the least, but the numbers just don't seem right to me. I know dodge is affected most per pound compared to the other defensive skills, but I think there's room enough to be tweaked so as not to be so drastic and still maintain differences between the three.

Edited to add: Perhaps it should go off of overall encumbrance instead of "per pound"? Might receive a penalty of -25 at ENC 1, -50 at ENC 2, where as the other two defensive skills don't start receiving penalties until 2 or 3?

Also edited to add: As a character, I don't carry a whole lot with me at any given point (outside of scavenging). Clothes equal about 8 lbs (boots, shirt, trousers, toolbelt - most of which holds something small). Armor is 17 pounds. And the final items are a pouch and a satchel. All of this worn, immediately puts me into ENC 1. Removing the jacket and vambraces (11lbs) puts me back into ENC 0. All told, if I max out the storage of all my containers, I'm rarely above ENC 3 - which was the goal in choosing such small containers in the first place.