Suggestion for "Exclusive" Occult Abilities

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Maina

Suggestion for "Exclusive" Occult Abilities

Post by Maina »

Presently, Druidry and Glyphs are both learned by finding specific objects/places in the game.

It is a frustrating experience to go to the effort to find these places and things only to be told that your character cannot learn them for reasons that feel very meta: that they are the wrong class.

It is also a little frustrating that, as a Warlock, I have a huge Arcana cap but all the Glyphs in the game that are available to me can be learned by about 150 skill.

In the future, there has been talk of the ability tree update making caps more flexible, so this issue may be wider spread by that point.

So I suggest a change to how Class-exclusive Occult Abilities are handled:

1. Give them a skill requirement rather than a Class one. This would allow classes with higher caps to have more options while still making it easy to keep the dabblers from learning everything. It would also reward specializing more. Increased duration is nice, but the cost very quickly becomes far higher than the reward.

2. Focus on Class-specific boons for abilities rather than class-specific abilities (as has been the case with Primalist mostly thus far)

If there is something like the elemental channeling glyphs that you really want to be exclusive but without requiring prohibitively high skills, I think you could do that with #2. Maybe the water-channeling glyph for non-Arcanists just gives you a bath when you step into the circle, etc. Restricting access to the Etcher will also help keep Arcanists feeling special without unnaturally gating glyphs and primal powers.