Potential Shadgard Town Meeting for 15 Septum

A mining settlement and haven for freedom-seeking exiles, recently beginning to embrace gas and steam technologies.
Rias
DEV

Re: Potential Shadgard Town Meeting for 15 Septum

Post by Rias »

When it comes to posting logs I think there's a good deal of etiquette to consider, especially once it's involving other people. Whether the log includes those other peoples' actions, or just speaking about them or referencing them in some way, I feel it's only polite to consider whether or not they'd want the information to be posted OOCly on a public forum. If I had a character with a dramatic backstory and they decided to open up to someone else, and then that someone else posted a log because they really enjoyed the presentation or the story itself or whatever other positive well-meaning reason, I'd still feel deflated to have that made public beyond my control to a mass audience via an OOC medium when it was something I only meant to share in confidence to those who I felt my character trusted. As a GM, I'd not want OOC logs posted publicly that reveal or hint at the secret identities or plans or actions or abilities of some NPCs or their organization. I think it's much more fun and feels more genuine to have these experiences in the game itself, and for interested characters to ask around in-game if they're interested in learning more and discovering these things naturally.

There's also the matter of someone potentially being talked about when they aren't there, and then having that posted. It can be a nasty experience both for the person who was talked about and for the person who spoke in confidence assuming their words weren't going to be broadcasted from the OOC rooftops. It also becomes a potential stage for people to OOCly jab at or criticize others in a not-so-great roundabout way. I would love to assume the best behavior of everyone, but unfortunately it has been a problem in the past both in my own games as well as in other games I've played.

When it comes to separating IC and OOC we can assume the best of everyone, but that's still going to affect people. I like to think I'm fairly decent at separating IC and OOC, but I'm still not going to want to read the DM's notes/script on the next tabletop campaign before playing it. I want the game to be a genuine experience, discovering things naturally and in the right time. I want to experience the twists when they happen so I can have a real reaction in the moment and not feel like I have to fake it because I already knew what was going to happen beforehand. On the flip side, as a GM for a game, I want the players to have that genuine experience, rather than learn of things OOCly. Some people may feel they aren't able to play or open up as comfortably if they're anxious about the possibility that anything they do around others could potentially end up being posted for everyone to see. Whenever I'm at a social function and someone whips out their camera and talks about how they're going to share a video of it online, I immediately move out of the camera's view because I just don't like my personal activity being shared with the world at large. That's a me thing, but I feel it's only polite to be considerate of the fact that others might feel that way as well.

The meeting this thread is about would definitely contain what I consider plot spoilers, as well as several things character were saying at least somewhat in confidence of not being broadcasted beyond the specific company they were among because they were among that specific company for a specific purpose. I will freely admit my comment of "Best meeting ever" was not a good one to make here on the BBS because it created an atmosphere of OOC exclusivity or "In vs Out" and I apologize for that.

I think personal logs of one's own experiences, or groups where the poster is aware that all are fine with the idea of their contribution being posted (including the GMs if it involves some kind of plot-relevant info) are fine, but I do think there are a lot of very good reasons why posting logs should be done carefully and considerately. I'm all for more logs posted as long as all of the above has been considered first.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Navi

Post by Navi »

Guess my willingness to argue the point in this particular instance relies on the fact that this was a public event. Not only that, but a hesitantly planned one. All one needs to do is look at the title to determine that this meeting wasn't set in stone. For a player to choose this as a prime time to unveil some deep plotted backstory, I'd assume they were fine with it being public, and if I wasn't, then I'd ask first, much how many others in our community have asked me in the past. As far as GM plots, again, this wasn't something set in stone, why would choosing this event as a prime opportunity to execute something without giving forewarning in advance be a positive thing? If the idea was to bring together those players who were center to its execution, why allow it to be posted about publicly at all? I'm not saying that every log should be posted ever, but public events, things that anyone would have had an opportunity to observe should in most cases be public. Unless something has changed, everyone has access to Shadgard, save for two characters that I am aware of.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

My point is that people will often choose what they wish to reveal based on present company in the moment, and shouldn't have to worry that it could potentially be publicly broadcast on the BBS or chat or some other OOC medium when it was only meant for the present audience in the actual game itself. We should be considerate of the possibility that some people may not want their character's actions, conversations, and/or character meta-info shared OOCly. I feel this is polite consideration and respect for our fellow players that should apply regardless of whether something happened in a public or private in-game area. Thinking "I don't mind if someone else here in the inn's common room potentially observes this IC" does not equate to "I don't mind every detail of this interaction being posted to a public OOC forum for people who weren't even there."
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

Thanks to everyone who showed up to the little 'meeting-after-the-first-meeting' tonight. I really enjoyed all of the back and forth discussion, arguments, and declarations all around!
artus

Post by artus »

Thank you for hosting this. Kinda admit I didn't do as well as I thought, having suffered from sudden mild food poisoning all the way through it. But everyone's so forthright that I have little trouble following along. Thank you for making even tension fun.:)
Let's see what comes next.