metal Armors and Electricity

The place to discuss combat gear.
Spidercat

metal Armors and Electricity

Post by Spidercat »

So, playing around with that particular damage type, I've noticed that electricity seems to be resisted by even plate armor. Light armors and heavy metal armor are not too far apart in the damage that seaps through. I'll need to do a bit more testing, but I'm somewhat surprised electricity would get a damage reduction, rather than a damage boost against metal heavy armors.

And on that thought, how high should a damage boost be that's reasonable?
Gorth

Re: metal Armors and Electricity

Post by Gorth »

Not a ton. As much as it is metal, most of the metals we can make armor of aren't the most conductive, to my knowledge. Also, remember that plate, chain and brigandine are rigid metal over cloth or leather.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

All I know is it was both entertaining and exhausting to read the zillions of debates on various tabletop forums and such about this scenario. Some say heavy metal armor should make electric attacks do more damage, others say it would insulate well. There's all sorts of talk about what's worn under it (as Gorth pointed out, our metal armor isn't metal against bare skin), whether the person struck is grounded or not, et cetera et cetera. It looks like my impression was that the people arguing that the metal armor should help defend against it, not make it worse, were in the right. It's not a hill I'm ready to die on though, with no strong feelings or even recollection as to what specifically convinced me to lean that way, so feel free to discuss and argue otherwise here in this thread!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

I personally think metal armours should have a weakness to fire/heat damage, or at least make it deteriorate quicker.
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

It might be reasonable if copper dominant armor (so plate, and possibly splint when players can make that) either takes more durability damage from electricity (copper specifically being VERY conductive) or increased the incoming electricity damage by a bit.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."