Potential Fix: Rapier / Longsword / Cutlass

For discussion about game mechanics in general.
Gorth

Re: Potential Fix: Rapier / Longsword / Cutlass

Post by Gorth »

It depends how you quantify such things. I would be more inclined to give a longsword a higher parry chance, not substantially more mind you, because of it's length, weight and size.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Karjus

Re: Potential Fix: Rapier / Longsword / Cutlass

Post by Karjus »

Pendulum wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:50 pm
Karjus wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:33 am
2) Individual weapon parry modifiers are intended, and across the board. This might not necessarily effect longsword vs rapier, but an argument could be made for the former being better at the act than the later.
Nope. Rapier is going to be noticeably better at parry than longsword, at the very least in blade vs. blade comat. If we had such a manoever as riposte, the rapier would excel at the parry + riposte combo.

Our humble mechanics don't address it, but if the weight of the incoming weapon were a factor, the more substantial blade of the longsword would be better at turning away a heavier weapon, such as an incoming mace or handaxe, and less likely to break while doing so.
Your second paragraph is exactly why I mentioned it. You're not going out there fighting purely blade on blade, or even blades of similar weight category. A lot of the time, not even one on one.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."