Coats as armor

The place to discuss combat gear.
ThresherAle

Coats as armor

Post by ThresherAle »

Posting in the random encounters thread got me thinking about armor and fashion. The random encounters have got me wearing a leather cuirass these days, which isn't my ideal visual for the character. One idea is to have weaker versions of the padded and leather cuirass that can be hidden under a shirt, or disguised as a regular shirt itself with the protective layer underneath.

But what if coats, dusters, jackets, longcoats, and their like counted as a small amount of armor protection for the torso and arms? Less than padded armor, but better than nothing. Make it so they don't contribute if there's a dedicated piece of armor on that spot already. This is for the folks like myself who aren't fighters and don't walk around in armor, but would appreciate a little protection from the coat they're already wearing as part of their outfit when they get jumped by a random encounter or discovered sneaking around a dangerous area. I've got a heavy wool overcoat IRL and I feel invincible whenever I wear that thing.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
nobody

Re: Coats as armor

Post by nobody »

The disguised armor would probably be a great addition to adventurer's guild shops, and maybe warriors' too (I'd say just nightblades, but marauders also lean deceptive and I've yet to meet a duelist that wasn't concerned with looking cool).
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

Not entirely related, but as good a place as any: it would be nice if padded jackets were actually jackets - with sleeves included. Less spam as far as inventory goes, and everyone looks good in a nice gambeson. I'm sure it's something to do with how armor is coded in, but still!
Jilliana

Post by Jilliana »

I was thinking of suggesting something along these lines so I'm happy to find that it has already been said.

This isn't just good for those of you who play non-combat characters, it's also great for those who do play armor-wearing types when we are doing the dailies that don't involve fighting. I suppose wearing a robe over my outfit could work, but my char wearing a robe at all is rather laughable.

I think that any jacket of any sort made of leather should prove some minimal protection without impacting things like encumberance.
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Jilliana wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:50 pm I was thinking of suggesting something along these lines so I'm happy to find that it has already been said.

This isn't just good for those of you who play non-combat characters, it's also great for those who do play armor-wearing types when we are doing the dailies that don't involve fighting. I suppose wearing a robe over my outfit could work, but my char wearing a robe at all is rather laughable.

I think that any jacket of any sort made of leather should prove some minimal protection without impacting things like encumberance.
Clothing in general imparts a small protective bonus already, and this, obviously, includes jackets.

See: viewtopic.php?t=2047 for more information!